Change of tastes- moving away from a fast & bright sound?
Aug 20, 2005 at 1:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

seeberg

Headphoneus Supremus
I thought a bit about my current rig and my present musical presentation tastes(I don't question my musical preferences
biggrin.gif
), and I've come to sort of a crossroads, now that my tastes for headphones have hit their peak for now with my new HD580's. What it is, is that ever since I got my HD580's (these were preowned and burned in for a year before I got them-it shows- they sound amazing to my ears), I've been contemplating whether or not I should keep my SA1000's.

I enjoy my SA1000's, don't get me wrong, and they have incredible comfort after coming from Grado SR60's (these are keepers- I am never departing with mine
biggrin.gif
), and a sound that is fast, detailed, and crisp. But my preference has changed drastically ever since I got a taste of detail and smoothness and I don't know if I want to go back, at least not for a while. It's as if the sound I now have is THE sound I wanted from the beginning, and the only improvements I want are based on a more detailed spec of that signature, the Sennheiser "house" sound, to whatever extent I can achieve(I've heard HD650's+Cardas cable, and if I upgrade anytime in the future I'd prefer to go to an even higher level, if I can, why not?)

Right now, I find that I wouldn't really miss the SA1000 sound if I decide to give it up, that the sound I now have fills in all the blanks for my personal tastes. Remember that I don't knock the SA1000's, it's just that they may not be my thing anymore, and there's nothing wrong with that. Personally, I regard them as a close contender or equal to the HD580's in many aspects, and while the sound is arguably as good, it's just not my sound anymore. They sound great, but differently than I want, and different from what I get with the HD580.

Basically, to sum it up, should I lean out my headphone collection by one and enjoy the sound I now have by sticking with a select few cans, or should I do more with the sound I may give up and expand my collection?

Decisions, decisions
confused.gif

580smile.gif
Abe

Aug 20, 2005 at 1:43 PM Post #3 of 20
Hmmm...just an honest opinion from a newbie...if you don't mind that at all..

Personally, since I discovered Head-fi, I have been having upgraditis because of my curiousity in listening to other cans out there. I first got the SR60, then the MS1, then the HD280Pro...nothing seems to satisfy me. I have heard from friends who owned the HD600 that you will know when you find THE ONE...e.g. for him, he doesn't care quite much about upgrading beyond his HD600 because he has found THE ONE. I listened to the HD600 and it still didn't do it for me...

I thought what he said was rubbish....until I got the DT880. I just had the hair behind my neck raise when listening to Dave Brubeck's Time Out through my DT880...and that is through s crap Panasonic Portable CDP and PA2V2... Believe it or not, I really believe that I have found the one and I have lost my appetite to keep upgrading or keep looking (prior to this, I wanted to own the HD580/600/650 and the K501). I just don't have that desire to keep looking anymore...mainly I think that I have found THE ONE..

Just my humble opinion of course..

Aug 20, 2005 at 1:48 PM Post #4 of 20
I am with siong. Keep searching for the one and there won't be any questions. Of course, I also think it is beneficial to have some cans laying around to mix up the sound a bit. On that note, do not sell the Sa1k. I bet you will miss it when it is gone.

Aug 20, 2005 at 1:58 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickG
What?

Huh? What? Yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaahhhhh!
(Oh, sorry, I couldn't hear you.
wink.gif
)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sionghchan
I thought what he said was rubbish....until I got the DT880. I just had the hair behind my neck raise when listening to Dave Brubeck's Time Out through my DT880...and that is through s crap Panasonic Portable CDP and PA2V2... Believe it or not, I really believe that I have found the one and I have lost my appetite to keep upgrading or keep looking (prior to this, I wanted to own the HD580/600/650 and the K501). I just don't have that desire to keep looking anymore...mainly I think that I have found THE ONE..

Just my humble opinion of course..

I totally see what you mean, it's like finding a love. That 'something' that works so well with what you want and need. I think I've found mine too, short of going all out (electrostats+tubes, etc.) just to hear what I'm missing-even if I can't own the stuff, I'd still like to try it, of course, so I'm not totally closing myself off to new experiences. Also, I should mention that I'm not a headphone-purpose type listener. I don't limit Grado's to rock, or Sennheisers to classical. I think headphones can take anything and present it in a unique way. I like that I use a few cans for everything instead of a bunch of cans for few uses, hence my thoughts on slimming down my rig just a tad to round it out better.
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
I am with siong. Keep searching for the one and there won't be any questions. Of course, I also think it is beneficial to have some cans laying around to mix up the sound a bit. On that note, do not sell the Sa1k. I bet you will miss it when it is gone.

