CEntrance DACport HD
Oct 4, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #151 of 277
I was finally able to spend a bit more time with DACport HD and various set-ups.  First of all, there is a marked improvement in quality of amplification when the device is connected via Schiit Wyrd - but that only means that my source's USB power isn't up to snuff, so individual results may vary.  Low frequencies become more articulated, and highs are a little more balanced.  With that said, it is still no match for a full-size dedicated amp - but for a lighter-sized device, it is quite an achievement.  Not sure if there will be much improvement between the amp in FiiO E12 and a properly powered DACportHD - and their specs are quite comparable - but E12 is much better suited for on-the-go use due to built-in battery.

Brightness appears to start with a more detailed DAC presentation of AK4490, and gets exacerbated by difficult to drive headphones which have tendencies for sibilance.  At the same time, better power source helps - so Wyrd helped reign in high frequency spikes of Beyerdynamic T1, which at 600ohm had no trouble whatsoever being driven by the  DACport HD.  About half of the volume on max gain was sufficient - so there is quite a bit of power reserve in this little unit.  Beyerdynamic T5p also faired better when connected to a Wyrd-DACportHD chain - except for these it was mostly improvements in the low frequency region, where T5p lacks significantly under weak amplification.

So far, my main concern is the line-out use case, with the device's output level significantly below standard 2V peak.

It is definitely a great starter device, easily displacing Dragonfly on my list of recommendations for someone who just enters high-end audio world, and is looking for DSD / DXD capable unit.

Oct 6, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #152 of 277
  I was finally able to spend a bit more time with DACport HD and various set-ups.  First of all, there is a marked improvement in quality of amplification when the device is connected via Schiit Wyrd - but that only means that my source's USB power isn't up to snuff, so individual results may vary.  Low frequencies become more articulated, and highs are a little more balanced.  With that said, it is still no match for a full-size dedicated amp - but for a lighter-sized device, it is quite an achievement.  Not sure if there will be much improvement between the amp in FiiO E12 and a properly powered DACportHD - and their specs are quite comparable - but E12 is much better suited for on-the-go use due to built-in battery.

Brightness appears to start with a more detailed DAC presentation of AK4490, and gets exacerbated by difficult to drive headphones which have tendencies for sibilance.  At the same time, better power source helps - so Wyrd helped reign in high frequency spikes of Beyerdynamic T1, which at 600ohm had no trouble whatsoever being driven by the  DACport HD.  About half of the volume on max gain was sufficient - so there is quite a bit of power reserve in this little unit.  Beyerdynamic T5p also faired better when connected to a Wyrd-DACportHD chain - except for these it was mostly improvements in the low frequency region, where T5p lacks significantly under weak amplification.

So far, my main concern is the line-out use case, with the device's output level significantly below standard 2V peak.

It is definitely a great starter device, easily displacing Dragonfly on my list of recommendations for someone who just enters high-end audio world, and is looking for DSD / DXD capable unit.

Yes,the spec of E12 indiacte that Dacport HD can be comparable to it,so it'll be interesting to do direct compare.
And...I dont have E12 by my side,but can borrow one from my friend :p Cant wait to do some direct comparation.

Actually I use my Dacport HD through usb hubs,but I just read manual of Dacport HD,and it says that Centrance doesnt recommend use HD on usb hubs...Ooooooops,my bad.

I use it on my notebook's usb port, no problem so far.
And I can use Dacport HD with my Xperia Z by On-The-Go function!
Consider the price,I highly recommend Dacport HD.  

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #154 of 277
Today I do some comparison between Dacport HD and HIFI-M8(sorry not with Schiit stacks,my schiit modi has some problem),
use Sennheiser HD650 for auditioning.

HD650 is......yes,relatively dark headphone when underpowered.
It performs well under these two,with Dacport HD the sound stage is smaller,detail retrieval(Dac section)is close to HIFI-M8(but line output into other amplifer is significantly below 2V),but amplifer section....I dont think Dacport HD can really compare with HIFI-M8;there's a gap between these two(Consider the price gap,it's reasonable,though.)

Now I really want to compare Dacport HD with Apogee Groove and Geekout V2,anyone has experience with them? 

Oct 18, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #155 of 277
  Now I really want to compare DACport HD with Apogee Groove and GeekOut V2, anyone has experience with them? 

