Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
Great post Earl!!!

Thanks for the compliment.
redface.gif

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #32 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
Neutral is such a vague a term I dont know how you decipher what this would mean to you ... I am not even sure what it means to me.

I guess “Most neutral” is the key word here.
From all the variables, from the acoustic space, mics, cables, engineering preferences in the recording, playback equipment, the Amp is probably the instrument that can be designed to be the most neutral. But then the components that make up the amp to even produce that perfect square wave with the correct harmonics and over tones are also variable.
The biggest variance from neutral, are the headphones and probably our own ears.
Live music is defiantly the reference, and if we can get as close as possible to that, hopefully everything thing else will follow

It all boils down to compromise and I see myself drifting toward the GS-1 although I have not cut out completely the Lehmann.

Thanks for your insight

Mar 7, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #33 of 35
'it is neutral'
'If your cans are neutral as well, it may be too cold and sterile as was my impression.'
according to that: neutral + neutral = cold & sterile.

that makes no sense to me. so actually cold must = freezing? lol
also, i dunno how anyone could say hp1 have no balls, assuming that is what you are referring to when you say it's 'sterile'.

the gilmore v2 is neutral; can't comment on the gs-1, what ever else people tell you, they are just hearing what their upstream really sounds like... keep that in mind.

Mar 8, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #34 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda
'it is neutral'
'If your cans are neutral as well, it may be too cold and sterile as was my impression.'

also, i dunno how anyone could say hp1 have no balls, assuming that is what you are referring to when you say it's 'sterile'.

the gilmore v2 is neutral; can't comment on the gs-1, what ever else people tell you, they are just hearing what their upstream really sounds like... keep that in mind.

Actually neutral should be neutral, neither cold nor sterile, nor warm and cozy.
Once that's establishedt I could for instance put on the Senns to warm things up, the Grados to bring on some light and the AKG's to step back for awhile.

Mar 8, 2006 at 1:43 AM Post #35 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda
'it is neutral'

By cold/sterile I mean lifeless. The music is there but it's like the soul was sucked out of it. That is exactly what the GS1+Hp1000 sounds like. Souless, uninviting, and absolutely bass shy.

The HP1 had plenty of balls when paired with my maxxed out MPX3 slam. The GS1 just did not bring out the best in them. Seperately they may be fantastic, but together...not so much.

Many, including myself, will tell you that the Hp1000 are bass shy. The bass they have is tight, but you just can't feel it. Sometimes is too tight, like it just won't go as low or as deep as you might like.

To help iron what I perceived to be a problem, I moved to a warmer, bassier amp.

I don't know why I keep replying to your posts. Our tastes are obviously quite different. You find the HP1 to be too bassy, which I find preposterous. But hey, different strokes for different folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back