Channel Islands Audio VHP•2
Mar 19, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #2 of 41
I have been tempted to try a CIA amp, but haven't ever pulled the trigger...

Mar 19, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #3 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been tempted to try a CIA amp, but haven't ever pulled the trigger...

I haven't yet heard the VHP-2, but quite a while ago I had the VHP-1 for a while, and that was a very nice amp.

Visually it's reminiscent of the comparable Creek amp. It's nicely crafted and looks/feels very nice on a desktop, night table, etc. It has a big, smooth deluxe-feel volume knob, and the VHP-2 now has an Alps Blue Velvet pot.

The VHP-1 took about 200+ hours to really open up. Initially it had a kind of satiny signature which was seductive, but a bit too euphonic. With break in the satiny/silky coloration receded, though a nice little hint of it remained and the overall sound was smooth and comfortable. It had very good sound stage width and depth, and with break in it developed rich midrange texture and good mid-stage body and "volume".

The VHP-1 and the Portaphile Maxxed have been the only 2 small amps I've experienced that compensate beautifully for the DT770's 2 main peculiarities: they fill in the midrange frequency dip and also fill in the "hole" in the center of the sound stage so that there's a sense of full bodied and contiguous sound stage presentation and richer texture.

I am curious to hear how Dusty improved the SQ with the VHP-2.

Mar 20, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #4 of 41
CIA has been popping up a bit more as of late. I find them very intriguing indeed in that Dusty seems to make straight-forward kit that just plain ol' works. It's why I like Ray Samuels' stuff - it just works because of his attention to detail and use of quality parts. It'll be interesting if someone gets the VHP-2 and post impressions. I'm very interested in his DAC myself.

Mar 20, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #5 of 41
Funny you post this as just today I was looking at their website. Not so much their headphone amp but some of their preamps and phono preamps.

I might make the forray into a turntable and am looking at my options.

Mar 21, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #6 of 41
I've certainly enjoyed the vhp-1 ever since it was released, and have never had the urge to upgrade. That is, until now. He should make a balanced amp to go with his balanced DAC.

Mar 21, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He should make a balanced amp to go with his balanced DAC.

Now there's a great idea! Dusty? You paying attention?
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #8 of 41
People rave about his headphone amps, and someday I'd like to find out why. I've never heard one, but I have Dusty's phono preamp. Little no-nonsense silver boxes that yes indeed, sound great, despite the lack of boutique electronics internally. I opened up the preamp and power supply one dull rainy day, and found pretty generic components inside. The magic must be in the design, because it's one of the best phono preamps I have heard, even without the external power supply (which does very little as far as I can tell).

Mar 21, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #9 of 41
Quote:

I've certainly enjoyed the vhp-1 ever since it was released, and have never had the urge to upgrade. That is, until now. He should make a balanced amp to go with his balanced DAC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now there's a great idea! Dusty? You paying attention?
evil_smiley.gif

x2^2

Mar 22, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

He should make a balanced amp to go with his balanced DAC.

He does, it's called two VHP2's. Considering that the VDA2 has RCA output jacks, it's easier to hook up two single-ended headphone amps to than any other DAC I know of. Just put two RCA cables from L+ and L- outputs on the VDA2 to the L and R inputs of the VHP2. Repeat with the R channels and another VHP2. Rewire your headphone to have two TRS jacks instead of two XLR for most balanced amps, plug into the two VHP2's (remembering which is the L and which the R channel), and BAM! an all CIA balanced headphone rig!

Mar 22, 2007 at 11:31 AM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He does, it's called two VHP2's. Considering that the VDA2 has RCA output jacks, it's easier to hook up two single-ended headphone amps to than any other DAC I know of. Just put two RCA cables from L+ and L- outputs on the VDA2 to the L and R inputs of the VHP2. Repeat with the R channels and another VHP2. Rewire your headphone to have two TRS jacks instead of two XLR for most balanced amps, plug into the two VHP2's (remembering which is the L and which the R channel), and BAM! an all CIA balanced headphone rig!

Do you think volume matching L+R channels might be a bit of a problem with this configuration? Easier I guess if the VHP2 used a stepped attenuator, but I presume it doesn't?

Mar 22, 2007 at 12:17 PM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Very cool idea! I just may steal your idea, Iron_Dreamer, and start a separate thread about this. Think about it, one could build a relatively inexpensive balanced config. The key is balanced out from a DAC.

Big props to you, Iron_Dreamer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back