Chain upgrades for my ZMFs
Jan 12, 2024 at 9:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

AnamCeoil

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

Have been in this hobby about 3 years and have progressed from Koss PortaPros to having a small collection that really meets my needs at present; in particular, I love the ZMFs that I have (Eikon, Atticus and Auteur in that order, with Bokeh to arrive soon) and the rich and emotional experience that they bring to the music when I kick back and relax.

Currently, my main ZMF listening chain is the Mojo 2 and Beyerdynamic A20 - with the A20 in particular being a revelation as it opens up the ZMFs and brings something special to them.

Funds are tight, but I have been fortunate to get an Amazon vouchers that can use to upgrade my chain. The best options I can see there are:
  • The XDuoo TA-26s to get an OTL, which is a technology I understand ZMFs shine with (there is also the option to get the Valhalla 2, but I am not sure that brings the richness and fuller tube effect with the ZMFs) or
  • The Musician Draco, which is a stretch at the pricepoint, but which would bring R2R into the chain which I understand is something special as well (Was also considering the EF400 or EF600 to get the R2R flavour - but USB only input doesn't meet my current needs, and I am already well covered for SS amps I think...)
Unfortunately, I am in a country where auditioning anything is impossible to have to buy blind... and I am limited to Amazon at present, so can't explore alternative stores. I have a Violectric V202, IFI Zen Can and Garage1217 Project Ember II so not looking at solid state or hybrids as those needs are pretty well covered I think.

I know that YMMV and all, but any insights from more knowledgeable peeps about the best next step would be very much appreciated. Enjoy the music!

Jan 12, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #3 of 28
How far are you with the Bottlehead Crack? Isn't that an OTL amp?

Jan 12, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #4 of 28
Jan 12, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #5 of 28
My personal opinion is, don't waste your money on DACs if your funds are tight. Get an OTL amp which can bring some pleasant coloration to the sound.

+1 on that! After experimenting and throwing money at kilobuck DACs, I circled back to the good old iFi Zen DAC V2. I swear, it's my favorite DAC, especially paired with my Woo WA3 and the Atrium. Good luck!

Jan 12, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #6 of 28
My personal opinion is, don't waste your money on DACs if your funds are tight. Get an OTL amp which can bring some pleasant coloration to the sound.
Thanks kindly - yes, that's where I have been leaning as well...just not sure if something at the TA-26 price point would give as much of a shift/ impact as a different DAC topology...would love to be able to go higher tier OTL but that's not possible at this stage.

Jan 12, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #7 of 28
How far are you with the Bottlehead Crack? Isn't that an OTL amp?
Unfortunately, it's not looking like I will be able to finish it....I rather overestimated my soldering skills and have run into some insurmountable (for me and my skill set) blocks. I don't have access to any builders that might be able to help out due to current location either so have to pause it for quite a while unfortunately.

Jan 12, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #8 of 28
+1 on that! After experimenting and throwing money at kilobuck DACs, I circled back to the good old iFi Zen DAC V2. I swear, it's my favorite DAC, especially paired with my Woo WA3 and the Atrium. Good luck!
Thanks for the insight! I really like my Zen Dac (V1) as well... I have the Mojo 2 in my main chain as I love the additional EQ options (which my source doesn't allow for) but the IFI house sound is really sweet to my ears. Have had my head turned by the various R2R reviews I have seen- but the change I experienced with the high-Z output of the A20 had a much more noticeable change on the sound.

Would love to hear the Woo Audio gear which I hear has great synergy with ZMFs - glad it is a great pair for you! Enjoy the music!

Jan 12, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #9 of 28
Thanks kindly - yes, that's where I have been leaning as well...just not sure if something at the TA-26 price point would give as much of a shift/ impact as a different DAC topology...would love to be able to go higher tier OTL but that's not possible at this stage.
Hard to say which gives a bigger or more pleasant change to your ears. In both cases (NOS DAC and tube amp) you intentionally add distortion to the sound, it's quite unpredictable. But spending more money doesn't necessarily mean better end result, it's just as possible that the cheaper tube amp will add just the right kind and amount of distortion for your particular setup and ears.

