Chaintech AV-710 Line-out/Speaker-Out Jumper
Apr 22, 2004 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Earwax

Headphoneus Supremus
There're two jumpers on on this card for Line-out or Speaker-out. See the 4th post in this thead (http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=63301) for a picture, the jumpers are in the upper left quadrant.

When I first installed the card, I left the jumpers in the default speaker-out position. Since I was a bit underwhelmed with the cards sound, I took a second look at the drivers and settings recently and noticed this jumper.

I've switched them over to "line-out" now and I think this has helped. I need more listening time to be sure, my 5 minute impressions are often susceptible to placebo effect, but I think I like it. It's also still quite loud even without an external amp in place.

Which setting are the rest of you 710'ers using and what do you think about the difference? I suppose the line-out setting is bypassing some on-board amp circuit? It's still pretty loud even without an external amp.

May 4, 2004 at 8:26 AM Post #2 of 7
Sorry to bump up; I meant to post this awhile ago, but forgot.

I changed my jumpers over after reading your post and, like you, perceived increased sound quality. I thought mainly the bass was tighter, but an overall increase was present as well. I'm not sure if it's placebo or not, but hey, if it sounds good, it IS good...

(-:Stephonovich:)

May 4, 2004 at 12:22 PM Post #3 of 7
it enables the built in speaker/headphone amp on the front channel output, nothing more.. the amp should be mediocre though..

May 4, 2004 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 7
Yes, but Glassman pointed out this only affects the front out. Most AV-710 users (myself included) use the rear out, as it's the one with the Wolfson DAC.

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up, Glassman. Placebo yet again...

May 8, 2004 at 12:10 AM Post #6 of 7
wait, so do you guys plug ur headphones into the black or green plug? or do you enable hi quality and use the black plug at the end?

May 8, 2004 at 12:15 AM Post #7 of 7
You should be using the black output jack closest to the optical out; this would be the last minijack when looking from the top. If you're using ASIO4ALL, high sample rate is not required. If you aren't, you have to if you're going to be resampling to anything higher than 48KHz. Note that real-time resamplers have not shown to increase quality; some people even maintain they REDUCE quality. YMMV. I'm quite happy with bit-perfect 44.1 output via ASIO4ALL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back