I have all three. I definitely plan to do an extensive write-up. However I'm still trying to find my personal preferred sound - makes it easier to do the write-up by stating things like more forward, relaxed, etc. relative to a sound.

I have not listened to all three with the HD650, but here's my brief comparison:

Apogee Groove is a current amplifier. It feeds its power into headphones quite differently from the other two AMP/DAC. I find with heavy loads, such as the HD650, it truly shines. If you think the HD650 is veiled, try it again on the Groove. It may change your mind. However if your headphone is already easy to drive, you may its sound to be peculiar. It tends to solve impedance issues, but it also tends to break things where there was no issue to be solved. In terms of the DAC, it is the least resolving of the three. That is not to say there is plenty of detail - there is! It's just a nice, relaxed sound, easy to listen to for many hours on end.

DACport HD in many ways sits between the other two AMP/DAC. It is certainly not as much detail as the GeekOut V2, but I personally think it is the right amount of detail. Everything is "available" but not pressed against your face, kind of detail. The amp works perfectly well with all kinds of headphones. Like the GeekOut V2, it has a gain setting. I feel there is a slight upper treble push, and have yet to isolate this to the DAC or the AMP. That is, if your headphones already have a lot of treble energy, this may not make for the best pairing. The bass is quite strong too, but I found no issues on even my strongest bass headphones. The fault that I would point out, if any, is a slightly constricted sense of soundstage. The details are there and plentiful, but they don't seem to stretch out particularly far.

GeekOut V2 is a popular AMP/DAC, for good reason. It has a great amplifier and a fantastic Sabre 9018 DAC. The detail and soundstage are plentiful. However I have a very personal opinion with regards to the DAC chip, which is my ears quickly grow tired. I have this same DAC chip in an Oppo BDP-105, and my ears grow quickly tired of it too. Most people love it, and I think the implementation here at the price point is just fantastic. Definitely give the GeekOut V2 a listen for yourself. If you love it, you'll really love it!

I will re-visit your question using the HD650. I have only listened to the Groove connected to my HD650.

EDIT: My view points do not change based on my listening session using the HD650 on all three, however having a headphone in mind does allow for a personal ranking. To my ears, the DACport HD is third place. Its smaller soundstage and increased bass do not help my ears to punch through to the strength of HD650 sound. Switching to the GeekOut V2, I so much want to like it - perhaps you will. I still hear those high frequency digital artifacts. The Groove would be my choice for the HD650. It has an amplifier that in many ways compensates for the lack of digital detail, taking complete hold over the HD650. It has a good soundstage. And its sound is relaxed, such that I just want to immerse myself into it. Listening to Baker Baker by Tori Amos as I write this. She sounds the most present and real to me when listening to her on the Groove.

Oct 18, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #156 of 277
  I have all three. I definitely plan to do an extensive write-up. However I'm still trying to find my personal preferred sound - makes it easier to do the write-up by stating things like more forward, relaxed, etc. relative to a sound.

I have not listened to all three with the HD650, but here's my brief comparison:

Apogee Groove is a current amplifier. It feeds its power into headphones quite differently from the other two AMP/DAC. I find with heavy loads, such as the HD650, it truly shines. If you think the HD650 is veiled, try it again on the Groove. It may change your mind. However if your headphone is already easy to drive, you may its sound to be peculiar. It tends to solve impedance issues, but it also tends to break things where there was no issue to be solved. In terms of the DAC, it is the least resolving of the three. That is not to say there is plenty of detail - there is! It's just a nice, relaxed sound, easy to listen to for many hours on end.

DACport HD in many ways sits between the other two AMP/DAC. It is certainly not as much detail as the GeekOut V2, but I personally think it is the right amount of detail. Everything is "available" but not pressed against your face, kind of detail. The amp works perfectly well with all kinds of headphones. Like the GeekOut V2, it has a gain setting. I feel there is a slight upper treble push, and have yet to isolate this to the DAC or the AMP. That is, if your headphones already have a lot of treble energy, this may not make for the best pairing. The bass is quite strong too, but I found no issues on even my strongest bass headphones. The fault that I would point out, if any, is a slightly constricted sense of soundstage. The details are there and plentiful, but they don't seem to stretch out particularly far.