Jan 12, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #10 of 28
Thanks for the insight! I really like my Zen Dac (V1) as well... I have the Mojo 2 in my main chain as I love the additional EQ options (which my source doesn't allow for) but the IFI house sound is really sweet to my ears. Have had my head turned by the various R2R reviews I have seen- but the change I experienced with the high-Z output of the A20 had a much more noticeable change on the sound.

Would love to hear the Woo Audio gear which I hear has great synergy with ZMFs - glad it is a great pair for you! Enjoy the music!

I've got the Mojo 2 as well, but I'm not a fan of using it as a DAC with my WA3 and Atrium. While the EQ function is neat, I notice some glare and treble spikes that aren't present with the iFi Zen DAC V2. The sound also feels thinner with the Mojo 2. Believe me, I've dropped a small fortune on kilobuck DACs, and not a single one has outshined my trusty old Zen DAC V2. Different, sure, but better? Not by a long shot for my taste! If you're looking for some advice, don't take everything you read on this forum as gospel. Your current setup is solid, but in my opinion, considering an amp like the Bottlehead Crack or maybe the DROP + XDUOO TA-84 OTL (when it's back in stock) could be a good move. Cheers!

Jan 12, 2024 at 9:22 PM Post #12 of 28
Jan 12, 2024 at 9:23 PM Post #13 of 28
I would suggest the cheaper OTL first.
Combining one of those with Mojo2/Zendac2, then dipping the toes into NOS tubes is going to keep you busy:wink:
Thanks kindly! Seems like there would be a lot of a rabbit hole to explore with tubes for sure!

Jan 12, 2024 at 9:30 PM Post #14 of 28
I've got the Mojo 2 as well, but I'm not a fan of using it as a DAC with my WA3 and Atrium. While the EQ function is neat, I notice some glare and treble spikes that aren't present with the iFi Zen DAC V2. The sound also feels thinner with the Mojo 2. Believe me, I've dropped a small fortune on kilobuck DACs, and not a single one has outshined my trusty old Zen DAC V2. Different, sure, but better? Not by a long shot for my taste! If you're looking for some advice, don't take everything you read on this forum as gospel. Your current setup is solid, but in my opinion, considering an amp like the Bottlehead Crack or maybe the DROP + XDUOO TA-84 OTL (when it's back in stock) could be a good move. Cheers!
I hear you about the "Glare" - I definitely experienced that when I first moved to it, but with time I find that it doesn't reveal itself/ affect me any longer (brain burn in as I accustomed to the sound I assume). The Mojo 2 is very useful in my main setup with its double outputs feeding my V202 and Beyerdynamic A20 simultaneously which helps with cable management etc.

But I definitely hear you about focusing on the OTL...sounds like the best next step, and thanks for sharing your experience - and reassuring me that my Dacs are likely more than sufficient for time to many.

Much appreciated and cheers!

Jan 12, 2024 at 11:12 PM Post #15 of 28
The XDuoo TA-26s to get an OTL, which is a technology I understand ZMFs shine with (there is also the option to get the Valhalla 2, but I am not sure that brings the richness and fuller tube effect with the ZMFs)
I'd opt for this option. I tried the Valhalla 2 with my Aeolus and it was the first revelation I had at how big a difference an OTL amp could make. But you're right, not very much classic "tubey" warmth. It's definitely a tube effect, but it's on the drier, more expansive side. The way that amp makes the bass come alive is especially delightful.

But also since Schiit is likely to release the Valhalla 3 in the near future, I would stay away for now. I haven't tried the TA-26, but if it's anything like the Darkvoice I used to own, you'll absolutely get that tube flavor you're looking for! You might find it's all you need on your tube journey. It'll bump those HD600's up to the next level as well :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back