Cell phone newbie questions
Aug 9, 2008 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

infinitesymphony

Headphoneus Supremus
Admission time... I've never owned a cell phone. Okay, not true, I have a pre-paid TracPhone that is only used for emergencies. But now it's time to join the real world and purchase a dedicated phone and a phone plan, so I have some questions:

1.) Does a cell provider's phone selection matter? It would be cheaper to buy a phone with a plan, but I might have a larger selection if I bought the phone separately, if that's possible.

2.) If I buy the phone outside of a plan, is it still cheaper to take a long contract versus a month-to-month?

3.) How much should I expect to pay for unlimited voice (or unlimited nights/weekends) and text? Are GPS options worthwhile?

Thanks for helping this total cell phone newb.
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 11, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #2 of 8
1) To most of us it does,yes,maybe.
2)Long contracts sometimes offer better deals such as free phone.
3)That can vary widely due to so many different plans,I think so.

Aug 12, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 8
1.) Does a cell provider's phone selection matter? It would be cheaper to buy a phone with a plan, but I might have a larger selection if I bought the phone separately, if that's possible.
Where I live, every company has their own selection of phones it seems. Sadly, the best phones are with the worst company here
angry_face.gif
There will always be a larger selection if you buy the phone seperatly since some phones are unavailable in places. (Theres like...30 different phones at my mall...such a small selection)

2.) If I buy the phone outside of a plan, is it still cheaper to take a long contract versus a month-to-month?

Well...I guess this would be up to you to calculate since I don't know the rates where you live. I get unlimited texting, internet and nights/weekend calling for $40 a month incl. fees and caller ID/Voicemail. I believe you would have to take into consideration how often you would use the phone also. If you need it for emergencies only, I'm pretty sure a monthly plan or even pre-paid minutes would suffice.

3.) How much should I expect to pay for unlimited voice (or unlimited nights/weekends) and text? Are GPS options worthwhile?

Again, really should look into your local, regional etc providers. I feel GPS is very handy if you expect to travel a lot, otherwise just check quickly at home (Or if you are prone to getting lost
tongue_smile.gif
)

Aug 12, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the responses! My selection is narrowing. Unlimited nights/weekends probably would be enough (versus unlimited anytime), since I work during the day and have a company phone for that purpose. Now I just have to decide on a phone and a provider for personal use.
biggrin.gif

Aug 12, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #5 of 8
I was a holdout like you. I didn't get a cell phone until the iPhone was released.

I find that with the standard iPhone contract, I never even come close to using up the minutes. They rollover and accumulate so I never have to think about the time. You might chat on the phone more than I do, but I would bet as a cell phone hold out, you use the phone like me- just to make calls, not to have extended visits with people.

I find that the location functions in the iPhone are extremely useful, and the ability to run apps from the Apple App Store makes it much more than a phone. I don't need to haul around my laptop and search for a wifi point to surf the web or check my email.

Now, I'm happier with my cell phone than I am with my land line (damn telemarketers!)

See ya
Steve

Aug 12, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #6 of 8
I was a longtime holdout, too. About three years ago, my family had an "intervention" style meeting and beat me into getting a cell. Really, they did. I got the original RAZR, which was easy to carry and I came to like. The interface was a horror - I just punched in numbers I had memorized.

Went for the iPhone last year and got the 3G about an hour ago.
smily_headphones1.gif
If it interests you, check them out. It's the best interface I've seen and the App Store adds more functionality than just about anything else.

I'd recommend the cheapest plan available. Be sure to ask for ALL plans, not just the two or three they have on promotion. There is often a plan or two below the ones the salesman tells you about, so be sure to ask. If you find yourself going over, you can always change plans. They'll let you upgrade any time you want.

Aug 18, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #7 of 8
go for something thin and light.

call prices and so forth depend on ur usuage pattern...

if your first and if its expensive consider insurance

Aug 19, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #8 of 8
the thing with cell phones, is that after a while you drop your home line and only use the cell phone, so in that case you might start to use up your minutes faster. also the phone you get probably wont matter that much since itll be your first one. head over to a store and try and see what seems intuitive for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back