CEC HD53R or Headamp GS-1
Mar 3, 2006 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Rob80b

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 29, 2003
Posts
2,149
Likes
918
Location
Toronto, Ontario
Still trying to make an educated decision here.
Started with this thread
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...hlight=lehmann

Doing my homework on the different amp philosophies.
The Headamp GS-1, http://www.headamp.com/home_amps/gs1/
I assume it is derived from here? http://www.headwize.com/projects/sho...lmore3_prj.htm

The CEC HD53 http://www.headphoneclub.net/pages/images/hd53.html pricked my interest awhile back, it’s now the HD53Rwith differences shown here with translation
http://translate.google.com/translat...lr%3D%26sa%3DG

Both the GS-1 and HD53R are discrete Class A from what I understand, so I’ll try to concentrate on those two for the time being.
The Gilmore has been well received here on the forums so I can take sort of take a decision from there and the HD53 I will be able to audition next week.

The Lehmann looks good also, although it is opamp based on the input stage but discrete Class A on the output stage.

I’ll continue to do my research but it all comes down to sound and the ability to drive AKG’s to Grado’s.
 
Mar 4, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 35

akwok

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 16, 2005
Posts
4,368
Likes
13
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda
the gilmore is the best solid state amp you can get bar none. it was designed with grado hp-1 but also works very well with rs-1.


Uhh, the GS-1 + HP-1 combo totally sucks I thought?
confused.gif
 
Mar 4, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #4 of 35

Piotr Ryka

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 23, 2005
Posts
532
Likes
18
I have heard C.E.C. 53 (with Meridian G8, Grado RS-1 and XLO Limited xlr IC) and I can tell You - it is nothing special. Best thing You can get for similar money is Cayin HA-1A, I suppose.
 
Mar 5, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #6 of 35

Piotr Ryka

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 23, 2005
Posts
532
Likes
18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob80b
Ok, so we have "I suppose" and "I thought".
I'm leaning toward the GS-1 so far, looks like a nice, well thought out amp.
This week, time permitting I'll borrow the CEC HD53 for a few days and report back.



Try also Graham Slee Solo with PSU.
 
Mar 5, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #7 of 35

Rob80b

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 29, 2003
Posts
2,149
Likes
918
Location
Toronto, Ontario
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Ryka
Try also Graham Slee Solo with PSU.


The same dealer has the Graham Slee, but the import costs put it out of reach,
I believe around $1300 Canadian plus gst/pst with the PSU.
The CEC HD53 is around $500 +-Canadian, the is GS-1 $749 + $35 shipping US ($885.00 Can.) and I've seen the Lehmann as low as $699.00 US.
There are a lot of good amps out there and some offer a 14-30 day trial but it's a hassle returning things cross border.
 
Mar 5, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #8 of 35

Piotr Ryka

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 23, 2005
Posts
532
Likes
18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob80b
The same dealer has the Graham Slee, but the import costs put it out of reach,
I believe around $1300 Canadian plus gst/pst with the PSU.
The CEC HD53 is around $500 +-Canadian, the is GS-1 $749 + $35 shipping US ($885.00 Can.) and I've seen the Lehmann as low as $699.00 US.
There are a lot of good amps out there and some offer a 14-30 day trial but it's a hassle returning things cross border.



Strange World. Here, in Poland, C.E.C.HD53 is more expensive than Graham with PSU.
I wish You succesful fishing.
 
Mar 6, 2006 at 2:38 PM Post #11 of 35

sacd lover

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 31, 2002
Posts
8,190
Likes
33
The GS-1 is probably my favorite solid state amp. The amp sounds particularly good with the AKG 701 and the Senn 600/ cardas in my setup. I also like the amp with the Grado SR-225 and the Beyer DT880. The GS-1 is very versatile and mates up well with about any headphone I have tried. I dont see how you can go wrong with a GS-1.
smily_headphones1.gif
 
Mar 6, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #12 of 35

cosmopragma

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 30, 2003
Posts
3,091
Likes
11
Location
Germany
The newest CEC HD 53 R V8 is a very good amp IMO.
Finally.
The older HD 53s and HD 51s had some design flaws (no adjustable gain, crappy pot etc.) and should be avoided, but the latest incarnation is one of the best amps I ever had the opportunity to listen to.
In the end it's a question of personal preference.I've compared the amps you mentioned directly.For $500 I would purchase the CEC (if it's at least a HD 53 R, I doubt it's the slightly better V8).Unfortunately the CECs are far more expensive in Germany.
 
Mar 6, 2006 at 3:01 PM Post #13 of 35

elnero

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 24, 2002
Posts
6,132
Likes
567
Location
Prince Edward Island, Canada
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
The GS-1 is probably my favorite solid state amp. The amp sounds particularly good with the AKG 701 and the Senn 600/ cardas in my setup. I also like the amp with the Grado SR-225 and the Beyer DT880. The GS-1 is very versatile and mates up well with about any headphone I have tried. I dont see how you can go wrong with a GS-1.
smily_headphones1.gif



Seconded, although I don't have that much experience with many different headphones and the GS-1. It is a great sounding amp though, detailed yet smooth and effortless. Add to that it is extremely versatile with it's dual inputs/outputs, high/low gain switch, loop and pre outs and swappable amp modules when Justin has new ones available which from what I understand may be soon and you have one amp that's going to be pretty hard to be for it's asking price and beyond for that matter.
 
Mar 6, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #14 of 35

A.Thorsen

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 26, 2006
Posts
690
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
Seconded, although I don't have that much experience with many different headphones and the GS-1. It is a great sounding amp though, detailed yet smooth and effortless. Add to that it is extremely versatile with it's dual inputs/outputs, high/low gain switch, loop and pre outs and swappable amp modules when Justin has new ones available which from what I understand may be soon and you have one amp that's going to be pretty hard to be for it's asking price and beyond for that matter.



I think you all have pretty much sold me on a Gs-1 at some point. SACD Lover has been quite gracious and patient over PM answering a ton of my questions.
smily_headphones1.gif


The GS-X looks amazing, but probably overkill for my needs.

Does anyone have any idea about these "extra modules" that Justin is working on? I'm intruiged by his own descrption of how easily these modules can be swapped out. Sounds foolproof.
etysmile.gif
 
Mar 6, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #15 of 35

Squeek

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 9, 2005
Posts
1,545
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
Uhh, the GS-1 + HP-1 combo totally sucks I thought?
confused.gif



It does. Totally anemic bass, and cold to the point of sterility. A terrible match.

A GS1 and an overly warm and bassy headphone a la HD650 would be a superb match.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top