Celsus Sound Companion One, 32/384 USB, iOS/Android, 24/192 Wi-Fi DAC/Amplifier
Feb 25, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #46 of 60
Where did you order from? I have been eyeing this for a while and see that Sonic Unity http://www.sonicunity.com/collections/celsus-sound has them for $399 and am ready to pull the trigger, but cannot find any customer reviews for them.

Mar 3, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #48 of 60
Oct 4, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #52 of 60
I am happy with the Companion One. The main reason I opted for it is the built in wireless access point and the optical out. My two primary uses are in the office with headphones (I have the AKG K550) and in one of my vehicles with an extensive audio system including an Alpine PRA-H400 Digital Time/Frequency Processor with optical input. I wanted the ap to use with airplay so I didn't have to plug/unplug my phone every time I left my desk and the portability (battery) of the unit makes it more convenient in the car where I was using an airport express which would have to reboot every time I made a quick stop at a gas station or something.

The negative is the range of the ap, at best it is six feet and sometimes even has trouble at a couple of feet, not a reel problem for my use as I set my phone right by it. I also don't like that it doesn't remember what mode you had it in so it always boots up for a cable connection, meaning an extra press and hold for a few seconds of a second button after every power up.

As others have mentioned it is a nice looking unit with solid build quality. The AKG-K550's have a high sensitivity so I always use the unit with the gain setting on low, I may get close to max volume for that range at times bet never felt the need to set to high gain. Haven't had a problem with battery life yet, a lot of times it is on for 6 - 8 hours though maybe only playing 4 or so.

Oct 4, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #53 of 60
  I am happy with the Companion One. The main reason I opted for it is the built in wireless access point and the optical out. My two primary uses are in the office with headphones (I have the AKG K550) and in one of my vehicles with an extensive audio system including an Alpine PRA-H400 Digital Time/Frequency Processor with optical input. I wanted the ap to use with airplay so I didn't have to plug/unplug my phone every time I left my desk and the portability (battery) of the unit makes it more convenient in the car where I was using an airport express which would have to reboot every time I made a quick stop at a gas station or something.

The negative is the range of the ap, at best it is six feet and sometimes even has trouble at a couple of feet, not a reel problem for my use as I set my phone right by it. I also don't like that it doesn't remember what mode you had it in so it always boots up for a cable connection, meaning an extra press and hold for a few seconds of a second button after every power up.

As others have mentioned it is a nice looking unit with solid build quality. The AKG-K550's have a high sensitivity so I always use the unit with the gain setting on low, I may get close to max volume for that range at times bet never felt the need to set to high gain. Haven't had a problem with battery life yet, a lot of times it is on for 6 - 8 hours though maybe only playing 4 or so.

It looks like you have a good use for it with it's wireless function and portability.

I need it for the portability and the ability to be able to use it easily while laying in bed. 

Can't wait to get to try it.

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #55 of 60
We discontinue this model because everyone now ask for WiFi audio that works with online streaming services. As a headphone amp and DAC, Companion One is exceptionally good.  We have some stocks where the leather pouch got mold and the Companion One ended up smelling bad. May be we will sell those for cheap after we get rid of the mold smell.

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #57 of 60
Are you using it connected to another WiFi network or as an access point? If using as an access point the range is poor, at best 8 ft, but in reality for uninterrupted only a couple of feet. I would use it on my desk at work with the phone setting right next to it. Worked good with the benefit over a wired connection as I could easily grab the phone if I needed to jump up for a meeting or something.

Mar 2, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #58 of 60
  Are you using it connected to another WiFi network or as an access point? If using as an access point the range is poor, at best 8 ft, but in reality for uninterrupted only a couple of feet. I would use it on my desk at work with the phone setting right next to it. Worked good with the benefit over a wired connection as I could easily grab the phone if I needed to jump up for a meeting or something.

I've tried it both ways and there are clicks and pops. I am within inches in either case. If I hit pause on the music, there is a low level noise - I think it is RFI from the WiFi...

Mar 4, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #59 of 60
Are you using Apple Airplay (iOS Device) or DLNA (Android Device)? I am primarily using Airplay, though I did try  out DLNA a bit with similar performance. I specifically listened for noise with the music on pause and it was very low.

If I remember correctly you can change the WiFi channel which may help. Also, have you tried using it in different locations (home, work, outside, etc.) to narrow down if it is related to interference from other rf devices.

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #60 of 60
Airplay. Yes, went outside. The noise is down about 30 to 40db, which is fine with regular music... sounds WAY better than bluetooth, but with spoken word it sounds like a dentist's drill whenever there is a pause.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back