Chaintech AV710 vs. EMU 04040 vs. X-Fi
Jan 26, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #46 of 55
There isn't really that much difference between X-fi and AV710 SQ-wise. X-fi is somewhat colder; maybe that's why it seems more detailed, but I'd think it actually is--its DACs are newer and much better on paper (in the end it's up to personal prefs of course).

Gaming-wise, it helps, esp. through headphones. People will undoubtedly bash creative drivers, but AV710 drivers are also pretty bad (they couldn't even fix the volume slider bug for how many years now?), plus they don't get updated any more. I have heard people complaining that they never managed to get the chaintech working properly. If you have an AMD system with an nForce4 chipset motherboard, I'd go to creative forums and do some research--there are huge problems with some of the mobos.

X-fi also has bit-perfect output, btw. It can completely replace your AV710.

Jan 26, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #47 of 55
Thanks for the heads up on the amd/nforce4 situation. I'll take a look into that.

My main thing really is. is it worth the ~100 cad i'll be dishing out for better sounds in game. As in are the sounds that much better, i'm still a bit skeptical of EAX. So the dacs on the creative are "better" (at least technically speaking) than the wolfson on the chaintech?

Also, the digital out is through the flexijack which doubles at the mic right? I use my mic quite a bit so that's a bit of a problem for me.

Jan 26, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #48 of 55
Yes X-Fis XM/Platinum/Fatalty/XG Fatalty have slightly better measurements than AV-710. But IMO this is not worth at all to upgrade..
More FPS ? Spare money for your next CPU/video card upgrade.
Better sound quality ? External DAC, SQ714, Revolution 5.1, b-Enspirer, Prodigy 7.1 HiFi..

Jan 26, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #49 of 55
I'm not concerned much about FPS, I get decent rates and don't care as long as things run smoothly. The main reason behind considering this upgrade is EAX. Most gamers seem to claim it makes games that much better and I'm having trouble finding how much better it actually makes games and have no way of testing this card out to find out for myself. If it weren't for that I'd stay away from Creative due to all the issues I've had with their cards in the past.

Jan 27, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #50 of 55
If you do a fair amount of gaming, you should try the X-fi for yourself. The XTremeMusic is the best value full featured card-- and the analog/music is good.

Jan 27, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #51 of 55
Well he don´t do gaming. But I can´t tell you how sweet CMSS3D is on the A900
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #52 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthrox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My main thing really is. is it worth the ~100 cad i'll be dishing out for better sounds in game. As in are the sounds that much better, i'm still a bit skeptical of EAX.

In the games I tried that did support EAX (Tomb raider: legend and Medieval 2 total war) everything sounded extremely natural in game mode. As in, not once I could spot anything weird with the sound, positionally or otherwise. I should install UT2003 and give it a go--in a FPS the diff. will probably be even more noticeable. However, it's just a subtle sense of "correctness", not some huge change. If you are not obsessive with it, it may be not worth $100.

Quote:

So the dacs on the creative are "better" (at least technically speaking) than the wolfson on the chaintech?

Wolfson WM8728

Cirrus Logic CS4382

Quote:

Also, the digital out is through the flexijack which doubles at the mic right? I use my mic quite a bit so that's a bit of a problem for me.

You'll need an external panel that connects through the flexijack for the mic functionality. That's another $70+. There may be a cheaper way which I don't know about.

Jan 27, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #53 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahriman4891 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, it's just a subtle sense of "correctness", not some huge change. If you are not obsessive with it, it may be not worth $100.

Thanks, I think I'll pass for now, at least until I can find someone with the card and can hear it for myself. I've never had a problem playing without EAX so I guess I'll just keep on at it. From the way gamers rave about EAX I would expect significant changes not slightly better positional sound or the likes. Oh well.

Jan 27, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #54 of 55
It adapts better to your environment. It simply sounds more real then without EAX.

I suspect most that don´t run with EAX have never heard anything above EAX 2
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #55 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It adapts better to your environment. It simply sounds more real then without EAX.

I suspect most that don´t run with EAX have never heard anything above EAX 2
smily_headphones1.gif

Haha, it's true. Highest I've ever heard is EAX 2 and I was playing Starcraft so it made absolutely no difference anyways. I guess I'm just gonna have to find myself a lan tourney and highjack someone's computer if they have an X-Fi to test it out
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back