CES 04 Pics-New Sennheiser 500 series
Jan 12, 2004 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

AC1

500+ Head-Fier
Just got back from the CES, here are some pics of the new Sennheiser 500 series line:

They have three new 500 series headphones, 595, 555, 515. DId not get a chance to listen to them since the convention center was too loud to hear them.

Here is the top model 595
320344013103_0_ALB.jpg

Other 500 series models
820344013103_0_ALB.jpg

(Sorry, my usual site is down... try the photo album link instead if the pics dont pop up)
http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePh...1&sort_order=0

Have other pics of the high end stuff, but tired right now so I'll show some of them later.

Jan 12, 2004 at 3:50 AM Post #7 of 25
Andy,

Thanks for being the "man on the ground" there at the CES. I looked for a headphone perspective of the show but since almost no one pays any attention to headphone related stuff, I haven't seem anything other than this.

Jan 12, 2004 at 4:54 AM Post #10 of 25
Here is another report : http://www.stereophile.com/

with this little bit of news :

Quote:

Mobile Fidelity has just announced a new "Ultradisc" CD-R that it will sell, a blank based on a premium 24 Karat gold 1x gold disc that they've had specially manufactured. The discs will come in MoFi's custom "lift-lock" CD cases and will retail for $99.98 for 50 or $29.98 for 10.

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Jan 12, 2004 at 4:59 AM Post #11 of 25
Given Sennheiser's track record with their very recent designs (such as the PX#00 series and the redesigned HD4## series), I can only hope that the redesigned HD5## series (the HD595, HD555 and HD515 will replace the HD590, HD570 and HD500 in the Sennheiser lineup) will sound better than the disappointing "bionetic" models that the new HD5## line will replace. The only thing that the new HD5## series will share with the older "bionetic" line is the detachable, replaceable single-sided cord that attaches to the left earpiece (judging by those pictures).

Thus, if the HD595 sounds as good as (or better than) the old HD580, then the HD580 will finally be dropped from Sennheiser's line.

Jan 12, 2004 at 6:05 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Here is another report : http://www.stereophile.com/

KR: i really hope they are not trying to remanufacture the original gold CD-R's from a couple years ago. cause i can buy them in builk about the same price as a normal CD-R. back in the days, there were 3 types of CD-R's: silver, blue, and gold. they all costed about the same, and they sure as heck don't cost $2 each!

and even if they are not the same discs, it really doesn't matter, cause i don't think most people would recognize the different colors of the two, if there is any. my gold CD-R's look pretty much like real gold.

Jan 12, 2004 at 6:27 AM Post #13 of 25
I just got back from CES. Wow it was hella fun. The place was HUGE and I looked everywhere from the Sennheiser booth, which I eventually found. Anyway, I got to hear the new 500 model line up and they do sound pretty good. Sound is comparable to the HD 580 and the HD 590 but like kinda a mixed bag. They don't sound like the 580's, 600's, or 650's and not like the 570, 590, etc. I also got to listen to the HD 650's for quite a long time (well there were people waiting behind me to listen so I just let them listen and then they usually only listen for like 5-10 secs and leave, giving me more time to hear them
biggrin.gif
) and I must say, they sound incredible! They sound better than the HD 600's and HD 580's by a mile (well maybe not that much). I will post a large thread with TONS of pics I took at CES (about 200-250 pics) very soon. (hint: I need webpace to host the pics. gimme a good place with good bandwidth and i will post them sooner)

PS: I will post my CES pictures with a bunch of pictures of the Sennheiser booth as soon as I get an app that will let me to resize my pics quickly

Jan 12, 2004 at 6:27 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Orpheus
KR: i really hope they are not trying to remanufacture the original gold CD-R's from a couple years ago. cause i can buy them in builk about the same price as a normal CD-R. back in the days, there were 3 types of CD-R's: silver, blue, and gold. they all costed about the same, and they sure as heck don't cost $2 each!

and even if they are not the same discs, it really doesn't matter, cause i don't think most people would recognize the different colors of the two, if there is any. my gold CD-R's look pretty much like real gold.

I am pretty sure that these new ones are real 24-Karat Gold CDS.

Jan 12, 2004 at 6:33 AM Post #15 of 25
well, yes, i'm sure they are too. i mean, no one would lie. BUT... the ones i can get for $0.20 each are probably 24k gold too. i mean, it's not a dye.

maybe i can buy one and compare. i'm pretty sure they're the same thing. it wouldn't be the first time an audiophile company took something cheap and called it their own and in the process raising the price ten-fold...... although, ...those mo-fi jewel cases aren't cheap. so..... it isn't too terrible of a deal, even i'm i'm right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back