CEntrance HiFi-M8 with Michael Goodman - Head-Fi TV - CanJam @ RMAF (2012)
Jan 15, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #46 of 59
The M8 seems like an amazing amp with great specs and features.  Unfortunately, for my needs, it is too big to be truly portable.  I hope in the future, Centrance can offer a "mini" version with scaled back features and about half the size.  However, if I was deciding between the Fostex HP-P1 and the M8, I would absolutely choose the M8 based on features, particularly adjustable bass and treble.

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #48 of 59
I would say the size of the m8 won't be an issue for me. A high sound quality transportable amp/dac combo is what I'm looking for, it don't has to be tiny as most of us will use it to drive full-size cans, so it can't be portable anyway. As long as it won't compromise SQ, I don't mind centrance make the m8 even larger.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #49 of 59
Hello, Michael ...

Are you still sending out the t-shirts to those of us who ordered and paid early? Not that big a deal whether or not I am sent one, but saw you were on line and decided to ask rather than bother Ms. Roma in an e-mail.

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #50 of 59
В
Hello, Michael ...

Are you still sending out the t-shirts to those of us who ordered and paid early? Not that big a deal whether or not I am sent one, but saw you were on line and decided to ask rather than bother Ms. Roma in an e-mail.

Our apologies for slower fulfillment of t-shirts. We are working on making a new batch. Stacie will be in touch with you next week with the ETA.

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #51 of 59
Nice video review.

Jan 27, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #52 of 59
If ANYBODY wants to see Michael's journey while embarkin' on finiahing the HiFi-M8 - check out THE HIFI-M8 BLOG. (MOST of U know this already)

VERY highly aticipated by me!!!!

I'm lookin forward to having a battery-powered headphone amp/DAC for my MacBook Pro SSD Retina, iPad, iPod Classic, and iPhone 4S!!!!!
The size is NOT an issue for me!!

I know you WILL DO THIS Michael, 
and do it WELL.

Yours in Sounds,

Michael

Esther Lamm, LAMM Industries
(Used with her Permission)

My friend Esther Lamm (yes daughter of the good doctor behind
LAMM Industries - that make some of the most exsquisite tube
amplifiers in the world IMO) styling w/ my Audeze LCD3's.

**Making connecting to the younger generation who will be taking OVER 
the High End stereo industry IS important for us!! You guys can give them 
feedback as well.  Believe it or not - they will listen.  Just be humble and cool
about it**

Feb 1, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #55 of 59
Quote:

Esther Lamm, LAMM Industries
(Used with her Permission)

My friend Esther Lamm (yes daughter of the good doctor behind
LAMM Industries - that make some of the most exsquisite tube
amplifiers in the world IMO) styling w/ my Audeze LCD3's.

Too often around here headphones are seen as being worn by men... How unfair...
Thanks for supporting fairness and balance with pretty pictures...  :)

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #56 of 59
The m8 size is not too big imo, especially if it can compare to, or even outperform the ALO Pan Am. I see that as a potential competitor at the size, at least for me.

For me, my attraction to portable audio has 0 to do with analysis. If I want to critically evaluate music, I will sit down at my desktop monitors. Rather, for me, portable audio is about fun. Warm bassy goodness with ample thump in the low registers is what matters to me. If the Hifi-M8 can do that, and do that on par or better than the Pan Am, or Mk3, or RSA Intruder, then I will have found the one amp to rule then all and in the darkness bind them, or however Gandolf said it...:cool:
Though, if the Hifi-M8 is more of a transparent device, that may be ideal for others, just not what I would want from an amp I would use on the move, sourced from my iPhone.

Feb 8, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #57 of 59
Quote:
The m8 size is not too big imo, especially if it can compare to, or even outperform the ALO Pan Am. I see that as a potential competitor at the size, at least for me.

For me, my attraction to portable audio has 0 to do with analysis. If I want to critically evaluate music, I will sit down at my desktop monitors. Rather, for me, portable audio is about fun. Warm bassy goodness with ample thump in the low registers is what matters to me. If the Hifi-M8 can do that, and do that on par or better than the Pan Am, or Mk3, or RSA Intruder, then I will have found the one amp to rule then all and in the darkness bind them, or however Gandolf said it...
cool.gif

Though, if the Hifi-M8 is more of a transparent device, that may be ideal for others, just not what I would want from an amp I would use on the move, sourced from my iPhone.

There is much debate regarding what constitutes a portable amp and I can certainly understand how the M8 qualifies as a portable amp.  In fact, the features and specs packed into the unit are impressive.  However, for my usage and lifestyle, the portability question that is the determining factor is this:  Will my player and portable amp fit in my pocket?

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #58 of 59
Quote:
There is much debate regarding what constitutes a portable amp and I can certainly understand how the M8 qualifies as a portable amp.  In fact, the features and specs packed into the unit are impressive.  However, for my usage and lifestyle, the portability question that is the determining factor is this:  Will my player and portable amp fit in my pocket?

For me, all my pants have front pockets that are big enough to fit my iphone. The m8+iphone adds a bit of bulge to the pocket, but certainly fits. People that wear tight fitting jeans may not have that luxury though. The bundle fits well in a hoodie or jacket pocket also.

Feb 21, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #59 of 59
The Hifi-M8 is definitely a portable device, just not "pocket-sized".  I think there's a small distinction there.

When I personally say "portable" I don't mean "pocket-sized" which this clearly is not.  However, the device (and I CAN'T WAIT guys!!) maybe just a bit bigger than, say, my ALO International head-amp/DAC, but it's the same size, w/ iDevice, as my ALO RxMK3-B, which I've taken everywhere from Hawaii to Denver to Chicago and New York!  While it may not be the size of your smartphone - it's still totally portable.

Like the rig I just took to the LAOC Audio Society event last Sunday:

Astell&Kern AK100 player
ALO International head-amp
Audeze LCD3's (w/ ALO Green Line cables)

That may not sound too portable, but imagine the reactions from old school audiophiles when I showed up with it!  One of them is pictured below (my buddy Russ, who's a live sound engineer and audiophile - and was BLOWN AWAY at the resolving capabilities and "goose-bump factor" of the system).  Many of us have such small devices we might look at the HiFi-M8 as a large item.  As somebody who's been reporting on high end audio for 20 years (man that makes me sound old, when I'm only 38) I can say all these items are portable next to some of the larger components!  It's refreshing to have such amazing sound on-the-go now.  

I don't feel like I'm missing anything w/ my portable rig,
and I've been using the E.A.R HP4 tube headphone amp + SimAudio Moon DAC100 as my reference at home lately!  WHOAH.  Review on that to come ASAP.

In the meantime - I'm just excited to see you guys push the envelope of whats possible in portable today!  I know Michael and his team will hit it out of the park on this one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back