Channel Islands Audio - Transient MKII Asynchronous USB Converter
Apr 13, 2013 at 1:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

lithium1085

100+ Head-Fier
I decided to start my own thread as I could not find any other existing thread about this product. I was curious if anyone had any experience with this DAC + DDC? The only other similar product that I can think of is the resonessence labs concero. It has just appeared on the 2013 TAS editors' choice DACs under $1000. 

Apr 15, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #2 of 11
Greg Weaver on positive feedback has named it in their annual awards along with its separate DC power supply upgrade (VDC-5 MkII). He says
"[size=small]
This two box system brought my music sever/s to life in a way that was remarkably similar to that created by some DACs that retail for nearly [/size][size=small]
five times[/size][size=small]
 as much as this unpretentious and stirring combo. This is just a stoopid good choice for any audiophile looking for exceptional computer audio playback, and it is especially exciting for those on a budget."[/size]

Apr 25, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #3 of 11
Over on the CI AudioCircle forum, Dusty described the difference between the Transient and the VDA-2 as the VDA-2 having a better analog stage, and the Transient a better digital. Specifically, it seems as though the Transient is focused on having really good clocking. So, really low jitter and then making use of those clocks with the I2S outputs. The VDA-2 brings balanced output to the table at the expense of the digital-to-digital. I'm still debating which of the two to go with for my next DAC. 

eta balanced/d-d tradeoff & fix name

Apr 25, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
Over on the CI AudioCircle forum, Dusty described the difference between the Transient and the VDA-2 as the VDA-2 having a better analog stage, and the Transient a better digital. Specifically, it seems as though the Transient is focused on having really good clocking. So, really low jitter and then making use of those clocks with the I2S outputs. The VDA-2 brings balanced output to the table at the expense of the digital-to-digital. I'm still debating which of the two to go with for my next DAC. 

well the DAC has got good reviews by itself and in my opinion transient offers the larger ability to be included as a part of a superior system in the future. Considering that DAC technology is progressing rapidly, this is a huge virtue of the transient....

Also, have there been any changes in VDA-2 since 2008?

May 6, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #7 of 11
Having spoken to Dusty about it, the two would seemingly work well in partnership as well... A solid DAC with that delicious discrete analog stage in the VDA, fed by the exceptional clock in the Transient acting as DDC. No different than folks feeding their high-end DACs with Audiophileos, &c.

Sep 25, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #8 of 11
My new Transient is arriving later this week. I'll be comparing it to my DAC2 DX. My intent here is to have a softer, fuller sound than the Benchmark. From what I understand, the Wolfson chip gives up the ultimate detail in the ESS Sabre for a fuller midrange. Plus i need a portable unit and the ddc section is just another plus. Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back