GeekOut V2 is a popular AMP/DAC, for good reason. It has a great amplifier and a fantastic Sabre 9018 DAC. The detail and soundstage are plentiful. However I have a very personal opinion with regards to the DAC chip, which is my ears quickly grow tired. I have this same DAC chip in an Oppo BDP-105, and my ears grow quickly tired of it too. Most people love it, and I think the implementation here at the price point is just fantastic. Definitely give the GeekOut V2 a listen for yourself. If you love it, you'll really love it!

I will re-visit your question using the HD650. I have only listened to the Groove connected to my HD650.

Great!Actually I've heard Apogee Groove with planars(quite good,but I'm really unfamiliar with LCDs and Hifimans)but not with HD650,and it's not easy to heard those Geeks here.
I think I'm gonna to give Apogee Groove a try.

And my view with Dacport HD is just the same with yours-On high-gain setting it'll become too bright with my taste,and slightly condensed soundstage.

Looking forward to your thought on HD650s with Dacport HD!

Oct 18, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #157 of 277
I truly want to write many, many reviews. Only I have no point of reference. Your suggestion to use the HD650 certainly helps 
biggrin.gif

But then everything sounds different on my Denon AH-D2000, and different on my Audeze EL-8, and different on my HiFiMan HE-1000. So I'm still working towards a good desktop rig, for comparison to these mobile units. Then perhaps I can get down to pen and paper 
tongue.gif

To my ears, the Groove knocks it out of the park on the HD650 headphones.

Oct 21, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #158 of 277
So do this have native DSD support for real? If so, up to what resolution? DSD64? DSD128? I could not find any information on their website or this forum.

I have Audioengine D3 and is looking for an upgrade. 

Oct 21, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #159 of 277
  So do this have native DSD support for real? If so, up to what resolution? DSD64? DSD128? I could not find any information on their website or this forum.

I have Audioengine D3 and is looking for an upgrade. 

Yes, this device supports direct decoding of DSD stream up to DSD128.  The DAC chip itself does support even higher rate, and has a direct bypass capability for DSD stream - however, the current limit of DSD128 may be due to maximum bitrate of 384k / 32 bit in PCM mode, which is used to deliver encapsulated DSD (DoP, aka DSD over PCM).​

Oct 21, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #160 of 277

Yes, this device supports direct decoding of DSD stream up to DSD128.  The DAC chip itself does support even higher rate, and has a direct bypass capability for DSD stream - however, the current limit of DSD128 may be due to maximum bitrate of 384k / 32 bit in PCM mode, which is used to deliver encapsulated DSD (DoP, aka DSD over PCM).​

What is the DAC chip? I've forgotten and was in the middle of looking that up. I also was not certain it did DSD128. I know it does at least DSD64, but was trying to find the DAC chip specs.

Oct 21, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #161 of 277
  What is the DAC chip? I've forgotten and was in the middle of looking that up. I also was not certain it did DSD128. I know it does at least DSD64, but was trying to find the DAC chip specs.

The chip in DACport HD is Asahi Kasei AK4490.  The same DAC chip is utilized on the new Schiit Bitfrost, recently released TEAC UD-503 and Astell & Kern AK380 - among many others.

I was able to play back DSD 5.6 files with no conversion (except DoP encapsulation) from PC - but that appears to be the limit of DACport HD.  TEAC UD-503 does support DSD 11.2 (DSD256) - but that's a different animal, which is also capable of upconverting all of incoming PCM to DSD 11.2

Dec 21, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #164 of 277
Has anyone tried this with one of the USB-cleanup products? I am starting to suspect much of my initial assessment was flawed by a crappy USB source. And I've still yet to come across a good laptop recommendation, before I purchase my next computer.

Back to topic - I hear none of the high frequency glare or aggressiveness I heard initially, now that I am playing through a clean USB pathway.

Dec 21, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #165 of 277

I tried mine through Wyrd and iFi iUSB, with either device DACportHD shows an improvement.  However, it is more pronounced with Wyrd, which seems to indicate that either my USB source quality is not up to par (which is likely, as I am using a rather dated laptop), or this DAC's USB chipset is quite sensitive to source.  In any case, extra power in my case definitely improves bass quality and addresses some of the harshness in the high frequency region.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back