'Chain link' cable braiding
Apr 20, 2006 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

VoidedWarranty

New Head-Fier
Had a quick search but nothing came up...

I'm looking for the instructions for 'chain link' braiding- like the following;
IMG_2351.jpg

Can anyone help?

Apr 20, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #4 of 13
I think so, I just ordered some more SPC from navships on eBay (great seller, gotta advertise), and I'll be redoing my PortaPro monsters using this technique with 4.

You can see that 3 wires are used in your picture from the Y split to the RCA plugs, so yah, your picture answers your question, he's using 6 wires to the Y.

Apr 20, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #7 of 13
cool. thats how i brad most of my "diy" headphone cables.

i prefer the circular feel to the flat "standard" litz...

i never thought to try it with 6 strands though. that should be interesting.

Apr 20, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #8 of 13
If you do it with 8 wires and in both ends divide in 2x 4 wires you can do an RCA-RCA interconnect with just one "main body" if you understand what I mean. Or you can use 8 wires for each channel but I doubt the difference would be audible though.

Manuel

ps: ok you folks finally convinced me. I will do the "Complete litz braiding tutorial" this weekend.

Apr 20, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #9 of 13
for guides on how to braid "many strands" i would recomend looking to various japanese braiding techniques.

the 4-strand technique i use is a japanese style. althought i have not yet made one, the 8-strand would also be a slightly diferent patern, but it should produce more favorable results.

Apr 21, 2006 at 2:43 PM Post #11 of 13
I did a 4 wire based RCA using that style going (i think this was how it went)
take the Left wire over 2 places
right over 2
left under 2
right under 2

takes a little bit to get in your head, as i mucked up a few times and started again
but it does leave a nice 3d round shape to the braid

Aug 30, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #12 of 13
with a 4 conductor chain braid, are you supposed to (when doing it in pairs like the guide fallen angel linked) match signal with ground for each of the 2 pairs so as to minimize interference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back