Chances of a Cold and/or Early Winter?
Aug 31, 2009 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Lazarus Short

Headphoneus Supremus
This is from a Kansas City viewpoint, but I'm asking here for input from other areas of the Northern Hemisphere. The entire summer here in KC has been an extension of spring, cool, rainy, and overcast (for the most part). My daughter reported that there was brief snow here last week, in August. The other morning, early, I was driving down the street I live on, and I could have sworn there was frost on some of the rooftops. I looked at the onboard thermometer, and it read 51 degrees F. Too warm, I thought. The mint in the yard is looking stringy, like it does much later in a normal year.

Now Patrick82 tells us that he moved in from his tent because it was getting cold, again in August. Granted, it's Sweden, and maybe he is unused to living out of doors, but it's August. What gives??

Anyone???
popcorn.gif

Aug 31, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #3 of 9
Been having a very similar summer in Michigan, very cool and mild with a touch more rain than usual, especially for august... its been low 60's here the past weekend and I mean its usually high 80's around this time year.

Aug 31, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #4 of 9
Really wierd summer here too, with a looong spring to start off, with only 6 or maybe 8 hot days (92+) with the highest recorded rainfall totals ever for August and overall a very wet and cool summer.

My prediction is for a warmer than average winter though; If not a total metrological Apocalypse...

Aug 31, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #5 of 9
Another Michigander here. Yeah, honestly, we didn't even start having summer weather until mid- July. Until then, it was only above like 75 for one weekend in late May/ early June. It's been a pretty disappointing summer, as far as weather goes. I'm crossing my fingers that the temperature will go back up for a little longer though.

Sep 1, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #6 of 9
It has been hot in southern California recently, but much of the Summer was cool and Spring-like. Even in July, we had some foggy, cool nights on the coast.

Further evidence is that the spiders have come out early - you usually start seeing a lot more of them right around the beginning of fall. But they're out early. Also, the cats have stopped shedding their summer coats and are starting their winter bulk-up. Or maybe they're just getting fat and lazy. Though they usually pack on an extra pound or two when it gets cold.

I've also heard that another El Niño is in the works. I would enjoy that - I miss the Pacific Northwest!

Sep 1, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Further evidence is that the spiders have come out early - you usually start seeing a lot more of them right around the beginning of fall. But they're out early.

I haven't seen one yet myself this year, but I'm told that the local wooly bears are black - folklore says that black wooly bears mean a hard winter, and pale ones mean a light winter. Anyone know what the almanac says?

Sep 1, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #8 of 9
North Central Ma. here. Also an odd summer, mostly cool and rainy with a few hot humid days, maybe a dozen, in August. It also was the first time I fired up the furnace in August, it was 52 here Saturday.
I think what I notice is the leaves are not turning yet and there are fresh blooms on a quite a few flowers. Usually you can see a few trees starting in early August and quite a few by now and I can't really find one! Now that's odd to me.

Sep 1, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #9 of 9
Here in Cali its been burning since June.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back