Cell phone salesman = best singer....ever...
Jun 15, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #16 of 28
Saw this earlier today on frontpage Yahoo (while Head-Fi was still down). Gave me mad chills, it rivals the America's Got Talent's Quick Change Artists.

Jun 15, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #17 of 28
Here is the guy singing in the semi-finals of the competition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDB9zwlXrB8

Another amazing performance from such a talented guy.

Edit: Just found his competition - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En0A8KGMgq8

In theory she did not sing the hardest song in the world, but such perfect pitch and timing in front of a studio audience at the age of 6...wow!

Double Edit: Found another great talent from the competition http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZpjYd0sTT0

It's just plain fun to watch!

Jun 15, 2007 at 8:03 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was his first public performence dude..question is..
how do you compare?
rolleyes.gif

I don't think you should compare someone like Pavarotti with this guy. Like I said he did an amazing job and the Nessun Dorma is not something most people will ever be able to do. Nessun Dorma is the song which made Pavarotti world famous and for a good reason.

I also think that the fact that no one expected this from a cell phone salesman. He doesn't look like he is going to do something like that. That's the amazing part in my opinion.

Jun 15, 2007 at 9:20 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think you should compare someone like Pavarotti with this guy. Like I said he did an amazing job and the Nessun Dorma is not something most people will ever be able to do. Nessun Dorma is the song which made Pavarotti world famous and for a good reason.

I also think that the fact that no one expected this from a cell phone salesman. He doesn't look like he is going to do something like that. That's the amazing part in my opinion.

I or no one was really comparing him to the Great Pava, I think you first mentioned him in this thread..comparing Anybody to Pava is almost a guarantee "I don't think you should compare someone like Pavarotti with this guy".

Has this guy even been trained? Think its to late in his life to be trained? i always believed to be a true Opera singer you must start at a very very early age...i am asking your opinion.
I agree with the second part of your reply, regardless I would not mind hearing more of him in the future..maybe you to?

Jun 15, 2007 at 11:17 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Has this guy even been trained? Think its to late in his life to be trained? i always believed to be a true Opera singer you must start at a very very early age...i am asking your opinion.
I agree with the second part of your reply, regardless I would not mind hearing more of him in the future..maybe you to?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Potts

The internet is even faster than I can post a reply here.
biggrin.gif
He even took part in master classes with Pavarotti so he did indeed get training. I don't think I have ever seen anyone singing Nessun Dorma that well without getting training actually.

I think you will never be able to become a singer without some kind of musical background. I am speaking partially of my own experience with this although I am more on the level of Kurt Cobain and to be honest I don't even compare to that.

I surely would like to hear from him again and I sure hope he wins. I think he has got the potential of being a professional singer and I think he could get better even though he might not be the youngest any more.

I think that this proves part of the point I have been taking for the last few years wrong. I thought that it didn't really matter any more how good you are when it comes to music and becoming popular because of it. I guess I was wrong about that for so much that there are enough people who do actually like good music instead of most the rubbish you see in the charts these days. (not saying that all of it is mind you)

I hope that a lot of people will start realizing that there are some masterpieces out there and that this will make Opera more popular with a larger crowd.

P.S. I don't even want to know how many spelling and grammar errors I made in this post, so I am going to search for that addon that check such things.
blink.gif
I am sorry for the possible inconvenience.

Jun 16, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

I or no one was really comparing him to the Great Pava, I think you first mentioned him in this thread..comparing Anybody to Pava is almost a guarantee "I don't think you should compare someone like Pavarotti with this guy".

Pava is great that is no question, but there is something about him that just throws me off, just watching him sing it looks like he has that "divo" attitude that really gets on my nerves, and it just looks like he has now emotion, unlike Paul who really just seems like a good guy. And the clips are all the better knowing that people cheering him makes him the happiest person in the world because he has had self confidence issues all his life, thats why he should win this competition, plus I think the queen would love him, because I would say the adorable impact of a 6 year old is somewhat lost on her by now.

Jun 25, 2007 at 7:56 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Advil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well he won the competition... hooray!

Yay! I was just about to ask that. He totally deserved that.

It makes me really happy to see someone singing opera beat all of the clee-shay (spelling :O) pop singers that dominate this competition. If that was America, he would have been ridiculed and laughed it. I'm so glad it wasn't.

The only other person I've seen on one of these types of programs that comes even CLOSE to him is Melinda Doolittle from Season 6 of American Idol. In a way, I'm glad she didn't win because if she did she would probably end up as 'that person who won american idol' like every other winner (apart from Kelly Clarkson). I just hope that a recording company grabs her and makes some CD's.

Hopefully this guy will start a career in opera as well.

Jun 25, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my speakers are lousy but he seemed to lack range to me, but i could easily be mistaken

Indeed.....I don't know how some can be so critical of a music performance on youtube. I don't get the same chills in recordings such as this when it's compressed video: the albums of Bream and Williams can give me goosebumps. Sound quality is terrible on the net, and not indicative of their recordings.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1i_2...elated&search=

As far as Pavarotti, I do think he's the most over-rated singer. He's good, but not more outstanding then other professional opera singers.

I'm just floored that there's an amateur who's into opera and would go on one of these pop talent shows. Good for Britian for voting him the winner. He certainly deserves more attention and success then the Clay Akins of the world
rolleyes.gif

Jun 25, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #28 of 28
That show is lucky to have a guy like that come on. That was amazing compared to what you would normally see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back