Celsus Sound Companion One, 32/384 USB, iOS/Android, 24/192 Wi-Fi DAC/Amplifier
Jan 29, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #17 of 60
So, it took some wrangling, but I've learned that the Companion One uses the OPA1612 for I/V conversion duties, and the AD8397 for voltage gain and current buffering. To me, this is all good news for portable users, because it signifies that the Companion One has great current delivery (it basically doesn't get any better than the AD8397) and thus will respond well to highly reactive loads, and I've never really seen an AD8397-equipped device with more than 2.5 ohms of OI (the Concero HP is at 2.2 ohms), and is often around 1 ohm or below (e.g. Schiit Fulla, which is <0.4). The AD8397 is a picky opamp that has seen both good and bad implementations, but from what I've seen of the Companion One, it can't possibly be bad. A poor implementation would result in high distortion and audible power line ripples, neither of which is manifest in the measurements nor in listening impressions.

The OPA1612 is hardly a poor choice for I/V conversion, and makes sense considering the power requirements without going fully-discrete.

Again, all this opamp selection talk should really be centered on actual board topology, and Celsus isn't talking on that end, but they keep emphasizing to me that the board has been highly optimized for the layout.

With all that, the Companion One isn't as nice sounding as my Concero HP. The HP is smoother and more velvety, while being no less detailed. That can probably be attributed to the HP's proprietary digital filters, clock control, and jitter reduction, which require an entire extra Spartan-6 FPGA to control (thus, the HP is more expensive despite having only one input and one output).

However, the Companion One possesses its own charms. It's actually more neutral-sounding overall than the HP, but never analytical. I definitely prefer its sound to that of the Sony PHA-3 (single-ended, of course). I wish I had the Pioneer XPA-700 and the Audio-Technica AT-PHA100 to compare against, as they constitute the current all-in-one DAC/amp units that have similar 32/384 decoding and are similar in price.

May 5, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #19 of 60
There were two new reviews that came out comparing OPPO HA-2 and HA-1 with Companion One.
This one is in Dutch but you can use Google translator to read: 
https://www.alpha-audio.nl/2015/05/review-celsus-companion-one-vs-oppo-ha-2/
The reviewer was surprised to find that Companion One sounded better than HA-1 that cost almost twice as much.  
The lower priced HA-2 are generally not in the same league as Companion One.  
I don't think the review in anyway put down the HA-2 and gave a lot of good points (charging capability, ease of use, smaller size) over Companion One.  But as I have mentioned before, Companion One is very good and a class above many portable DAC/amps on the market.

This review (in English) also reached the same conclusion:
http://www.hifisenses.com/portable-desktop-audio/subject-the-celsus-companion-one.html

Jul 18, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #21 of 60

​
 ​

​
 ​

Accessories

The Companion One packs four different micro-USB cables, one terminating to USB Type-A for PCs and Macs, another to the 30-pin iPod dock, a micro-USB ending for OTG use, as well as one Lightning cable. To protect the unit, Celsus Sound includes a nice, dual-compartment (one for the device, the other for storing the cables) genuine leather case, cleaning cloth, and even included a glass screen protector. The final production unit is supposed to have the USB cable adapter, originally intended to be optional, as standard equipment.

I like how they include four different cables for different devices.
(The regular USB cable is not shown here)​

iOS support works great with the iPhone 6.

​
 ​

I would love to be able to get ahold of that "Lightning to Micro-USB" cable. I have not been able to locate an equivalent. I have a number of Lightning to mini-USB - and then a mini-micro adapter - but not this exact plug....

If only this Apple one would work, it would be pretty nice -

but apparently it doesn't. Have to go CCK

I would welcome any direction for my continuing search....

Jul 27, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #22 of 60
toms, 

When you said "Over wireless, the sound feels smoother. Once I get more listening time with it, I'll have a better idea of how it performs, but overall, it does sound nice", what did you mean by that? By "smoother" do you mean better or not as good as wired?? Please elaborate on that statement if you would. 

I just purchased the Companion One and should have it by the end of this week. Can't wait! I don't really do wireless at all, but it's nice to have that feature. I think part of what keeps the majority of the public from getting into the whole "Hi-Fi/Hi-Res" world is the limitation of wires. I believe one day wireless will EQUAL wired quality (by wireless I mean Wi-Fi, not Bluetooth, though that's always possible too I guess), and then the popularity of Hi-Fi will gain momentum, hopefully. Maybe not a ton, but enough to notice. 

Thanks. 

Jul 27, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #23 of 60
Sasaki, 

You said "Companion One has two WiFi mode that is AP mode (direct mode) and the client mode. AP mode is a direct mode it allows iPhone can be directly attached to Companion One without WiFi router. Client mode is a WiFi mode which Companion One joins in existing home WiFi network." 

Does AP mode also work with Android phones, or just iPhones?? 

Does it use up data on your phone to use the AP mode (I'm guessing yes)? I mean, does that count against your data limit for the month? 

Thanks. 

Jul 27, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #24 of 60
When using the AP mode, you are using the WiFi router of the Companion One and it doesn't use your mobile phone network.
AP Mode works for Android and iOS. The DLNA on Android phone is a little tricky to use if you are new to streaming. 

