CES impact on our hobby?
Jan 5, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the problem is hard drive players seem to be a dying breed, as all the companies seem more geared towards small flash players, which isnt good for freaks like me who enjoy having all of their music with them at once.

Agreed, however, at the current rate, 20gb flash drives may be viable reality (i.e. cheap enough to mass produce and to buy) in 2 years

Jan 5, 2007 at 10:46 AM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why a H320 and not a X5?

Good morning.
wink.gif

I prefer the H320 because the X5 is very (!) expensiv at Germany (~260€ for the X5V) and the X5 has a bad line-out.
I'd get the H320 from a german shop - probably one of the last models out there.
But I've heard that many of these old H320 died very soon becauso of battery or hdd. So, don't really know, if I should wait for the Clix2/U20 and the risk that these devices only support MTP as well.
frown.gif

How long does it generally take from CES presentation till release?!

Best regards,
jpk

Jan 5, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #20 of 37
Don't be afraid of the battery life on a shelf sitting h320. It is a 1300 maH battery that will have chemically neared its lifespan without being used. Not a problem as that battery is the same as the 1st & 2nd gen. Ipod battery.

Time marches on and now this battery can be had with 2200maH v 1300. Nice improvement there. Maybe your shop in germany might make an allowance for needing to purchase a new battery if you demonstrate the concept. misticriver.net has forums with this info and more (rockbox!).

Caramelsoul, who posted above is on that forum and helpful and knowledgeable as well! Also, Febs, who is a developer for rockbox is on both forums. Great info on a great player.

http://www.misticriver.net/showthread.php?t=34257

This is the FAQ about battery swaps, detailing also the polarity change at the plug (cut and solder or unclip wires at the small plastic molex plug). Ebay is your friend for battery source!

Jan 5, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #21 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnniewalker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about having this built into your mp3 player...
http://www.sandisk.com/Oem/Default.aspx?CatID=1478

Now if I could get that as a base, plus sd card slot, flac, gapless, drag&drop, and 20+ hrs on a charge, no moving parts, i'd be in love. Dont need video, but a color screen would be nice. Add a line out/line in along with a phone out, and you might have a pod killer on your hands.

I'm doubling up, check out http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/29/b...-pro-2-series/.

Now that would be something.

Jan 5, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by evanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm doubling up, check out http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/29/b...-pro-2-series/.

Now that would be something.

Yep, hard drives are a dying breed. Hot Swappable Flash drives are the wave of the future.

Jan 6, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the problem is hard drive players seem to be a dying breed, as all the companies seem more geared towards small flash players, which isnt good for freaks like me who enjoy having all of their music with them at once.

I'm with you. Some folks describe a 5g iPod video like its the size of an Atari 2600.

Jan 6, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed, however, at the current rate, 20gb flash drives may be viable reality (i.e. cheap enough to mass produce and to buy) in 2 years

while that is undeniably a good thing...two years is a while to go without music
tongue.gif
to have to rely on outdated technology for HD players is a bit obnoxious, though rather cost efficient.

At the moment, in terms of hard drive players, I'm looking forward to the A3, and the rumored Creative X-fi DAP.

Jan 6, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by bugg100 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't be afraid of the battery life on a shelf sitting h320. It is a 1300 maH battery that will have chemically neared its lifespan without being used. Not a problem as that battery is the same as the 1st & 2nd gen. Ipod battery.

Time marches on and now this battery can be had with 2200maH v 1300. Nice improvement there. Maybe your shop in germany might make an allowance for needing to purchase a new battery if you demonstrate the concept. misticriver.net has forums with this info and more (rockbox!).

Caramelsoul, who posted above is on that forum and helpful and knowledgeable as well! Also, Febs, who is a developer for rockbox is on both forums. Great info on a great player.

http://www.misticriver.net/showthread.php?t=34257

This is the FAQ about battery swaps, detailing also the polarity change at the plug (cut and solder or unclip wires at the small plastic molex plug). Ebay is your friend for battery source!

Thanks a lot for your little advice and help, bug100!
I'll get the H320 und perhaps a new battery.
The V-Moda Vibes are waiting for a better source then my crappy notebook-soundchip.
wink.gif

Best regards,
jpk

Jan 6, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey there...
I'll buy a H320 next week, but don't really know, if it'd be useful to wait for the new iriver players?! I really love the design of the clix, but I have not bought it because of MTP and poor OGG-support - perheaps they'll fix that in the new version?!
Would you wait with buying the H320?

Best regards
jpk

What do you mean about poor OGG-support, all the current iriver's can play OGG
blink.gif

Jan 7, 2007 at 9:23 AM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you mean about poor OGG-support, all the current iriver's can play OGG
blink.gif

Good Morning from Germany.
smily_headphones1.gif

Have a look at misticriver.net there you can read that the clix doesn't support album-art with OGG. Furthermore you have to do some things till WMP will sync your OGGs.
Thats poor in my eyes...

Best regards,
jpk

Jan 7, 2007 at 11:35 AM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good Morning from Germany.
smily_headphones1.gif

Have a look at misticriver.net there you can read that the clix doesn't support album-art with OGG. Furthermore you have to do some things till WMP will sync your OGGs.
Thats poor in my eyes...

Best regards,
jpk

Ok, then i understand
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back