CEntrance DACport HD
Mar 30, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #182 of 277
  Anyone tried dacport hd with fostex x massdrop th-x00 headphones? Can you post dope comments on synergy?

I saw your post in the other thread. Unfortunately I don't remember it 
blink.gif

And definitely TH-X00 on m9XX was just incredible - really good pairing there 
biggrin.gif

However, I'm attending a mini-meet this upcoming weekend. I'll be sure to bring my DACport and listen to the TH-X00 there.

Mar 30, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #183 of 277
I saw your post in the other thread. Unfortunately I don't remember it :blink:
And definitely TH-X00 on m9XX was just incredible - really good pairing there :D

However, I'm attending a mini-meet this upcoming weekend. I'll be sure to bring my DACport and listen to the TH-X00 there.

Thanks a lot, can't wait for your comments =)

Mar 30, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #184 of 277
  The USB 3 Camera Adapter is a recent, pleasant find for me too! I heard sonic anomalies when plugged directly into my computer, so I was using a REGEN - also a bit cumbersome. The DAC and AMP are good, but they really benefit from a clean source. And I too am finding the new adapter from Apple to be plenty clean to my ears!

I was a little bummed regarding the line-level output. It seems that the lower power DACport Slim measures correctly, per the instructions of how to obtain line-level. I tried following the instructions on both low and high level on the DACport HD, and could not get a line-level output. In their Skÿn project, which I believe uses the same AMP technology as the DACport HD, there is a high, low, and medium level of output. It is the medium level that is used for line-level output.

Sorry - not posting a solution. I'm just agreeing with you with regards to line-level 
frown.gif

Well, at least knowing I'm not crazy here helps out a lot. I'm a bit disappointed as having that line level flexibility was part of why I bought it. Admittedly, got it for $130 used, and I bet I could offload it for minimal loss, but still not bad. I'm just impatient for the Dragonfly Red, really.

And while I need to test at home in a quiet environment, I notice constant noise in my Etymotic ER4PT from my laptop, and I don't think I heard it when I go through a USB battery and the new camera adapter but I was at a busy Starbucks at the time so it might not have been heard anyway. 

Apr 2, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #185 of 277
Thanks a lot, can't wait for your comments =)

Good mini-meet was had - plenty of time to get around to all the things we each wanted to hear.

TH-X00 were simply sitting waiting for me to have a listen. In short, I am looking forward to the return of TH-X00 in the form of the new Purpleheart. The TH-X00 at the meet sounded quite good on the DACport HD. I would almost say they sounded better than on the HiFi-Skyn, but that's probably just form factor - more to do with the easy to control volume on the DACport and the digital volume control on the Skyn.

Apr 2, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #187 of 277
  I can`t get it to work with OTG. I have tried with two phones and two cables. I only hear a clicking noise.

Anyone?

Needs sufficient power. At the event today, it would still not function without power from USB power brick into lightning to USB cable.

If you're running Android, you may also need to use third party software, like UAPP.

When I asked the folks at CEntrance, many moths ago, they said it should work. But they also said it would likely require a powered USB hub. So you might try a USB hub first, if you're unsure that the basic connection and phone software is correctly setup.

Apr 2, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #188 of 277

I can`t get it to work with OTG. I have tried with two phones and two cables. I only hear a clicking noise.

Anyone?

Needs sufficient power. At the event today, it would still not function without power from USB power brick into lightning to USB cable.

If you're running Android, you may also need to use third party software, like UAPP.

When I asked the folks at CEntrance, many moths ago, they said it should work. But they also said it would likely require a powered USB hub. So you might try a USB hub first, if you're unsure that the basic connection and phone software is correctly setup.

Thanks sheldaze. Yes, i`m running Android. One of my OTG cables has a connection for external power. I`ll see if i can find a cable to connect it with a power brick or a power bank.

Edit update: Tried to connect the external power lead to a 5V 1.5A charger, and still no go. 

OTG works great with my Pro-Ject Headbox S USB, so i wonder what i am doing wrong???

Jul 10, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #189 of 277
I was away from the home music server I use for my flac files with my Centrance DACportHD.

I decided to stream some music from the Amazon Music app I have on my Windows 10 Laptop, and found the music tries to start playing, but immediately stops.

Amazon Music streaming works fine w/HPs plugged into HP out Laptop jack, or using another USB DAC/Amp I have (Roland Mobile UA).

Did try playing the audio from some other sources like YouTube and DACport streaming works fine.

Any ideas on how to make the DACportHD work with Amazon Music?

I am using the Latest driver BETA , Rev. 7.9.6 Posted: 2016-Apr-07 for Windows 10 from the Centronics site, installed using the suggested Centronics procedure.

Jul 13, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #190 of 277
I was away from the home music server I use for my flac files with my Centrance DACportHD.

I decided to stream some music from the Amazon Music app I have on my Windows 10 Laptop, and found the music tries to start playing, but immediately stops.

Amazon Music streaming works fine w/HPs plugged into HP out Laptop jack, or using another USB DAC/Amp I have (Roland Mobile UA).

Did try playing the audio from some other sources like YouTube and DACport streaming works fine.

Any ideas on how to make the DACportHD work with Amazon Music?

I am using the Latest driver BETA , Rev. 7.9.6 Posted: 2016-Apr-07 for Windows 10 from the Centronics site, installed using the suggested Centronics procedure.

I'm using a Dacport HD (Driver 7.9.6) with Amazon Music without problems.  Windows 10 Pro.  It works fine on foobar too.

The beta has specific uninstall / install instructions.  Basically, you have to uninstall the driver from the Windows Device Manager.  Give it a try.

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #191 of 277
Thanks I must have incorrectly installed the new driver.

Did another uninstall and new install according to the Centrance instructions.

Interestingly when it finished this time the README said it was VERSION 8.0 2016-04-12  ...  but the ABOUT on the icon shows Driver: version 7.9.6 (04/12/2016)

The good news is that all my audio sources are now working properly :)

I have several Big Box Classical pieces on Amazon Music that sound amazingly well using the DACport HD ... I will still stick with my HiRes Flac collection for serious listening

Jul 13, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #192 of 277
Glad you go it to work!  The Dacport HD is a little gem, for sure.

Sep 11, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #194 of 277
I can't speak to that pairing, but I really like this thing. I've never had a problem with it and finally tried some DSD recordings with it, and they sound great - a combination of supreme resolution, fullness of sound and a lack of any harshness. It may be due to the way things were recorded, so I don't actually know where to attribute what I'm hearing.

Sep 11, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #195 of 277
  Hey Sheldaze, any long-term testing notes on the pairing of the dacport HD and the AKG K7XX? I just picked up these cans and would like to get a portable DAC for my Microsoft Surface 3.

Thanks!

I also cannot speak to the pairing - my favorite of the AKG headphones was the one I still own, the K702. I could certainly give it a spin on my DACportable, which is basically just the HD with a battery and bass/treble controls. The battery frees you to use any source of your choosing, such as a smart phone, which might not provide enough power into the DACport HD.

In generally, the CEntrance products are balanced! I don't mean XLR and such - just balanced sound. They produce plenty of bass, but without any loss of high frequency details. They are a hair warmer than GeekOut, but that product did not do well for me. It seemed to be trying too hard to replace a true desktop system, but did not have the easy power characteristics of a true desktop system. The CEntrance products, and the HRT microStreamer, to me sounded more balanced - never trying to replace a desktop system, and producing a more balanced, listanble sound at the limits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back