Cen.Grand 9i-906 "Silver Fox"
Sep 12, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #676 of 969
I had this amp about three years ago and I couldn’t find anything. May be different now
It's always been the same, I just think no one knew much about rolling rectifiers or how to find them, until I started posting about my findings this past year.

Sep 12, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #678 of 969
Maybe. I did try. I never miss an opportunity to spend more money on tubes :)
… even with a Silver Fox … ? ( back on 🛤 )

Sep 14, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #679 of 969
I’m not saying that’s not what you heard, but that sounds not believable. I’ve had the
HA-300. I’ve also had the Silver Fox twice and I’m back to the V281. Everyone has different definitions but I’ll give you that the solidness in presentation for being solid state versus tube, but no way the vocals and percussion has fuller body with the Silver Fox. You’re trying to tell me that thr SF has those characteristics compared to a 300B amp? Maybe you had crappy tubes.

If that’s what you believe, this back-and-forth between us pretty much explains why it’s difficult to get someone else’s opinion on how a component sounds as we all must hear differently.

I thought the silver fox sounds good, but not to my taste. I guess it depends on the music you listen to. For me it didn’t work with classic rock.
What do you not like about the Silver Fox amp that made you go back to the V281 amp?

I am presently using a Cayin HA300Mk2 amp (equipped with Mullard CV6 driver tubes and WE300B tubes) with my Meze Empy Elite headphones and I love that combination. However, I also own a Susvara headphone which sounds too thin (lacking enough tonal density - especially in the lower midrange and midbass) with any amp that I have ever owned (including the Cayin tube amp and my V281 amp). I was wondering whether the Silver Fox could make it sound more "meaty".

Jeff.

Sep 14, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #680 of 969
What do you not like about the Silver Fox amp that made you go back to the V281 amp?

I am presently using a Cayin HA300Mk2 amp (equipped with Mullard CV6 driver tubes and WE300B tubes) with my Meze Empy Elite headphones and I love that combination. However, I also own a Susvara headphone which sounds too thin (lacking enough tonal density - especially in the lower midrange and midbass) with any amp that I have ever owned (including the Cayin tube amp and my V281 amp). I was wondering whether the Silver Fox could make it sound more "meaty".

Jeff.
There is no headphone amplifier that can drive the Susvara 100%... I own 7, plus I've had many others. The only one who manages to drive it in a wonderful way, extracting all the "juice" of the Chinese one, is to connect it to the terminals of a Pathos InPol mk2. Only from there does the Susvara manage to be the wonderful headphone that it is. I have 2 Megahertz monos with 300B Elrog tubes driven by an EAR912 preamp, a Cavalli Liquid gold, a Volot, a Cen Grand, a Headamp gsx mk2 and 2 Purifi class D power amplifiers.

Sep 14, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #681 of 969
There is no headphone amplifier that can drive the Susvara 100%... I own 7, plus I've had many others. The only one who manages to drive it in a wonderful way, extracting all the "juice" of the Chinese one, is to connect it to the terminals of a Pathos InPol mk2. Only from there does the Susvara manage to be the wonderful headphone that it is. I have 2 Megahertz monos with 300B Elrog tubes driven by an EAR912 preamp, a Cavalli Liquid gold, a Volot, a Cen Grand, a Headamp gsx mk2 and 2 Purifi class D power amplifiers.

Thats such a ridiculous statement. No amplifier?? Come on now.

There are lots of amps with enough power to drive it to its capabilities. The difference is do you like that particular sound and sound signature of the combo.

I had a Susvara in my house a couple weeks and used my Simaudio 600i V2 speaker amp (with speaker tap to headphone adapter) as well as CFA3 and those provided more than enough power.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #683 of 969

There are lots of amps with enough power to drive it to its capabilities. The difference is do you like that particular sound and sound signature of the combo.

I had a Susvara in my house a couple weeks and used my Simaudio 600i V2 speaker amp (with speaker tap to headphone adapter) as well as CFA3 and those provided more than enough power.

Power isn't everything. It's not the watts that are lacking in many amps, such as the Volot or the Cen Grand, it's the classic iron fist in a velvet glove that is missing. The Pathos, a 45 watt hybrid Mosfet valve amplifier in class A obviously has a lot of power for headphones but also sweetness, musicality and refinement. I played the Susvara connected to the Pathos to 2 of my friends who own high-end headphone amps and they too confirmed that they had never listened to it so well.

Sep 14, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #684 of 969
Power isn't everything. It's not the watts that are lacking in many amps, such as the Volot or the Cen Grand, it's the classic iron fist in a velvet glove that is missing. The Pathos, a 45 watt hybrid Mosfet valve amplifier in class A obviously has a lot of power for headphones but also sweetness, musicality and refinement. I played the Susvara connected to the Pathos to 2 of my friends who own high-end headphone amps and they too confirmed that they had never listened to it so well.

I’ll still stand by my statement. It’s a matter of taste. Plenty of amps can drive it to its potential. It all comes down to do you like the synergy.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #685 of 969
Have you tried the Enleum with the Susvara? A lot of testimonials on the Susvara thread about the 23r. I like listening to my music on the lower side 75-80db, so a speaker amp may be wasted on me.

Sep 14, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #686 of 969
Have you tried the Enleum with the Susvara? A lot of testimonials on the Susvara thread about the 23r. I like listening to my music on the lower side 75-80db, so a speaker amp may be wasted on me.
It's one of the very few headphone amplifiers I've never listened to. As for the rest, I tried them all because I'm a huge fan of headphones, I own 21, all TOTL.

Sep 14, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #689 of 969
IMG_20230914_185404[1].jpg

Sep 14, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #690 of 969
Sorry Ken but I'm 60 years old and I've been listening to headphones all my life. If I tell you that only the Pathos managed to bring out the soul of the Susvara it is only after having tested it with dozens of amplifiers

Excuse me, but my post was not to you. It was in reference to the person saying that he listens at a lower volume and probably does need a high powered amplifier.

You’re also confusing what I’m telling you and are proving my point in your answer. My point is that there are plenty of amplifiers that drive the Savara properly, but it comes down to personal preference as to if you like the synergy of the headphone and a particular amplifier.

You’re happy with your amplifier and like how it sounds with your headphone. They’re also probably 10 different people that like 10 different combinations, and to them it’s the best they’ve ever heard. No wrong combinations.

How about this thread returns to the Silver Fox, and the Susvara and the amping of it goes to the many other threads that are out there designated for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back