Cell Phone as a DAP
Jun 2, 2009 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Kvakac

New Head-Fier
Hi
I want to buy a phone with best possible SQ to use it as a DAP. I am sick of carrying cell phone and mp3 player and not hearing the phone ringing while listening to music. I want it to be a good DAP as a priority, phone with basic functions with calendar/organizer.
Any recommendations ?
Thanks

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple iPhone 3G...

No.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EEXO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, definately iPhone 3G

No.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another vote for the iPhone 3G.

No.

I believe the next gen iPhone will be announced on or about June 8, 2009.

You're going to want to wait.

I'm not bashing - there's a 3G in my pocket! I'll be upgrading to the new model shortly.
smily_headphones1.gif
So hang on for a week and you'll probably decide the new one is better.

Oh, and the 3G makes for a great DAP, but the next gen will have twice the storage or more.

Jun 3, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #7 of 20
There are alternatives to an iPhone. You can buy a phone with Windows Mobile operating system. Then you can use one of several software players available. It comes with Windows Media Player. And there are a few good freeware players also. But the best applications are not free. Pocket Player, Pocket Music, Coreplayer, Pocket Tunes are all good titles with many options and good codec support. The best player is only available to US citizens: Phantasmx from 40th Floor. This has several audiophile class effects (xfeed, EQ and reverb), perfect gapless playback, it is fast, compact etc.

Jun 3, 2009 at 10:38 AM Post #8 of 20
As I mentioned in another thread, the Blackberry Bold smokes everything else I've heard as far as using a cell as DAP is concerned, sq-wise. That includes Nokia's, SE's, LG's, and the iPhone, both generations. By a long shot.

The Bold's media player is simple but efficient enough, and of course one can create playlists on the go. It's a great DAP as far as I'm concerned.

All IMO of course.

Jun 3, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #9 of 20
Sony ericsson XPERIA!!!

SQ wise it beats the most DAPs out there, wery loud excelent phone and loads of apps availlable...
I love the phone and with px100 makes my best portable rig so far!
it is the only player on which I never bother to play with EQ becouse the sound is soooo goood
smily_headphones1.gif

and you can post @ Head Fi as you listen to your tunes
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by icediz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony ericsson XPERIA!!!

SQ wise it beats the most DAPs out there, wery loud excelent phone and loads of apps availlable...
I love the phone and with px100 makes my best portable rig so far!
it is the only player on which I never bother to play with EQ becouse the sound is soooo goood
smily_headphones1.gif

and you can post @ Head Fi as you listen to your tunes
smily_headphones1.gif

I use the Xperia, but couldn't recommend it above it any of the DAPs I own (iHP140, i7) or son's 1st gen Clix.

Granted, it plays loud, sounds warm and it is quite good to use in noisy environments - I prefer it for listening to radio on my way to and while attending football matches.

Jun 4, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #11 of 20
iphone 3G is great sounding and has a good lineout if you want to amp (something the bold doesnt have) plus its other functions smoke the bold. the email client is really great as is safari. and the appstore means you have thousands of software titles to choose from as well as great games and one of the nicest looking screens for playing movies. the new ones will be even better, so cant wait for that.

Jun 4, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #12 of 20
If sound quality is your highest priority then you should consider the Sony Ericsson W995. It should come out this month and from the reviews I have read is considered to have the best sq from a phone and rivaling that of the sony walkman dap. I don't think you can go wrong with the iphone either, which I think has a good sq for a phone and certainly has better sq than 99% of the phones out there.

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #13 of 20
I've heard the N91 sounds good, but it's outdated.

Anyone know how the Serenata sounds?

I second bonkon's post.

Jun 4, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #14 of 20
I have a iPod Touch at the moment and I have had always Nokia as a phone, so iPhone sounds like a sensible "joining". I do not text that much so Blackerry is not really for me, but the SE W995 looks great and I will consider it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back