Celebrities in the news - does anybody really care?
Jun 1, 2007 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

MetalManCPA

500+ Head-Fier
Lindsay Lohan & Britney Spears have been plastered all over the news for their recent escapades.
Alex Rodrigues hangs out with strippers.
I'm not sure how much more Rosie news I can stand.
And how does a TV show (ie: American Idol) seem to consistantly make the news, and not just entertainment news, but in the actual news?

I find it almost humerous when I turn on the 6 o'clock news, and a celebrity makes it as a top-line news story. Some of the celebrity news is a legitamite story depending on circumstances. For instance, Don Imus making comments considered racist in this day and age will get news. Most sport celebrity stories belong with sports, yet I do think that Michael Vick supposedly being involved in the illegal dog fighting industry is news. But do I care that Britney Spears wasn't wearing any underwear and somebody got a picture of it?

Just wondering how you in general feel about otherwise useless celebrity news.

Jun 1, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 14
I actually HATE it. Who cares what they do. It is always the same story. Don't understand why so many people look up the stars anyways. They have their qualities ofcourse (some in a very hidden way) but as a person......I doubt it.

Jun 1, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #5 of 14
The human organism always worships. First it was the Gods, then it was fame, the observation and judgement of others. Next it will be the self-aware systems you have built to realize truly omnipresent observation and judgement.

Jun 1, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 14
You mis-spelled "judgment," Duggeh.
tongue.gif

Jun 1, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #8 of 14
I couldn't care less.

I stopped watching the news and reading the newspaper 19 years ago.

Couldn't care less about celerbities and sports figures who are criminals, yet America still places them on a pedestal. Makes me sick.
It's too depressing.
Often times too boring.
Couldn't care less about my local news where the 5th grade class came in 3rd place for refrigerator art, nor do I give a s*** about the worlds largest ball of twine.

If there is any real and pertinent news I need to know about, I'll hear about it.

Jun 2, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The human organism always worships. First it was the Gods, then it was fame, the observation and judgement of others. Next it will be the self-aware systems you have built to realize truly omnipresent observation and judgement.

I worship shovels.

Jun 2, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #14 of 14
It's pretty downright scary. I was looking at photojournalism as a career, mostly wanted to be a war corrispondent. It doesn't sell, so it may be a side job for summer trips. PBS.org /frontline has a mini series on the current media situation. Not too bad, gives a pretty good explanation on why your seeing what you do on the television/newspaper. I agree with alternative press, however with so many spins, it's a lot of information to swim through in order to get a well rounded idea on whats going on. I figure the truth is somewhere between the drudge report and the onion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back