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #25 of 60
jasonl, 

Very interesting. That's pretty cool that the CO has this option. Very revolutionary for a portable amp/DAC! 

Sony has LDAC, but that's just for tripling the bandwidth of Bluetooth. Even that doesn't come close to what streaming via a Wi-Fi network brings to the table. I'm sure the sound quality benefits significantly from this since Bluetooth probably compresses the sound a lot more than Wi-Fi does. 

But if someone with the CO is out in a forest area at say, a picnic, would they still be able to stream music to a Wi-Fi-enabled speaker or headphones without the use of a Hot Spot, or no? I think the answer is yes, but not sure. 

Thanks for replying! 

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #26 of 60

Yes, it creates its own WiFi network since there is a built in router. This is mainly for headphone use or active speaker that is connected to Celsus.
If you have a WiFi speaker, there is no need for Companion One as you would stream directly from the smartphone to the speaker.  

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #27 of 60
jasonl, 

Ahh very nice!! But if the speaker or headphones are Bluetooth only (no WiFi), how would they connect to the Celsus then? I thought it didn't have Bluetooth, only Wi-Fi?

Well, I'd still wanna use it even if I did have a Wi-Fi speaker b/c of the DAC. Especially since it has such a great battery life (10 hours wired, so I'm guessing 7-8 on Wi-Fi??). 

Thanks.

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #28 of 60

You would connect the (wifi or bluetooth speakers are active meaning it has power amp) active speaker to the line out from Companion One, provided that your speaker has line in (they should have).

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #29 of 60
jasonl, 

Oh ok. I don't have much experience with the wireless stuff since I only really use wired, but good to know! Man I can't wait FOR mine to show (prob Thurs or Fri is my guess)!! lol Plus the last 3 Zep album remasters get released on Friday in Hi-Res too! I'm gonna have a TON to listen to!! lol I've bought all the previous Hi-Res remasters already and they sound INCREDIBLE! Makes my old mp3 and even CD versions sound like a joke. lol But I'm gonna relisten to all of them again on my CO for sure. My last player was the Sony Walkman A17, which was fantastic already, but from everything I've read on the CO, it sounds like it's gonna take things to the next level. 
gs1000.gif

Thanks! 

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #30 of 60
All, 

I've had a chance now over the last week to try out the Companion One, and I am VERY happy with its capabilities, design, and looks! It definitely sounds as great as the reviews all say it does, and is very easy to use too. I only use the USB connection to my Android phone (Sony Xperia Z3), and have not tried out the Hi-Def Wi-Fi streaming yet. I only wish there were more headphones that did Wi-Fi instead of just Bluetooth. Oh well. I use a wired connection anyway to my headphones. 

I tried the CO out on several Hi-Res tracks and even some mp3 & CD tracks, and it always made everything sound fantastic, but of course the Hi-Res tracks were the ones that really stood out! Using Poweramp on my Z3, with a modified EQ setting I came up with myself (using the "Rock" preset as a starting point), everything sounded as crisp & detailed as one would expect (and more) from such a device. It really is a winner by all standards! 

My ONLY issue with the CO is in handling it. It is a very beautiful yet slightly bulky & somewhat slippery device, and to be honest, I'm always a little worried I'm gonna drop it whenever I'm holding it! lol I'm sure with its metal body it could take a drop or two, but still, that doesn't mean I want it to happen. Jason, PLEASE consider finding a way to make a snap-on case for this device, like what is used on a smartphone. Something along the lines of what Spigen or Rearth (the 2 best smartphone case makers IMHO) are doing, with plenty of attention to detail and a case that offers LOTS of protection! The button cutouts would be precisely cut by only the highest of standards, etc. CLEAR Ultra Hybrid cases would be ideal too. Perhaps you can get in touch with them or else design your own? The ONLY reason I'd ever consider returning the CO is b/c of the case issue. The travel case is very high-class (I like the magnet locks), but doesn't work well when you're actually USING the CO. 

I'm coming from the Sony Walkman NWZ-A17, and I still think that's a great device. But I really wanted to go back to just having ONE player instead of 2 (and not having to MANAGE/UPDATE/MAINTAIN 2 as well), and after much research, the CO was clearly the best choice. I really looked hard at the Oppo HA-2, as that does have a sleeker body design, but the reviews I'd read all said the CO had the advantage when it came to sound quality, though it was close. But it was the one review that Jason provided that got my attention which said that the CO sounded better than the Oppo HA-1, which is DOUBLE the price at $1199! That's just crazy, but GOOD crazy. lol I'd be willing to bet it even sounds better than the $1200 Sony Walkman too? I already saw one review saying it bested the Sony PHA-3 amp/DAC, and that one goes for $999! It's pretty amazing if you ask me. 

Now that Led Zeppelin has finished re-releasing all their newly remastered original albums in Hi-Res (and I've acquired them all too), I've already started listening to the first album and plan to go all the way through to the last non-stop over the next week or so. I'm already on the third album actually. And I've been doing this all on my CO..........while thoroughly enjoying EVERY minute of it! It is a FANTASTIC device!!

Note: If anyone would like a good "female to male USB extension OTG cable" that works with the CO, I found this one on Amazon, though it wasn't easy. I can attest to it DEFINITELY working though on Android phones, at least as my Z3 is Android-based. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back