Cen.Grand DSDAC 1.0 Deluxe - ending point in my search for a new reference
Jan 3, 2024 at 2:36 AM Post #436 of 542
I have lately heard much great things about a high end DAC by Playback Designs, the MPD-8 designed by their founder Andreas Koch. I believe it is also a DSD DAC, not sure anyone has the great fortune to listen to it?

Of course at a cool 5 figure sum of $30K+ or so, it is in a different league which should not be used to compare with the CG DSDAC Deluxe. :)

Jan 3, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #437 of 542
I have heard various Playback Designs models over the years, including the MPS-5 (CD player with digital inputs including an early USB implementation), MPD-3, MPD-6, Merlot, and likely some others I am forgetting about. I've always come away from the experience very impressed and with a high degree of respect for Andreas Koch and his design philosophies.

That said, I have not experienced the MPD-8. But I would be shocked if the signature deviated very far from the rest of the family. Which, I might add, does in fact remind me of the organic realism I hear from the DSDAC1.0 Deluxe.

Jan 3, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #438 of 542
DSDAC Deluxe keeps getting better and better, I never had this kind enjoyment with Terminator Plus, my previous DAC.

Jan 3, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #440 of 542
Jan 3, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #441 of 542

DSDAC Deluxe keeps getting better and better, I never had this kind enjoyment with Terminator Plus, my previous DAC.
Better and better, agree. Feeling like it so good, one has to look elsewhere to get improvements..

Jan 30, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #447 of 542
1706627429816.png

Arrived a little while ago, I'll let it go into thermal equilibrium so that the OCXO clock on board goes to temperature and then I'll report back to you on its performance :wink:

Jan 30, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #450 of 542
Extraordinary reclocker! He took the Cen Grand to a stratospheric level, the most shocking improvement being on timbre, soundstage and dynamics. However, all parameters have improved a lot
I told you so :wink: great to hear!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back