Cd's or MP3's?
Nov 18, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #16 of 37
SACD.

Still listen to Red Book, as well. For the iPod and computer-as-source, I much prefer to buy the disc and then rip it. I keep them as a backup and I like the artwork and liner notes, too.

Nov 18, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #17 of 37
Lossless or CD for me!
biggrin.gif

Nov 18, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lossless files, Squeezeboxed, which I rip from CD's that I buy. So I voted CD.......

x2

Viva La Squeezebox!
eggosmile.gif

Nov 18, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #19 of 37
I voted for MP3 because I never actually pop a CD into a drive and listen to it. I listen to encoded files on the computer. It looks like I'm only the second person to vote for mp3, so I must have treated the question differently than most of you.

Nov 18, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #21 of 37
I buy CDs. I listen to CDs mostly, then XM radio second most with MP3 listening bringing up the rear.

I guess I forgot about my vinyl rig, it's broken right now.
frown.gif

Nov 18, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by lextek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My intention was to find out if you listen to CD's as a source or some type of "ripped" source. Oh well.

OK, so how do I answer you poll? Given what I've said, which option in your opinion would most accurately describe my listening habits?

I'm not trying to start a fight here, I'm just trying to figure out what to put that would give you the info you're seeking.

When I read the question, I interpreted your use of mp3 to imply files download either legally or illegally. Perhaps I was assuming too much.

But that aside, there is still no truly accurate choice for me. Mp3's are not the same as flacs, even if they are both digital.

Nov 19, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2

I buy the CD's, rip them into digital format.

Flac for home use via Squeezebox3, mp3 on my iPod.

You poll has WAAAAAAY too few choices.

Like most things in life, this question isn't digital, there are far more states than 1 and 0.

Absolutely. Setting up EAC properly really only takes a few seconds (set to secure and google your read offset for your cd drive) for perfect rips.

Nov 19, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #24 of 37
I buy the cd then rip it in 320kb mp3. I might go through and try some different formats to see if I can hear a difference.

Nov 19, 2006 at 9:07 AM Post #25 of 37
Like most people, I: buy CDs, rip them to lossless, and convert to mp3 for portable use. It's a shame that you can't get good quality music from online services like itunes. Who here wants to pay almost as much for a DRMed, low quality version of the music?

Nov 19, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #29 of 37
Step1: Buy CD from www.yourmusic.com for $6 shipped
Step2: Rip it to FLAC and also convert it to MP3 for my player
Step3: Enjoy it losslessly whenever and wherever I want

Nov 19, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #30 of 37
CDs or a cd ripped to either FLAC/Wave for lossle or ogg/mp3 for lossy. Depends on whatever the device is capable of with the one on the left first preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back