Changing first name
Jan 26, 2006 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

mxs1030

500+ Head-Fier
I'll make this short:

I was born in China, moved to the US when I was 5, and unbeknownst to me until recently, my legal name is still my Chinese name. A lawyer would cost a ton of $, searching google brought up a name-change form I can buy for $40 or so.

Is anyone here familiar with getting a name change if your birthplace is outside the US? Any information/links would be great, I've tried searching google but I'm having a hard time finding relevant information. Thanks in advance.

Jan 26, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #2 of 27
I'd suggest going to your local county courthouse and asking. It's probably just a matter of filing a form. Another option, frequently taken, is just use the name you choose, and leave your given name as your "legal" name. No reason for them to be the same except convenience.

Jan 26, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 27
You want to hear bad? My wife's name is absolutely butchered on her Social Security Card. I might as well say what it is because it isn't even REMOTELY close to her actual name. For some reason her folks said her name and the social security folk heard it as the following - "Yea N. A. Do" no joke.
eek.gif
I keep telling her to take care of it because it is a pain in the rear every time we have to use it for documentation, but she never has time.

Jan 26, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

I was born in China, moved to the US when I was 5, and unbeknownst to me until recently, my legal name is still my Chinese name.

Why would that be a problem ? What did I miss ?
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

If it is not strictly important to legally change your name for documents and you just want to be "called" by another first name do it the way it has always been done.Just when asked tell folks the "amercianized" version of you Chinese name which will then become your "name" when folks refer to you or call to you.It is a great american tradition to have an "AKA" (Also Known As
wink.gif
) though one usually associated with criminals
very_evil_smiley.gif

BTW-My name is actually Richard which except for legal documents I never use.Because i use "Rick" in all things that is how I am known and even in business dealings so has by default become my AKA in a way even though just a Nickname derived from the given name of Richard.By actually using it over many years the name has gained actual legality by default in many things

Jan 26, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
Why would that be a problem ? What did I miss ?
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

If it is not strictly important to legally change your name for documents and you just want to be "called" by another first name do it the way it has always been done.Just when asked tell folks the "amercianized" version of you Chinese name which will then become your "name" when folks refer to you or call to you.It is a great american tradition to have an "AKA" (Also Known As
wink.gif
) though one usually associated with criminals
very_evil_smiley.gif

BTW-My name is actually Richard which except for legal documents I never use.Because i use "Rick" in all things that is how I am known and even in business dealings so has by default become my AKA in a way even though just a Nickname derived from the given name of Richard.By actually using it over many years the name has gained actual legality by default in many things

Yep, in passport, bank account, tax stuff, W-2, etc, she just used what she knew as the correct spelling of her maiden name, and actually keeps using her maiden name for a lot of things other than her business name and other "everyday" usage, where our family name kicks in. So basically she has her married name, maiden name, and a butchered name on the social security card that she has to keep around because hey, it's her social security card, and she's ever really bothered to formally change any of them where the pushback took more than 15 minutes.

Jan 26, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
You want to hear bad? My wife's name is absolutely butchered on her Social Security Card. I might as well say what it is because it isn't even REMOTELY close to her actual name. For some reason her folks said her name and the social security folk heard it as the following - "Yea N. A. Do" no joke.
eek.gif
I keep telling her to take care of it because it is a pain in the rear every time we have to use it for documentation, but she never has time.

tongue.gif
Haha, I thought a name had to be written down on something, before it's instated. The social security folks just trusted their hearing?

I'm going to think this over, I absolutely dread waiting in courts
eek.gif

Jan 26, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #8 of 27
Do what I do - I keep my legal name of Teerawit and use it for official purposes, but go by my call name for day to day purposes.

-Tim

Jan 26, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #9 of 27
Regard your heritage and culture with honor. There is nothing wrong with having a chinese name. Just go by your nickname for everyday use if that makes it easier.

Jan 26, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
Regard your heritage and culture with honor. There is nothing wrong with having a chinese name. Just go by your nickname for everyday use if that makes it easier.

It's not that, just a convinence issue.

Jan 27, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by mxs1030
tongue.gif
Haha, I thought a name had to be written down on something, before it's instated. The social security folks just trusted their hearing?

I'm going to think this over, I absolutely dread waiting in courts
eek.gif

I don't think you have to actually go into a court room. I think you just go to the court house and fill out some paper work and pay a nominal fee. You could probably even call them to find out all you need to do. I'm sure that you don't need a lawyer. Since most women that get married change thier name, it common practice so they'll know exactly what you have to do.

Jan 27, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #13 of 27
lol...this thread reminded me of that PETA guy who legally changed his name to kentuckyfriedcruelty.com...lol, what an idiot. If you absolutely must change your name you should make it something cool at least...like Max Power!

Jan 27, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by mxs1030
I'll make this short:

I was born in China, moved to the US when I was 5, and unbeknownst to me until recently, my legal name is still my Chinese name. A lawyer would cost a ton of $, searching google brought up a name-change form I can buy for $40 or so.

Is anyone here familiar with getting a name change if your birthplace is outside the US? Any information/links would be great, I've tried searching google but I'm having a hard time finding relevant information. Thanks in advance.

I know this suggestion will be a PITA, but I suggest you do this through an attorney. There are just enough things that need to be done right that I think it is worth it.

Jan 27, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless
lol...this thread reminded me of that PETA guy who legally changed his name to kentuckyfriedcruelty.com...lol, what an idiot. If you absolutely must change your name you should make it something cool at least...like Max Power!

Forget Max Power - how about OPTIMUS PRIME?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimus_Prime_(person)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back