Centrance upcoming product for Iphone 5 above and Ipod Touch 5 : Hi Fi SKYN
Feb 3, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #331 of 1,140
I don't know if this has already been addressed (excuse me if it has), but I have two questions:

1. Can the Skyn be used as an external DAC using the laptop as an input, if so, how?

2. With the Skyn attached to the iPhone, can we still use the iPhone for its day-to-day functionalities (ie: send/recieve calls and texts, view YouTube videos with sound coming from the iPhone speaker (in other words, bypass Skyn), browse the Internet using Safari and have sound coming from the iPhone speaker, etc)?

Thanks

Feb 3, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #333 of 1,140
Hi there,
Sorry I wasn't referring to the Skyn charging the phone and playing music, I was referring to the skin being charged via usb while functioning as a dac for the iPhone.

Ah, sorry misunderstood.

Cheers,
K

Feb 4, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #336 of 1,140

@markodarko I think you'll still have to shell out more (around $79 is the number that is being thrown around a lot) to get the Super Amp perk (Michael is yet to confirm). Haven't you noticed the impassioned exchanges? 
tongue.gif

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #337 of 1,140
@markodarkoHaven't you noticed the impassioned exchanges? :p

I maaaay have noticed a little. :wink: As for shelling out extra, well then what was the point of the stretch goal(?) - other than for Michael to sell more units, it seems, sadly. The terms of the stretch goal were quite clear. If they reached $65k then ALL units would have the classic amp replaced with the super amp. Period. If he intended for there to be an additional charge for the super amp then he could have done that from the outset with either a different backing option or at a later date with an additional add-on.

If you apply what's happened with the stretch goal to the original campaign then using the logic of "if we reach X we'll give you Y but really we'll sneakily charge you extra" (which is what happened with the stretch goal) then what's to stop Michael saying "ok, the $12k has been reached so now you can all receive a standard Skyn - if you pay $X on top of your contribution"?

Nothing, it seems. It seems that some people are happy to bow to Michael's every whim, saying things like "don't worry Mike, we know you're not running a non-profit business, so here, have more cash", which is quite frankly bonkers. Either they have no concept of how kickstart campaigns (or promises) work or they're just that amiable that they're happy to accept Y when they were promised X. I don't know, I can't speak for them, but I can speak for myself and speak up against what Michael is apparently trying to do - which is essentially false advertising / stealing (depending on how you look at it).

Anyway, I've made my point numerous times now so I'll shut up about it for today as clearly I'm in a minority on this forum with doing the right thing.

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #338 of 1,140
I maaaay have noticed a little. :wink: As for shelling out extra, well then what was the point of the stretch goal(?) - other than for Michael to sell more units, it seems, sadly. The terms of the stretch goal were quite clear. If they reached $65k then ALL units would have the classic amp replaced with the super amp. Period. If he intended for there to be an additional charge for the super amp then he could have done that from the outset with either a different backing option or at a later date with an additional add-on.

If you apply what's happened with the stretch goal to the original campaign then using the logic of "if we reach X we'll give you Y but really we'll sneakily charge you extra" (which is what happened with the stretch goal) then what's to stop Michael saying "ok, the $12k has been reached so now you can all receive a standard Skyn - if you pay $X on top of your contribution"?

Nothing, it seems. It seems that some people are happy to bow to Michael's every whim, saying things like "don't worry Mike, we know you're not running a non-profit business, so here, have more cash", which is quite frankly bonkers. Either they have no concept of how kickstart campaigns (or promises) work or they're just that amiable that they're happy to accept Y when they were promised X. I don't know, I can't speak for them, but I can speak for myself and speak up against what Michael is apparently trying to do - which is essentially false advertising / stealing (depending on how you look at it).

Anyway, I've made my point numerous times now so I'll shut up about it for today as clearly I'm in a minority on this forum with doing the right thing.

Yep, it's there in black and white:

Update: Super Amp Stretch Goal

You requested a really powerful amp, the "Super Amp". We listened and have added this as a stretch goal for the $65k funding mark.

20150107000452-Stretch-goal-65000.jpg

[size=inherit]The "Super Amp" will have the performance of our award-winning HiFi-M8,  [/size][size=inherit]"The Best DAC/Amp ever tested"[/size][size=inherit], according to CNET[/size][size=inherit].[/size][size=inherit] [/size]

If we reach the stretch goal, the "Classic Amp", which is already designed into the HiFi-Skÿn will be replaced with the Super Amp. If you are into specs, here is a handy table comparing both the old and new amps to the iPhone itself:

20150107000826-Comparison-table.jpg

[size=inherit]The Super amp has less distortion and more output power, perfect for driving audiophile headphones on the go![/size]

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #339 of 1,140

While I totally understand @markodarko and @thx1000 you also have to understand the market realities. Sometimes great plans don't work out.

Michael did the research and design. He cannot do the uncompromised super amp without loosing money if he gives it to us for no extra fee. So he could just do an amp that is not so super but still more powerful than the classic one. Would that make you happy? Or are you after best possible sound quality?

I think it boils down to that choice. The not-so-super super amp with no extra cost or the real-deal-super super amp for $79 extra as an option. Compromise quality to reach a sensible BOM goal or ask for extra cash to create an uncompromised super amp... 

So it is what it is. I think the best would be to vote. My vote would go to the best possible amp and I would cough up the unexpected additional $79 for it. Or maybe just stay with the classic since I would probably only run IEMs with the Skÿn anyway....

