Chaintech AV-710 setup guide (revised)
Mar 16, 2005 at 4:56 AM Post #46 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by maxknott
does anyone know if i can use headphones with this card???
tried all the plugs allready
confused.gif

I just got my Chaintech this afternoon and although im right between finals i HAD to check it out. It took me awhile to get it all configured since i kept doing it wrong because im dumb. Just make sure your foobar settings are right and plug your amp/phones into the black jack right next to the optical jack. that is the only one that works in high definition mode or whatever. it sounds pretty good here. I'm not "hearing new things" because of great quality or whatever, but yeah, it sounds better than my audigy 2zs in terms of the sound being a little more "clean", if i can try to use a word to describe sound, haha. Good luck.

rj

Mar 21, 2005 at 5:58 AM Post #47 of 110
ASIO/KS only supports one stream.
Your best bet would be to disable windows sounds or to use a 2nd (or onboard) sound card as default.

This isn't true. I used to use an old creative mp3+ live! card that did ks and would play sounds as well. I must say that I prefer the sound of the av-710 but the fact that it won't allow other sounds while playing in foobar is very(read incredibly) annoying. I have disabled all windows sounds but still, if I want to watch a bit of a video while I have music going in the background, music stops. I prefer the sound this card does though so I’ll keep it.

Mar 25, 2005 at 2:12 AM Post #49 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by scales
I just bought this card today and find that i cannot get any sound from my rear speakers. I have tried the alternate port as well. PLEASE HELP!!!

Are you trying to use it with surround sound (5.1) speakers? In that case you need to set the card to 5.1 channels in the Audio Deck application.

Mar 31, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #52 of 110
1.43d all the way
280smile.gif

Mar 31, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #53 of 110
Man, from my experiences with this card, a simple cmoy addition completely brings the card to life. Without the amp, the card is lacking in almost every department. That said, if you don't have an amp or don't plan to invest in one, it's not worth getting this card

Apr 4, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #54 of 110
Hey guys, I have a Chaintech AV-710 and I have read several of the setup guides but I'm still not exactly sure which route I should take, any advice would be appreciated.

First my setup is an old Pentium2 400mhz running xp pro, I am connecting this comp to my receiver and using it to play files over my network.

I will be using it to play Flac files through Foobar(first priority) and for video & streams from the net, through Windows Media Player.

I will be connecting the soundcard to my receiver via the spdif digital out, I will not be using the analog connections. My goal is to achieve bit perfect output to the DACs in my receiver.

Now I am not sure if I should use Kernal Streaming, ASIO or the Audiotrack Prodigy firmware. I *think* that if I want to use WMP(Or any other DirectSound app), my only option is to use the Audiotrack Prodigy firmware. Is this correct?

My first priority is playing Flac files with Foobar, but I would also like to use windows media player and in the future(when I get a dvd drive for this comp) pass dd/dts from dvds through to my receiver.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Apr 7, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #55 of 110
day 5 of chaintech 710, and i still can get no sound out of it. wish i could give more clues, but i am completely clueless on this one. trying to get SPDIF out, but can't even get wav out.
blink.gif

compaq P500, 256m, xp pro, usually trying foobar but also tried jriver. tried every possible setting i could find, un&reinstall in different orders, the following:

foobar 2000 0.8.3
foo_output_asio SSE3
foo_output_asio SSE
asio4all 1.8
asio4all 2.5(? the new one)
envy24 442a
envy24 451a

foo out - 16bit, 24pad32, and many of the others -
envy settings - tried both pcm and others

trying for kernel or asio, but even wav i would count as a victory at this point!! usually foobar opens the file and then stops, counter at 0:00. sometimes freezes, sometimes throw popup saying can't open device - does it have more of an errlog somewhere?

only possible clue i can really offer is attached panel from asio4all - usually shows envy as beyond logic, sometimes as running, but in either case NEVER have i seen the OUT 8x show up as anything other than unavailable.

it's really got me steamed because this was the best damn faq i've seen on ANY accessory, so i hate to have to chalk it up to my incompetence tho wouldn't be the first time
rolleyes.gif
. got all the files to flash to prodigy, but am holding that out for last resort.

if someone has ANY idea what i should do, besides take it out back ("chaintech, meet chainsaw"), i can promise you my undying gratitude and many bonus karma points!! thnx - wes

Apr 7, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #56 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by new_wes
day 5 of chaintech 710, and i still can get no sound out of it. wish i could give more clues, but i am completely clueless on this one. trying to get SPDIF out, but can't even get wav out.
blink.gif

---
if someone has ANY idea what i should do, besides take it out back ("chaintech, meet chainsaw"), i can promise you my undying gratitude and many bonus karma points!! thnx - wes

I have noticed that my chaintech just stops playing sounds guite often, especially when starting to play ac3 sounds. Restarting device from Device Manager or changing between 2ch HiSample Rate and 2ch modes fixes that. In my case the music plays, I just can't hear anything.

So can you play music in other players, WMP or winamp for example?

Apr 8, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #57 of 110
no luck with other players - there's an onboard speaker that works with the players when selected, but normally i leave uninstalled or disabled (all windows sounds off too), but can't get anything out of the chaintech - or maybe better to say, no player can start playback with the card on any settings / any mode/ any drivers. shows up in xp as configured/wrking properly though. tomorr should have chance to swap it to another pc to try my luck there -

Apr 14, 2005 at 3:35 PM Post #58 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulous
Over the black 7&8-ch jack, to Cmoy, to Headphones. I use Otachan's asioplugin + Asio4all with Winamp and all is working great, no resampling. I don't use Foobar. High test signals and udial.ape plays clear and music quality is awesome
wink.gif
. I have tested Foobar, too, but only with resampling to 96k which I don't prefer. I have used the newest drivers from the beginning. It is NOT needed to resample to 96k nor to check high sample rate 2 ch mode to get the Wolfson dac running. With 2-ch mode the Wolfson dac AND the optical output works both unresampled when set correct, and I like unresampled music much better.

PLEASE..PLEASE enlighten me on how you set it up succesfully for winamp!! i'm on windows ME btw, using version 4.32b drivers. Please give me a step by step lowdown for I'm not too sure on what to use for the input/output plugins (I followed the settings outlined by ducducpham outlined right at the bottom of this thread : http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...t=av710+winamp
but no cigar) THANKS A BUNCHA!!!

Apr 14, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #59 of 110
just got my chaintech AV710 today
biggrin.gif
. setup was a breeze, took me less than a minute
tongue.gif
. now all i need is an amp.

Apr 14, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #60 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoofy
I have noticed that my chaintech just stops playing sounds guite often, especially when starting to play ac3 sounds. Restarting device from Device Manager or changing between 2ch HiSample Rate and 2ch modes fixes that. In my case the music plays, I just can't hear anything.

i got the same problem. sometimes it just goes silent with foobar still playing but no sound. i already set windows to No Sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back