Cen.Grand DSDAC 1.0 Deluxe - ending point in my search for a new reference
Feb 23, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #481 of 542
intent of external clocking has traditionally been to sync up gear rather than upgrade SQ
Why would you want to sync gear if it does not have any impact on SQ?

Feb 23, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #482 of 542
Then what would be the purpose of the LHY UIP or Ideon Absolute Time - devices that are placed in the chain with an USB in- and output?

There are any number of beneficial things that could be happening inside those devices - from reducing various types of noise, to changing the jitter profile, to cleaning up the 5V USB power signal, etc. It's hard to say which of these aspects may be contributing to sonic improvements. And each system the device might be used in has its own strengths/weaknesses in those various attributes... so the result will vary from one setup to the next.

Why would you want to sync gear if it does not have any impact on SQ?

Studio applications with complex setups, where everything has to be synchronized to function properly together. That is by far the older and more "traditional" application, whereas audiophile use at home is a relatively new development.

Feb 23, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #483 of 542
There are any number of beneficial things that could be happening inside those devices
You are right: it is a three step improvement process.

It would make sense to make a distinction between word clocks, reclockers etc. Anyways, the whole discussion was about the SQ improvement using a USB reclocker (like the Ideon Time/ LHY UIP).

The features of the Time reclocker are:
  • Separate, electrically stable USB and coaxial (SPDIF) inputs
  • Superlatively sized power bank, hand-made audiophile transformer
  • Linear, triple-stage, ultra-low noise, stabilized, power supply, with separate lines to different circuits.
  • Low esr, audiophile (silk) capacitors throughout;
  • Proprietary, femto clock re-clocking circuit on an upgradable platform;
  • Phase correct restitution and vanishingly low jitter.
  • Proprietary, zero-noise rectification bridge eliminates diode-rectification noise
  • USB output: ultra-stabilized with signal boost, high power (2.5S / 5V rail), easily drives any load
The above features/ functionalities have major impact on the Cengrand’s performance (which one specific I cant tell). I suspect the UIP to do more or less the same. And yes, the Time is more than just a traditional external clock.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #484 of 542
Then what would be the purpose of the LHY UIP or Ideon Absolute Time - devices that are placed in the chain with an USB in- and output?
I think the main thing the LHY UIP is providing in this application is galvanic isolation from a computer / music server that doesn't have isolation on the USB outputs. So less digital noise is being transferred to the DAC.

Feb 28, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #485 of 542
Which interface is preferable on this DAC, USB or AES?

Feb 28, 2024 at 6:58 PM Post #486 of 542
Let your ears decide.. @Lucus your statement is false - a clock signal can be improved through an external clock (reclocking) on a single base/ device as well.
@2mas

I can only confirm everything @Vincent_Amsterdam says.
I have lhy uip + lhy ock-2 and the sound quality increase is significant and clearly and distinctly audible from the first seconds.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #487 of 542
@2mas

I can only confirm everything @Vincent_Amsterdam says.
I have lhy uip + lhy ock-2 and the sound quality increase is significant and clearly and distinctly audible from the first seconds.
Is there much difference between the UIP alone and UIP + OCK-2?

Edit - sorry, in the context that was probably your point!

Feb 28, 2024 at 7:08 PM Post #488 of 542
Is there much difference between the UIP alone and UIP + OCK-2?
oh yes,

it would be even difficult for me to say what gives a greater increase to the sound. LHY uip alone or ock-2 as an addition to uip.

and perhaps I would lean towards the second variant. Apparently the clock inside ock-2 is much better than what is standard ocxo in most of LHY devices.

Feb 29, 2024 at 1:48 AM Post #489 of 542
Which interface is preferable on this DAC, USB or AES?
All CG inputs are of high quality.. but also depending on your source that may be optimized for one or another. As claimed in previous posts: the USB signal can be sanitized by reclockers etc. Furthermore: try and pick your preference..

Feb 29, 2024 at 2:18 AM Post #492 of 542
Speaking of inputs....is the deluxe equipped with true balanced to amp ?
The CG Deluxe does have XLR inputs.. whether they are ‘truly balanced’ no idea 🤷🏼‍♂️

Feb 29, 2024 at 7:34 PM Post #494 of 542
But what do you buy for reclocker and LHY uip.. as soon as the Cen Grand streamer comes out you will be forced to sell them both since it certainly won't connect to USB and won't have the input for the reclocker...:gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile:
Full marks for the confidence, if not the accuracy, of your prediction.

Feb 29, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #495 of 542
Full marks for the confidence, if not the accuracy, of your prediction.

Obviously my "prediction" is dictated by the fact that the Cen Grand streamer will be connected to the Cen Grand DAC with its proprietary connection so whether the USB is there or not it will be useless. And yes, I don't think the streamer will have a connection for an external clock, but that's just my prediction... :gs1000smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back