Cen.Grand DSDAC 1.0 Deluxe - ending point in my search for a new reference
Mar 20, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #46 of 567
Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #47 of 567
Cen Grand Deluxe has landed. Unfortunately my OTL got shipped out today for some maintenence, so I've decided to fully burn-in my v550 pro, the Cen Grand and a new Atrium closed all at the same time, all hiding behind my anti-hellhound gate.

Listening now, but considering none of the three main components are burned-in I'm not expecting, nor hearing anything all too spectacular yet. I haven't messed with any of the filters nor sample rates yet.

20664.jpeg
Is that Camphor Burl on your AC? The Black looks great.

Mar 20, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #48 of 567
If you saw my puppy, who weighs 140lbs, you'd understand :)

Yeah. I didn't even now it came in black, but i like it too. This thing is built like a tank!
It sure is... Are you burning in the volume pot as well? I notice you have it set up as a DAC/Pre.

Mar 20, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #49 of 567
Is that Camphor Burl on your AC?
It's Thuya burl, which I admittedly have never heard of until Zach told me about it. It's stunning looking, but it arrived with zero hours on it, so I have a long ways to go before it opens up like the Burmese Teak AC I have here as well.

The Thuya is a harder wood type vs. the teak, so in theory it will tighten up the sub bass some.

My v550 pro only has about 60 hours on it, so I'm killing three birds with one stone.

Mar 20, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #50 of 567
If you saw my puppy, who weighs 140lbs, you'd understand :)
Ah no wonder! I also get stressed out whenever my cat is about to jump to the top of my tube preamp 😂

Mar 20, 2023 at 10:24 PM Post #51 of 567
It's Thuya burl, which I admittedly have never heard of until Zach told me about it. It's stunning looking, but it arrived with zero hours on it, so I have a long ways to go before it opens up like the Burmese Teak AC I have here as well.

The Thuya is a harder wood type vs. the teak, so in theory it will tighten up the sub bass some.

My v550 pro only has about 60 hours on it, so I'm killing three birds with one stone.
I am way too impatient. I'd be listening...:). I have an AC in route. Can't wait to see what he sends...

Mar 20, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #52 of 567
It sure is... Are you burning in the volume pot as well? I notice you have it set up as a DAC/Pre.
My Lampizator has a built-in pre amp and remote, which I really enjoy having as my gear is behind me and out of reach when I listen, so I'm taking advantage of the pre amp function on the Deluxe. The Merason doesnt have a pre amp, and thus no remote, so the Deluxe already has one point in its favor.

Mar 20, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #53 of 567
I found my Cen.Grand DAC opened up at about 50 hrs and then kept improving incrementally up to 150 hrs. It may plateau again, we'll see. But, it is sounding pretty great as is...

Mar 20, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #54 of 567
My Lampizator has a built-in pre amp and remote, which I really enjoy having as my gear is behind me and out of reach when I listen, so I'm taking advantage of the pre amp function on the Deluxe. The Merason doesnt have a pre amp, and thus no remote, so the Deluxe already has one point in its favor.
I haven't taken the remote out of the box yet. Nor have I used it as a preamp yet. Solely as a fixed DAC.

Mar 20, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #55 of 567
I haven't taken the remote out of the box yet. Nor have I used it as a preamp yet. Solely as a fixed DAC.
the v550 has a remote which is great, but my OTL, the IHA 6, the Schiit Piety does not, nor does my vintage Sansui 881 (bottom shelf), so i'm quite dependant upon a remote.

Mar 21, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #56 of 567
Wow you put them in a cage 😁

It's just a matter of perspective. Actually, he is in the cage with the gear. The rest of the house doesn't matter. :wink:

Mar 23, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #57 of 567
the v550 has a remote which is great, but my OTL, the IHA 6, the Schiit Piety does not, nor does my vintage Sansui 881 (bottom shelf), so i'm quite dependant upon a remote.
How is burn in coming along?

Mar 23, 2023 at 1:59 AM Post #58 of 567
How is burn in coming along?
It has about 40 hours on it now, give or take. Past experience has taught me it helps to give a component, whether it be a headphone, amp or DAC a bit of break every now and then, so I left it off last night but I will leave it on tonight when I go to bed.

So far the biggest changes I've noticed is it has become brighter and the stage has improved some. The bass might've tightened up some, but don't quote me on that one. Right now it has a similar tone as the Merason, with a darker background and minus the ferocity of the Merason.

I will update as changes become apparent.

Mar 23, 2023 at 2:16 AM Post #59 of 567
It has about 40 hours on it now, give or take. Past experience has taught me it helps to give a component, whether it be a headphone, amp or DAC a bit of break every now and then, so I left it off last night but I will leave it on tonight when I go to bed.

So far the biggest changes I've noticed is it has become brighter and the stage has improved some. The bass might've tightened up some, but don't quote me on that one. Right now it has a similar tone as the Merason, with a darker background and minus the ferocity of the Merason.

I will update as changes become apparent.
Interesting. I was reading up on the Merason MK2 last night. Looks like an awesome DAC. They make great products, pure and simple. Interested in your impressions as you get further along. I am not sure I would call the Cen.Grand a ferocious DAC. I find the sound to have a nobility to it, though and extremely analog sounding. DSD DACs are such a different beast.

Mar 23, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #60 of 567
It's already plenty fast, which makes me happy. The first night it was kinda warm and sluggish, but tonight it's brighter and was able to keep up with every metal track I threw at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back