Cell phone
Dec 29, 2004 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dougmwpsu

100+ Head-Fier
I’ve been holding off a lot longer than I should of, but I’ve finally decided that I can’t live any longer without a cell phone. I have no idea what brand phones/services are supposed to be the best/cheapest. If any of you have any advice or tips on buying one and getting a plan, I’d be much appreciative.

Dec 29, 2004 at 12:39 PM Post #2 of 7
First of all, it's mostly about the service, not the phone (mostly). And no service is best everywhere. Talk to friends and ask what they use, and what their experience has been. Ask about dropped calls, no-service areas (dead zones), and about the companies customer service.

Once you've narrowed the service provider down, then do Internet searches for reviews for the best phone they sell (the "same" phone may be different inside when sold under different service providers). For me, the most important criteria are 1.) reception (this will vary by phone under the same service), 2.) battery life, & 3.) voice quality (in both directions). Color screens, camera, etc. are waaaay down the list as important features (again, for me). You can pick and choose what you need most.

Dec 29, 2004 at 12:48 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by dougmwpsu
I’ve been holding off a lot longer than I should of, but I’ve finally decided that I can’t live any longer without a cell phone.

I think it's funny how people feel they "can't live without" their cell phone, yet we as a society got along just fine without them for decades. I'm not picking on you, but your statement reminded me of how ridiculous the whole cellular phone industry has become. 10 year old kids have their own cell phones, for Pete's sake. I've had 3 or 4 different phones/plans but I don't currently have one because I rarely used it when I did.

Nowadays it's not enough to just have a cell phone. You have to have one that takes pictures, plays games, browses the internet, and cooks you breakfast, or you're not "in." Then sell it in a few months for the newest, coolest model.

My advice is don't just go with the cheapest plan. Ask around and inquire about which provider offers the best service in your area. You'll eventually find one with the right combination of service, features, minutes, and reception quality. It varies so much by area...you can't just say "Sprint sucks" or "Verizon is the best" because it simply depends on the particular region you are in.

Dec 29, 2004 at 8:28 PM Post #5 of 7
Check out the Virgin plan if you're on the east coast. Great coverage, no roaming, good price.

Edit: I should have noted its aimed at the casual user (like me) looking for a pay-as-you-go plan. If you're the chatty type, better to get a real plan. Once you hit 40, a minute or two on the phone with your wife is plenty.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 30, 2004 at 4:34 AM Post #7 of 7
1) Area is important - if you cannot get service in your stomping grounds, your cellphone is useless. Ask people about their opinions about coverage. Take note where they can use their cellphones (ie: in the elevator, in the shopping mall, driving down a freeway, six feet under in a coffin, etc...).
2) Service is important too. I had too many friends jumping from plan to plan because they couldn't anticipate their needs and usually a computer glitch ends up burning them at the end of the month with a huge bill. Study the plans carefully and the terms of the contract too so you don't get burned.
3) I personally think its best to go to the store and bargain with them. Sometimes the sales people can give you a contract that fit your needs better than the generic plans displayed at the corporate web site. But don't ignore the web sites either.
4) Get a good phone that meet your needs. My friends who get the free phone usually regret it later because it doesn't have enough features, the reception sucks, or they continuously break. In my experience, the most expensive phones are usually filled with software bugs because they are fitted with latest and greatest gadgets.

Here is one web site that reviews phones and have a large web forum about cellphone models, wireless providers, and cellphone hacking:

http://www.howardchui.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back