CES impact on our hobby?
Jan 4, 2007 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

brandonink2001

New Head-Fier
Any insiders or industry observers anticipate the upcoming CES dropping new toys into the fray for Head-Fiers?

I am particularly interested in what new portable audio products Apple might be planning to introduce? I am considering adding a 2G Nano to the current 30gig 5G, but thought I might want to wait until after January 11, when CES ends, roughly.

Happy New Year and thanks for any advice.

Jan 4, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #2 of 37
Apple will introduce their stuff at Macworld, not CES though they tend to be closely staged every year. Watch out for January 9th. So far there hasn't been as many crazy rumors as recent previous years, but Jobs keynote is usually scheduled for between 60-90 minutes. This time it's 120. Hope that's a good sign.

Jan 4, 2007 at 8:41 AM Post #3 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple will introduce their stuff at Macworld, not CES though they tend to be closely staged every year. Watch out for January 9th. So far there hasn't been as many crazy rumors as recent previous years, but Jobs keynote is usually scheduled for between 60-90 minutes. This time it's 120. Hope that's a good sign.

If nothing else his Keynote speeches are always entertaining.
icon10.gif

I really admire the man, he's got a lot of creativity and good ideas where Gates has determination.

Jan 4, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There's no iPod announcement expected, is there? Doesn't that usually happen in September?

Jan 4, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #9 of 37
Hey there...
I'll buy a H320 next week, but don't really know, if it'd be useful to wait for the new iriver players?! I really love the design of the clix, but I have not bought it because of MTP and poor OGG-support - perheaps they'll fix that in the new version?!
Would you wait with buying the H320?

Best regards
jpk

Jan 5, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #12 of 37
the problem is hard drive players seem to be a dying breed, as all the companies seem more geared towards small flash players, which isnt good for freaks like me who enjoy having all of their music with them at once.

Jan 5, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #13 of 37
It's kind of funny that CES this year seems to impact just about any other hobby that involves electronics of some sort; don't let that discourage us, we are simply in a minority consumer category. With that, here are a few areas impacted by CES, from the smartbriefs I've been receiving:

1. Development of the two HD Optical Media, HD-DVD and Blu-ray, and even a possible dual supporting media called Total HD.

2. WiFi in Cars gets better; Auto PCs get better and Sirius brings TV into the Car.

3. You'll have more opportunities to record, and DVRs will get connected to the Internet for remote control, access and streaming.

4. Biometrics for the Consumer will get closer to a reality, so a consumer Smart Card for access or use of a cell phone paired with Biometric Authentication will be exhibited.

5. The really large Plasmas will be in production and you'll get to see 1080p 24fps mature sources and displays at "reasonable" cost.

6. The PC and TV will move closer and you'll see demonstrations of new compression devices that will replace your set-top box and others that will show enhanced versions.

Probably the only reference to DAPs that I've seen was this:

Quote:

Mogopop enables iPod users to share content
Mogopop is a Web site that lets iPod users create, submit and share media specifically meant for iPods. The site allows iPod users some of the same sharing capabilities available to Zune users. Digital Trends Story Source

Jan 5, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the problem is hard drive players seem to be a dying breed, as all the companies seem more geared towards small flash players, which isnt good for freaks like me who enjoy having all of their music with them at once.

Same here.

Jan 5, 2007 at 8:32 AM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by caramelsoul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an H320 and really cant fault it at all. Theres also a battery mod to give you extra long battery life.

Haven't seen one in a shop for ages, I thought they'd stopped making them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back