Hmmm, I dunno. I still get alot of that high detail, albeit with a little less articulation and attack with the ER6i's.
580smile.gif
Abe

Aug 20, 2005 at 2:18 PM Post #6 of 20
I started out with dry, warm, and bassy low end cans (PX-100, HD497), and at the time, I was quite satisfied with them, but I always liked a brighter sound, and I remember being bowled over by the Grado sound, so I jumped into a SR225, I was quite happy for a while, but I too seemed to have questions about what else was out there. I tried the 580 and 600, and although I liked it, I missed the livelier sound of the SR225s. Like Siong, I bought the DT880's at the same time, and I think I've found my pitstop for a while. It gives me the brighter sound, as well as the refinement I was missing from all the other cans I've heard. Like him, I think I've found "the one" for a while. I added a decent amp (Headroom Micro), and I have all the resolution, soundstaging, details that I can possibly expect to hear. I think the only way I would hear a big difference is to go to upgrade the whole chain (a much higher end source, high end cables, much higher end amp like GS-1, Black Cube, or tube)

So enough of my history, the point is: people should keep searching until answer their questions and curiosity, eventually you find a happy place to rest for a while. And then find more music to enjoy.

Aug 20, 2005 at 2:31 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
I think the only way I would hear a big difference is to go to upgrade the whole chain (a much higher end source, high end cables, much higher end amp like GS-1, Black Cube, or tube)

So enough of my history, the point is: people should keep searching until answer their questions and curiosity, eventually you find a happy place to rest for a while. And then find more music to enjoy.

I agree wholeheartedly. I've found the answer to my curiosities for a while, and I'm now very actively finding more music to enjoy(speaking of which, keep your eyes out for my upcoming review of the Wolf's Rain OST set, awesome stuff there from Yokko Kanno and her friends.)

And about upgrading the whole chain, I think I'd have to do the same. I'd like to go to tubes with high end cables, source, and 'phones, but now is not the time for it- I've got a novel to write and a life to catch up on. When I get back up to speed, I'm going all out($500-$2000+) on something really nice, maybe a Stax tube+stat combo or something. Until then, I'm quite content with where I stand, and it's a very, very, enjoyable spot, IMO.
580smile.gif
Abe

Aug 20, 2005 at 3:20 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

I just don't have that desire to keep looking anymore...mainly I think that I have found THE ONE..

A gree with this too. I was crazy with buying and trying all kinds of headphones, and then (because of Headfi), I bought a pair of Beyer DT770Pro/80's, and that's it. I don't even listen to my HD650's anymore, not because they aren't good cans, but because for me, the DT770's are "the one". They just are.

This will vary incredibly widely from person to person, but I believe there is a headphone that will provide almost anyone long-term satisfaction.

Aug 22, 2005 at 10:10 AM Post #9 of 20
Thanks for your input, everyone. I agree that you can find that one headphone that meets your needs, to which I believe I have found mine in the HD580's.
I've done a little more thinking about it, and at present, I have decided part with them. Who knows? Maybe I'll go for something in the same vein but on another level in the future?

Anyway, more thoughts on what I should do? Post 'em, I appreciate it.
580smile.gif
Abe

Aug 22, 2005 at 1:04 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
I know in my heart that satisfaction will never come. That's the magic of addiction. There will always be a new headphone either already on the market or soon will be.
evil_smiley.gif

Haha, and I eagerly await the arrival of the Stax Omega III's when the upgraditis gets me again!
lambda.gif
Abe

Aug 22, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #12 of 20
it's a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness
600smile.gif

Aug 23, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by dano1122
it's a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness
600smile.gif

I fully agree. Mental illness is the name of the game when you realise it for what it is.

"Hobby" is what you call it when the missus asks what happened to the rent money.

:lol:

Aug 23, 2005 at 5:40 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerebral_Mamba
I don't get it
confused.gif
confused.gif
How can you find THE ONE before reaching the Orpheus
very_evil_smiley.gif

Well seeberg did say he wanted something further up th line than the 650 & Cardas...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back