Cell Phones and Portable Amps...
Aug 10, 2006 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

GIGANTOID

100+ Head-Fier
Can we discuss this? I have a hornet and a Nokia 6030. And am being driven batty with the interference when the phone rings or the random checks out for signal etc.

Anyone have this problem? Anyone do anything about it? Do you have a cellphone that doesn't seem to cause this problem?

5G ipod > Sendstation Pocket Dock > HR minitomini > Hornet

Aug 11, 2006 at 11:19 AM Post #2 of 8
Hrm, I must be the only one experiencing this issue.
plainface.gif

Aug 12, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 8
I too experienced this problem, sounded like someone was sending morse code to me. Thought that it was a problem with my Total Airhead, soon discovered the culprit.
I carry my ipod and amp in a lab coat , left pocket ( while I'm at work ) that rests right on top of my cell phone. I just moved the cell to my right side and the problem seems to have vanished.
First post
580smile.gif

Have enjoyed lurking, thought that I would join in... lots of great info here.
btbill

Aug 12, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #5 of 8
It sounds like a proximity issue then. I had my cell charging all day instead of a foot away from my portables and had no issues. Now I just gotta find the specific range for this cell phone and hornet.
wink.gif

Aug 12, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #6 of 8
You guys know that a cell phone is really a two way radio, right? It emits up to 0.25W to stay in touch with cell towers. Your amp/iPod/etc. can pick up the transmissions on their wires, just like an antenna. Actually, as an antenna. You're hearing a little RF hash as the cell stays in touch with the tower.

The good news is that cells use a higher part of the spectrum that relies mostly on line-of-sight propagation. That's why when btbill switched pockets, the interference stopped. That's a good way to stop it. Shielded cables can help, as well. Anything else [e.g. putting the amp into a steel box, etc.] would probably be too cumbersome or would keep your cell phone from working.

Aug 12, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #7 of 8
You people have nothing to complain about cell phone interference...

You should see what My I930 gets into..anything that ampifies something (tv,amps,car radio,other nextel users,even your own phone sometimes)

dont believe me then ask any Nextel phone owner..

then again its not all that bad cause I can save phone battery by switching the vib and ringer off and just know when I am getting a call when I hear the interference threw the radio..

speaking of which I am about to get a call now, weird
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back