CEntrance HiFi-M8 with Michael Goodman - Head-Fi TV - CanJam @ RMAF (2012)
Nov 18, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #16 of 59
Quote:
Unfortunately this episode is way out of date. There have been a ton of new feature options and changes.

If it sounds good this will be one of the most versatile and awesome devices out there. Knowing Centrance...it probably will.

SO glad you think so!! That was our aim (when we started talking about the HiFi-M8 before it even had a name)!  We wanted to be the first to offer a battery-powered iDevice & computer DAC (all were one or the other at the time)!!  Feature set was a serious consideration, but what I love most about Michael Goodman's designs (I still rock my DACmini CX and PX as part of my Audiophile Desktop System w/ PRIDE!!) is that he goes after musicality and performance FIRST.  Everything else follows, and he follows that up well at all times.  The DACport was my portable reference DAC/head-amp for a couple years!  I still keep it on-hand in the office for reference against nu stuff.

Like I said above - I'm waiting for a HiFi-M8 like a junkie waiting for his daily dose in the vein!!!!

the CEntrance ADS (Audiophile Desktop System) is the BEST portable desktop solution out there (desktop speaker & great h-phone amp solution), IMO!!
W/ the custom Pelican case - it allows me to get my writing and consulting work done where-ever I go (pictured here at a B&B 
in Northern Cali)!!!!

Nov 18, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #18 of 59
Big thanks to Jude for posting (and filming), to Michael Mercer for the contagious excitement, and to the head-fi community for the invaluable feedback. We are working through the holidays to put the finishing touches on this truly crowd-sourced product.  More info in the development blog, which has been and will continue to be updated daily, until product ships:

http://centrance.com/products/new/blog

Here is more on the product itself:

http://centrance.com/products/hifi-m8/

Michael

Nov 20, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #21 of 59
Michael -

Two questions:

Will this actually work with the latest iPad? All manufacturer's appear to claim their amp/dac's work with the dock connector on the iPad but they do not unless using a generic codec. (The Predator by Ray Samuels is a perfect example of not working with iPad.)

Also, when may I order one and from whom? (Todd the Vinyl Junkie advertises it on their website, but I'm sure they don't have it.)

Would like to add Hifi-M8 and the new Woo Audio portable to my collection.

Nov 21, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #23 of 59
Looking back to the earlier centrance's product such as the Dacport/LX and the Dacmini (the sound & the build quality), this HiFi-M8 is going to be phenomenal product. Can't wait for the HiFi-M8 to come out, definitly i'm going to purchase it no matter what the final design is going to be like
redface.gif

beerchug.gif
 to Mr.Michael

Nov 21, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #24 of 59
Definitely interested in this! I have only recently come to realise how much I love my DACmini (as suggested by someone prominent here on head-fi) and can't wait to hear more on this new product!

Nov 21, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #25 of 59
Quote:
Hey Michael, would we be able to buy one of those shirts? ^_^

We can make this happen. Send me a message if you are interested.
Quote:
Michael -

Two questions:

Will this actually work with the latest iPad? All manufacturer's appear to claim their amp/dac's work with the dock connector on the iPad but they do not unless using a generic codec. (The Predator by Ray Samuels is a perfect example of not working with iPad.)

Also, when may I order one and from whom? (Todd the Vinyl Junkie advertises it on their website, but I'm sure they don't have it.)

Would like to add Hifi-M8 and the new Woo Audio portable to my collection.

We have not tested it yet, but HiFi-M8 is supposed to work with all iProducts, including the newest iPhone/iPad.

M8 is not shipping for several weeks still. Send an e-mail to HiFi-M8@centrance.com for more information.

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #26 of 59
Quick question about impedance selection. Why 1/2/10 as opposed to 1/10/120 for example? Since this is designed to drive tougher phones, wouldn't having a 120ohm option for IEC spec make sense for some of the top end German phones?

Also, is this the same potentiometer found in the DACport?

Nov 22, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #27 of 59
Quick question about impedance selection. Why 1/2/10 as opposed to 1/10/120 for example? Since this is designed to drive tougher phones, wouldn't having a 120ohm option for IEC spec make sense for some of the top end German phones?
?
LOL...wut?

Do you have some special 960ohm German headphones you really have to use on the go?

1/2/10 is just right.....and sensible for a portable/transportable device.

0.5/2/10 would be extra awesome though :)

Nov 24, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #28 of 59
LOL...wut?

No...no LOL, ROFL, or LMAO. 120 ohms is actually a 16 year old industry standard, unlike a 960 ohm fabrication. 300-600 ohm German phones w/ specific impedance curves are also quite real as well.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/headphone-systems/162962-maximum-allowable-headphone-amp-output-impedance-2.html#post2502688

Users who are viewing this thread

Back