Cheers,
K

EDIT: Indiegogo has different rules that kickstarter. And nobody steals from you, you are getting what you paid for a Skyn for your phone. The stretch goal is not legally binding, as far as I could make out. 

Feb 4, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #340 of 1,140
I design things, I break things, I learn how to design things to avoid parts failure. I have addressed design issues in snowboards and skateboards both the highest performing models costing 3 times more than an average top of the line consumer model.

I have taken excellent performing designs with durability issues and made changes to the design to save them from breaking. I have helped design the worlds best performing racing skateboard trucks and not had a single parts failure, and designed some of the best skateboard wheels where deformation is part of their performance envelope. I understand ,innately, flexing patterns of gear and points of fracture and so forth. I have looked at designs and immediately pointed out points of failure and accurately guessed warranty return percentages in the action sports industry.

So I would like. ...To contribute a little of my expertise here.

206 mm long is quite a lever arm for a phone with an demonstrated vulnerability for bending (IPhone 6 +)

Mind you the case and battery will add some stiffness, but we have to proacrively thinking about the practical usage of a commuters device and sports enthusiast device. In what amounts to be a different form factor and likely a broader end user.

I wonder what the ratio of males to females are buying this device. Because this will tell us somewhat where the device will "live" during usage. I'll take a wild guess that 80%+ of the end users of this device will be male. Females with pocket books are at an advantage .

I currently own an iPhone 6+, and found that it takes up a good amount of pocket real estate, to reduce the need for carrying an additional wallet all the time I opted for a case that allows me to store a few credit cards in it by Spigen. It adds about 1/4 of an inch in length and some additional thickness.

I do notice the extra bulk. And at one point had a wallet case which though easier to grip I deemed too bulky for what it carried.

Ok, so let's pick an average male 5'8" to 5'10" about 170 lbs. size 31 inseam length wearing Gap khakis or corduroys ( we I'll assume you skimp on wardrobe fashion to fuel your high end habit- just a wild guess from seeing how the people are attired at head-if meets).

In my pocket the iPhone 6 plus in its case is just barely covered by my front pants pocket (rear pockets are not advisable for iPhone 6 plus.) forget about a shirt front pocket at 206 mm more than 1/2 the length would be above the pocket ( currently my iPhone 6 plus is about 4/7 inside the front pocket and is already a dicey place to put it.

So add the extension caused by the proposed form factor for the iPhone 6 plus almost the entire amp/DAC section will stick out of the pocket and when I bend from sitting likely the device will jam into my hip/pelvic bone.

The headphone jack will be bent too...possibly sheering off from repeated accidental and forgetful jamming.

At 206 mm that will be as long or longer than some peoples shoulder to elbow length so forget about an arm band use.

The leverage at the point of iPhone to DAC/amp connection might be enough to deform or break the device ( assuming thre is no full length battery offering some additional structural support. Poly carbonate is quite strong.)

A magnesium frame would be a better idea for this length . But would add to cost. And still the form factor would be awkward.

You can not add much width to the iPhone 6 plus or you can not grasp it and as a two handed hold, making changes to switches could be a bit ,clumsy unless it was held get in your pocket, and width is limited in pockets too.

The "worst case scenario"( pun fully intended) is a case that is only comfortable for use with a Jacket pocket and needs you to swap to a different case every day at work. Then everytime you left the office for an errand on foot you would have to Switch the case back to the skyn , so while I see the iPhone 5 form factor as working , the iPhone 6 plus form factor should not increase the length or width of the phone .

Adding thickness instead of length would reduce the chances for " bend gate" of bending your already easy to bend iphone 6 plus.

Wanna really be smart? Create a recess in the thicker phone case so that your headphone plug is underneath and recessed in the case rear or even at an edge order so we could not have so many bent mini plug jacks and it would prevent Latrell stress on the female jack as well. Now the entire STIFF UNBENDING SECTION of a iPhone 6 plus with the headphone jack would be shortr than even an iPhone 6 with a regular headphone plugged into it.

You'll have to look at some of the high end mini plugs as we wouldn't want a dongle to degrade sound. I would accept that I woud have to redo my APS V3 plug in my headphes but woud gladly do so for a shorter device with a protected plug bay.

Cheers Michael - if you use this idea toss me a freebie for testing and abusing.

Feb 4, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #342 of 1,140
Thanks for everyone's input. I have two thoughts.

1) We can keep the super amp as originally advertised and meet the passionate request for sticking to the original promise. The requestor may or may not like the sound of the super amp. We won't be able to make that our best effort, because we have already moved on and improved upon that, but since we will retain the name "super amp", legally and ethically the request will be satisfied and the requestor will get what s/he wants.

Meantime, I have been really encouraged by all the positive feedback here and decided to improve things further. I locked myself in the lab for the last week and was able to improve the performance of the super amp further, by adding additional power supply cleanup circuitry. Packing that in was a real lady dog... So now we have a super amp with a rock-solid power supply. The latter can be the actual offer for the much discussed $79 perk. Alternatively, we can move on to "Supreme Amp" and make that the subject of the $79 perk.

2) We will be happy to refund anyone not satisfied with the continued R&D and resulting improvements, which we offer to the community. As a matter of fact, we are about to roll out a number of juicy new features. In the result the final product offering will be technically different than the initial concept. We believe that crowdsourcing is exactly to thank for that. People suggest things, we respond. So... If you don't like change and continuous improvement, please contact us for a refund because we are about to blow your mind with what's coming next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back