Cen.Grand 9i-906 "Silver Fox"
Sep 29, 2023 at 1:15 AM Post #721 of 977
I had he9 mk2 right before silver fox. I’d like say he9 is more neutral, more smooth, more “grey” sounding amp. Silver fox is on the next level technically. It has stronger bass region, more transparent, much more detailes and lushness. Highs are more detailed but never harsh or shouty. Silver fox is more full bodied and punchy amp.
I heard the SILVER FOX has no remote. This is unfortunately a deal breaker for me. Preamps add noise and dacs rarely have volume controls as good as headphone amps.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #724 of 977
Cen.Grand 9i-906+Audiobyte Hydra Vox+Audeze LCD5, a winning triptych

Sep 29, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #725 of 977
Does the Grand Cen DAC pair well with the Silver Fox amplifier?

I ask this because DSD sound is very tonally saturated and round, and if the Silver Fox is lush and warm as well (as I hear it is) - it may slow down things to much....

Perhaps the Grand Cen, DAC would pair better with a more neutral amp. like the Bliss or CFA-3?

I'd appreciate some opinions.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #726 of 977
I heard the SILVER FOX has no remote. This is unfortunately a deal breaker for me. Preamps add noise and dacs rarely have volume controls as good as headphone amps.

The matching Cen.Grand DSDAC 1.0 already has volume control (which is extremely well done), so it makes sense to not repeat that feature with the Silver Fox. It seems like a reasonable approach to me - of course they would want people using the matching stack rather than mixing it up with other brands.

But yes, I suppose if you really need pre-amp functionality from your headphone amp, and don't want to use the matching DSDAC, the Silver Fox is off the list.

Cen.Grand 9i-906+Audiobyte Hydra Vox+Audeze LCD5, a winning triptych

My experience with the Hydra Vox is limited but from what I remember it is an excellent DAC. And of course I love the LCD-5 too. This definitely does sound like a winning trio!

Does the Grand Cen DAC pair well with the Silver Fox amplifier?

I ask this because DSD sound is very tonally saturated and round, and if the Silver Fox is lush and warm as well (as I hear it is) - it may slow down things to much....

Perhaps the Grand Cen, DAC would pair better with a more neutral amp. like the Bliss or CFA-3?

I'd appreciate some opinions.

I love the duo and don't find it to be overcooked or slow in the least.

While the DSDAC does sound great with lighter, more ethereal amplification (in my collection that would be the Musician Audio Andromeda or the Cayin HA-6A in triode mode with certain tubes), it's not so colorful that it won't also match well with a thicker, more tonally rich amplifier like the Silver Fox. Indeed they were designed to be paired and the result is exceptional.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #729 of 977
16 amps (fast blow) the last I read 🤦‍♂️💀 - it’s few pages back.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2023 at 6:22 AM Post #733 of 977
another question: Is the darkness and lushness and saturation perceived as "fuzzy" or veiled", or is it a clean saturation?
Everything about the Silver Fox is clean and dynamic. There’s nothing fuzzy or veiled about this amp. It’s not necessarily a dark sounding amp either. The Silver Fox is just very musical with a weighted, full bodied sound that some might consider warm sounding. I know some people prefer neutral sounding gear, but my experience is that neutrality doesn’t lead to musical enjoyment. Something seems to be missing from the sound. This is where the Silver Fox excels. It fills my headphones up with music that is detailed, spacious, and hard hitting. The Silver Fox is easily the best amp for my setup and sonic preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back