Chaintech AV710 vs. EMU 04040 vs. X-Fi
Jan 22, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #16 of 55
I've tried my AV-710 with HD595. I didn't use an amp however to do the AV-710 justice. The synergy wasn't very good since the AV-710 has quite a bit of speed and punch, since the HD595 also has a good level of energy this combo was just too "fast". I wonder if an amp would've made a difference but from these impressions I would recommend going with a source and amp that is more laid back or neutral to go with the HD595. I really like my Total Bithead with the HD595s, I read from a few threads here that this combo has great synergy. I haven't heard any better so I wouldn't know but I am extremely content with this setup.

EDIT: I used the analog hi-sample rate 2 channel mode (black 7/8 channel jack), using the wolfson dac on the AV-710.

Jan 22, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #17 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if i got the av710, i would plug from: "Green" Speaker Line-Out > T-Amp's Input?

you want to plug it in the last black jack, which is the better sounding one utilized by wolfson dac, stereo 24/96khz. but there is a trick to get sound coming out of that jack without having to upsample to 96khz.

Jan 22, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #18 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you want to plug it in the last black jack, which is the better sounding one utilized by wolfson dac, stereo 24/96khz. but there is a trick to get sound coming out of that jack without having to upsample to 96khz.

trick is to use older drivers

i'll paste my trick again:
There is an exploit in the Envy24HT-S driver's Control Panel
that you can take advantage of, but I believe this is only valid
for SPDIF output.

1) Go to the Digital Out tab and select PCM Only.
2) Then select the 8 Channel output tab and go to Sample Rate
& Immerzio 3D.
3) Under Sample Rate Select uncheck Automatic, select 44.1khz,
and re-check Automatic.
4) Go back to the 2 Channel tab and go to Digital Out.
5) Select AC3 or PCM Autoselect (48khz only).

This should result in the Envy24HT-S Control Panel essentially
being tricked into letting AC3 or PCM at 44.1 and 48khz
autoselect between eachother.

http://www.htpcnews.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3616

(tested and verified working with these drivers Envy24_Family_Drivers_V432b.zip)

Jan 22, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #20 of 55
I have had the AV710 for a month or so, the X-Fi XtremeMusic for a couple of months, and had the Emu 0404 (not USB) for a few days to.

The 0404 wasn't netural enought for me, too much bass and treble for my taste.

The X-Fi was more netural than the 0404, and had about the same level of detail. For 99% of people the X-Fi is a grat sound card for everything including music.

The AV710 was the most unique. The sound that came out of it was a bit less detailed, but it was a very pleasent sound. no harshness at all, no boomy bass.

Jan 22, 2007 at 9:02 AM Post #21 of 55
If you're a gamer, get an X-Fi. Eventually if you upgrade to an external DAC, the X-Fi will still have all it's digital processing abilities for games and output it do a DAC. It really brings headphones (2 channel) gaming into a new world.

And getting bit-perfect playback on the X-Fi is quite simple.

Jan 22, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #25 of 55
Aren't there other options ? No M-Audio Revolution 5.1 around ?

Jan 23, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #26 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And getting bit-perfect playback on the X-Fi is quite simple.

Sorry if this is N00bish but what is the best way to do this? Is there a guide anywhere?

I just purchased an X-Fi platinum and want to run it through my Zhalou dac on my main (speaker) system and get the best sound possible playing mostly mp3s and wav files.

Any X-Fi setup/playback advice would be appreciated.

Jan 23, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #27 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoneface /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry if this is N00bish but what is the best way to do this? Is there a guide anywhere?

I just purchased an X-Fi platinum and want to run it through my Zhalou dac on my main (speaker) system and get the best sound possible playing mostly mp3s and wav files.

Any X-Fi setup/playback advice would be appreciated.

i hear puttin the x-fi into "audio creation" mode sounds most neutral and without any "added effects"

Jan 23, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #28 of 55
Yes. Put X-fi in the audio creation mode and disable EAX (the cool thing is that all modes have their own settings, so disabling EAX in AC mode still leaves it intact in gaming mode). Also you can enable the bit-perfect output to prevent the resampling to 48KHz, but X-fi's resampling is so good that you don't have to worry about it.

Jan 23, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #29 of 55
In the Audio Console, you can either disable the EAX, CMSS and Crystalizer effects under the respective tabs, or enable bit-matched under the Bit Matched tab; either will work in the Entertainment mode. You do not have to select the Music Creation mode in order to enable bit matched music playback.

Jan 23, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #30 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azultra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't there other options ? No M-Audio Revolution 5.1 around ?

For the price of the M-Audio Revolution, you might as well step up to the X-Fi XtremeMusic. The whole reason that the AV-710 is a bargain is that it has the same Envy chipset as the Revolution, Prodigy, etc. for less than half the price. Granted, that only applies for two-channel listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back