Centrance Hifi-M8 vs Arcam rPac & Fiio E12 (Cellphone usage question)
Jan 29, 2014 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Duncan

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi All,

Preparing to lay down some cash on the Centrance Hifi-M8, but just wondering if anyone can give me an insight as to how much better the M8 will sound to my two box solution for connecting to my cellphones (obvious advantage of the M8 is MFI connectivity with iPhone 5S)...

Currently using the rPac with an USB OTG cable with power socket (powered by Anker 10,000mah battery to boost the [audio] power)...

Quite excited by the hopeful step-up in SQ but just looking for some reassurance that I won't be disappointed...

Oh, running this with Senn IE800s...

Thanks for any feedback :)

Jan 30, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #2 of 3
Well,

I guess my question was probably a little bespoke - so, placed the order on the HiFi M8 - should be with me tomorrow...

Must admit to being quite excited :)

Feb 1, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #3 of 3
I have compared the M8 with an iPod Video 5th gen connected to a FiiO E12 on an IEM (VSonic GR-07 BE with Comply tips) and some hard to drive open headphones (Audeze LCD-2 and Senn HD580 both driven unbalanced).  The thing I notice most of all is the clarity in treble of the M8 over the iPod/E12 stack.  The iPod sounds quite good but cannot match the DAC of the CEntrance for the quality of the high end of the spectrum.   The M8 sounds more focused and grain-free. 

You'll like the bass and treble switches too -- very useful for simple tuneups of any particular headphone.  And in your case, the whole package is smaller.  For me, I still find the iPod/E12 more easily pocketable while walking around, but I've been putting the iPod Touch/M8 bundle in my travel bag as of late to use at work.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back