census time... amp/DAC owners stand-up
May 2, 2009 at 2:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

klb2122

100+ Head-Fier
I'm interested in taking something of a census in hopes of getting a sense of how large this community is.

How many out there have portable amps with built in DACs. I spend a lot of time on subways and see vast numbers of folks with headphones. but I have yet to see someone carrying an amp along with them...

If there seems to be so few portable amp users (at least very few using their amps on-the-go), reason would have it that there might be even fewer portable amp/DAC combo users.

So if you can...

What portable amp/DAC do you use?
and do you use it on the go?

I dont work in marketing, I'm just get odd looks sometimes and I'm wondering how alone i am.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit!Facebook it!
Edit/Delete Message

May 2, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #2 of 12
Meier Audio's CORDA 3MOVE

I don't use it a lot on-the-go, mainly because my iBasso T4 is much easier to carry around. But I do use it on-the-go from time to time.

May 2, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #3 of 12
absolutely I use my gear on the move ALL THE TIME, I dont know if i've ever seen anyone else either, but io'm not really on the lookout. also i'm pretty immune to weird looks, I used to dress and look pretty strange when I was younger, so perhaps I just dont notice.

iriver ihp-120->sysconcept optical->iBasso D10->piccolino cable->Lisa III-W3/SE530 w UM56 or a similar sized DIYMOD->VCAP rig.

sometimes I also just use the iriver->D10->IEMs as well, if i'm not bringing a bag with me; like just going down the shops or whatever

you just have to look at the D10 thread and the size of it in only a couple of months to see how popular they are. there are billions of people though you know and the vast majority still use standard ibuds

May 2, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #4 of 12
I use my FiiO on the go, still waiting for my D10.

May 4, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #5 of 12
On the go I use a NuForce Icon Mobile (DAC+amp) or Fiio e5 (amp). Then again, I am rarely on the go to the extent that I do not have a laptop (yay college campus lifestyle), so I am using the Icon for Dac and amp duties.

-Nkk

May 4, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #6 of 12
D10 and Styleaudio topaz. The topaz isn't portable, but I've used the D10 to amp my ESW9 (w/iriver clix2 as source)...I don't think ESW9 (42 ohm) benefit enough from amping to justify the usage of an amp. If I had a source with optical out, I would definitely use the D10 as a DAC & amp on the go.

May 5, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #7 of 12
Perhaps a poll would be easier? Something like 1)uses amp only outside, 2)uses dac only outside, 3)uses both amp+dac (seperates or combo) outside, 4)doesn't use outside. Or more general, outside and inside.

May 5, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #9 of 12
Got a Total Bithead, as basic as you can get. Use it much more as a DAC than an amp though.

May 5, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #10 of 12
Mini^3 usually with my er4s.

FiiO E3 with my NDS
FiiO E5 sometimes with the clip
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by eccdbb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps a poll would be easier? Something like 1)uses amp only outside, 2)uses dac only outside, 3)uses both amp+dac (seperates or combo) outside, 4)doesn't use outside. Or more general, outside and inside.

I dont know if a poll would be all that much easier... certainly another way to go about this. So far this and another thread of similar topic have proven interesting enough.

I use a Nuforce Icon mobile, mostly just the amp. For DAC I use a Wavelength Brick (no portability there). Some day I'd like to give a pico/DAC and P-51 Mustang a shot. But for now the Nuforce has done plenty for my NE-8s. I have not tried it on the k701s as I use a SHA-Gold and dont plan on taking them out of the house.

Thanks for all the posts thus far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back