Cen.Grand 9i-906 "Silver Fox"
Feb 7, 2023 at 1:14 AM Post #31 of 969
My Cen.Grand DSDAC 1.0 Super Clock is in the house. Barely even warmed up and WOW! It sounds incredible. The Cen.Grand brand is no joke. This DAC sounds 2-3x its price, easily. I can't believe how good my system sounds and the owner recommends 100-300 hrs of break in. Oh, I've got some good days ahead. Pics soon...
Oh wow this sounds really encouraging, especially when you’re pairing it with CFA3! I’ve been looking for an upgrade for my DAC and was set on getting the Lumin P1, but this definitely piqued my interest. The only drawback is I have to use/get a separate streamer since the DAC doesn’t have ethernet input. Look forward to more of your impressions!

Feb 7, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #32 of 969
Oh wow this sounds really encouraging, especially when you’re pairing it with CFA3! I’ve been looking for an upgrade for my DAC and was set on getting the Lumin P1, but this definitely piqued my interest. The only drawback is I have to use/get a separate streamer since the DAC doesn’t have ethernet input. Look forward to more of your impressions!

On the plus side, the DSDAC 1.0 does very well even with sources that aren't amazing/expensive. They have a proprietary clocking system that seems quite effective, so transport quality is not as critical as it can be with some other DACs in the same price range.

This means you are free to use something relatively inexpensive like an iFi Zen Stream, or an RPi-based solution, or just a spare laptop/Mac Mini/DIY Roon server etc and still get exceptional sound.

Feb 7, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #33 of 969
On the plus side, the DSDAC 1.0 does very well even with sources that aren't amazing/expensive. They have a proprietary clocking system that seems quite effective, so transport quality is not as critical as it can be with some other DACs in the same price range.

This means you are free to use something relatively inexpensive like an iFi Zen Stream, or an RPi-based solution, or just a spare laptop/Mac Mini/DIY Roon server etc and still get exceptional sound.
That’s good to hear. I also noticed that there are 3 types of DAC, the TOTL one is called the Advanced. May I ask which one you’re using right now? And hopefully there’s someone who has compared the three & could provide some impressions.

Feb 7, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #35 of 969
I know it's called the "Silver" Fox but I do think black would also look quite nice. Sort of understated but then you look close and there are tons of design details to notice, like the soundwave shape of the side venting.

In case I forgot to mention there's a thread for the Cen.Grand DSDAC 1.0 as well, so far only two of us to discuss but I suspect that number will grow.

Feb 7, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #36 of 969
I know it's called the "Silver" Fox but I do think black would also look quite nice. Sort of understated but then you look close and there are tons of design details to notice, like the soundwave shape of the side venting.

In case I forgot to mention there's a thread for the Cen.Grand DSDAC 1.0 as well, so far only two of us to discuss but I suspect that number will grow.
I just subscribed :smile_phones:

Feb 7, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #37 of 969
Feb 8, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #38 of 969
Where have you been? 😁
Haha, both of the Cen.Grand threads were just made the other day. I'm just late subscribing to DAC thread.

Feb 8, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #40 of 969
Better late than never... said the guy who's been enjoying the Cen.Grand stack for 5 months now yet is just now starting threads about them.
Haha, so true!

Feb 8, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #41 of 969
I'll be interested in the initial takes on this amp on performance, synergies, sound signature, etc...

Also interested in the performance of the outputs (e.g. double 3 pin XLR balanced vs 4 pin xlr). The design is both clean and impressive on build quality.. Also wondering if there will be a preamp option as well?

Feb 8, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #42 of 969
Btw I know of several people around here who were or are strongly considering a purchase of the Cen.Grand DAC and/or amp. So should be some more impressions coming in once they arrive.
Yes, I am definitely one of those! Still saving up the cash.

Feb 8, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #43 of 969
Yesterday, I had the pleasure of meeting with Jianhue and his wife. Jianhue is the owner and lead designer behind Cen.Grand products. Really nice guy and a very dedicated audiophile. We spent about 4 hours talking and developing a business plan. Then we all went out for pizza. His wife said there is no good pizza in China and she seeks out some New York style pizza when visiting the US with her husband. I found a little Italian owned restaurant near my home in New Jersey with a fantastic margherita. Very crispy crust, sweet plum tomato sauce, and fresh mozzarella. Now I'm hungry thinking about it!

We spent a couple more hours talking and then called it a night. I really enjoyed their visit and I look forward to our business cooperation. :)

Picture...

Cen.Grand-PowerHoldings.jpg
Heck yea Arthur! This is Ryan, we talked last week, over the phone and email, about the Cen.Grand Silver Fox! Great to see you posting here!

Feb 8, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #44 of 969
I'll be interested in the initial takes on this amp on performance, synergies, sound signature, etc...

Also interested in the performance of the outputs (e.g. double 3 pin XLR balanced vs 4 pin xlr). The design is both clean and impressive on build quality.. Also wondering if there will be a preamp option as well?

My take so far is that it is an extremely natural sounding amp, with practically unlimited grunt when needed but also delicacy and grace when that is called for. It can do speed and resolution as well as any amp I've ever heard - definitely up there in the top echelon where very few amps live - and carves out a massive (yet precise) holographic soundscape which reminds me of top-tier tube amps. It really is an incredibly enjoyable amp.

As far as synergy, it really is pretty universal. I've been using the LCD-5 a lot which definitely benefits from the high-current output and iron grip of the Silver Fox. Helps LCD-5 sound more lively and full-bodied than it does with less potent amps, whilst retaining excellent clarity. But I've also had great results with the Meze Elite for a somewhat more lush presentation without going overboard. I could listen to that combo for hours. And I've also been using the 64 Audio A18t in balanced mode, which again is incredibly punchy and fluid, reminding me how satisfying those CIEMs are even after being around for all these years.

I'll have some ZMF models in soon and look forward to hearing how well those pair with the amp.

As far as outputs, I don't really notice any difference between the 4-pin XLR and the 4.4mm balanced jacks. The single-ended 1/4" out feels slightly flatter and less dynamic, but it's a pretty small reduction compared to some other amps I've heard. I would happily use it with something like an Audio Technica W3000ANV where a balanced recable is not necessarily an option (please don't butcher rare headphones, thanks). I don't own anything cabled with the dual 3-pin style so I haven't used that yet, but I'll try to get my hands on something or at least an adapter when possible, just to be sure.

While the outputs don't seem to make much difference, your choice of output mode (BTL, Active Ground, Parallel, or Normal) can be more significant. I haven't nailed down a pattern just yet but I do think certain headphones react best with specific options. More on that as I figure them out a bit.

As for preamp, the matching DSDAC1.0 has integrated preamp capabilities, and I suspect Cen.Grand really expects folks to use them together. Hence no overlap in features.

Feb 8, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #45 of 969
Thank you! I've been meaning to start a thread for a while now but just so busy with life and other review projects etc. So I'll just add on to this one instead.

Been using the Silver Fox along with the Cen.Grand DADAC1.0 Deluxe for a few months and they are now my reference system. Just superb in every way. Will add more thoughts and pics as I have them.

That's interesting and the amp itself is said to sound similar to Bakoon/Enleum (the same output devices IIRC).

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back