Cen.Grand 9i-906 "Silver Fox"
Dec 31, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #886 of 969
I had great opportunity and compare 3 amps.
Wells audio HeadTrip 3 lv2, Niimbus US5 pro, cen.grand i9-906 Silver Fox.
HT is THE stage champion without any doubts, it is both wide and deep, very 3-dimensional, everything is neatly lined up around the head.
SF is like HT in width, but lose to other 2 amps in depth. US5 is deep and very good layered, but same time narrower than the other two (US5 builds quite tightly without compromising positioning).
HT is better in transparency, timber, details and resolution. Excellent, simply excellent micro and macro dynamics. Bass impact and hardness (elasticity) the best I've ever heard, it would seem that this is the best transistor, but, probably, it is already the best in terms of versatility, but it has its own but... The most neutral, almost dead neutral yet very musical.

US5 has the blackest background, which also catches the eye and gives a very noticeable effect.

Let's talk on "grey zones" of amps
- SF has that weight of notes, top end air, transparency and good detail retrieval. Top end is somewhat bright, low end is massive and thick, mids are full. I never faced something similar sounding. It's almost everything and now. Yes I'd like to have more depth and hardness on lows (like HT) with texture of HT and US5. SF is smooth, very smooth sounding amp.
- US5 is dense, weighted and most dark sounding with sparky top end. It has lower transparency and detail retrieval than HT. I want to say it has matte sound without gloss.
- HT is very punchy, hard hitting with amazing resolution and separation. From the beginning I thought it has not so much weight of notes and sounds bright but after burn in SQ become darker with much more meat on bones.

overview
from dark to bright US5-HT-SF
punch from better to worst HT-US5-SF
details/resolution from better level to lower HT-US5=SF (last two almost the same result)
power - all 3 can drive anything...
dimensions from smaller to bigger US5-SF-HT
musicality (liquid sound) from best to worst SF=HT-US5. That doesn't mean US5 is dry to analytical, it just on 3rd place

Any of these amp can be end-game.

In the end I sold SF and quite sure HT3 lv2 can be the one and only.

P.S. my equipment: PS audio DS mk2, aurender n200, snorry trion headphones.
Is the Headtrip 3 Lv2 has been released? I don't find it on Wells Audio website?

Jan 1, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #888 of 969
Alright, doesn´t really matter but I liked that you "just" looked at performence and not price. But when I looked it up 15k USD not even considering buying it over here... that´s 4 potentially 5 times as expensive as SF for me.

Listening to electronic music... ambient, techno, D&B and such (don´t know what "audiophiles" mean with EDM) I take all statements, impressions and reviews with a big grain of salt.
Again I´m not one of those with 5 or more pages (not listings) in classiefieds, of gear tried out, tested and sold. Unfortunatley - have gotten the answer that´s the way to find out BUT maybe I find a shortcut...

So I was intrigued with your description of HT and since smooooth gets mentioned so predominantley with SF (and cen.grand DACs) I´m wondering which TOTL -meaning around 5k mark - SS amp would suit my listening habit best.

$15k is for Headtrip 2 Level 2, not sure how much the price for Headtrip 3 Level 2

I'm sorry but this is the SF thread so we shouldn't spoil... so let me be short..it's not on website (serial production) but they are sell in some qty.. there is review by CMA as well.
I just knew about HT3. Is it the upgrade version of HT2? (and also the price?)

Jan 1, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #890 of 969
Finally @rsbrsvp you chose an AGD device as you picture. Never heard the Silver Fox, right? Aiming for 394ii for mentioned reasons...
Are you "coming" from AGD? Ever had/heard the HE9-mk2or3?
I had a CFA-3 before Mass Kobo 394 II. Both excellent... MK much better in IMHO.

Passion For Sound review of Silver Fox was not great........... Seems to be a good amplifier but not in the CFA-3, Burson, R23, Zahl level (of neutranlty and technical) unless one wants a certain somewhat smoother coloration- which is of course fine....

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #891 of 969
I had a CFA-3 before Mass Kobo 394 II. Both excellent... MK much better in IMHO.

Passion For Sound review of Silver Fox was not great........... Seems to be a good amplifier but not in the CFA-3, Burson, R23, Zahl level (of neutranlty and technical) unless one wants a certain somewhat smoother coloration- which is of course fine....
SF is never was neutral at all… but for my point of view Burson not on closer level…
Sf is definitely coloring amp..

Jan 1, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #892 of 969
I listened to Passion for Sound's entire review of the Silver Fox on YouTube and he talks about it in absolutely enthusiastic terms except, perhaps, for a slight noise with some iems and very low impedance headphones. Furthermore, it features the same operational amplifiers as the Enleum, so to speak who certainly didn't save on components.

Jan 1, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #893 of 969
I listened to Passion for Sound's entire review of the Silver Fox on YouTube and he talks about it in absolutely enthusiastic terms except, perhaps, for a slight noise with some iems and very low impedance headphones. Furthermore, it features the same operational amplifiers as the Enleum, so to speak who certainly didn't save on components.
I did not understand his two reviews as highly enthusiastic- but rather moderately enthusiastic. He prefered the Burson and Enlum. and made it clear the Zahl was quite ahead. Doesnt mean he is correct. But he is a trusted reviewer. He said if one likes a somewhat processed refined sound- the SF was great.

He certainly liked it- but was not crazy about it. This was clear to me....

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #894 of 969
When reviewing an object, personal tastes also come into play. There are those who prefer the Susvara to the Stax x9000, those who prefer the Utopia to the Abyss 1266 tc. They are 4 wonderful TOTL but each one sounds different and personal tastes reign supreme. Just like SF and Enleum or Burson. The Zalh costs more than double the SF, I hope it sounds at least 10% better considering the price...:gs1000smile:

Jan 2, 2024 at 6:56 AM Post #896 of 969
I did not understand his two reviews as highly enthusiastic- but rather moderately enthusiastic. He prefered the Burson and Enlum. and made it clear the Zahl was quite ahead. Doesnt mean he is correct. But he is a trusted reviewer. He said if one likes a somewhat processed refined sound- the SF was great.

"Trusted Reviewer"? More like just some guy who started a YouTube channel. It's all subjective, and that's just one guy's opinion.

The only way to know if you will like a piece of gear or what it sounds like, is to hear it for yourself.

Jan 2, 2024 at 7:11 AM Post #899 of 969

And he had out it up for sale in local classifieds. So not a keeper, compared to what he already has/uses

https://www.stereonet.com/forums/topic/599628-cengrand-9i-906-silver-fox-headphone-amp-black/

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024 at 7:19 AM Post #900 of 969
He like meze empyrean and Elite best. For me empyrean is a bad headphones at any price for the sound. Not even better than ananda. And you say SF not in the Burson/enleum level base only by his review? That funny
I NEVER said it is not on Burson or Enlum level. He said it. I have never heard any of these

Users who are viewing this thread

Back