CDs/Albums everyone should own
Apr 11, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #16 of 33
You would have to add - (tried to add someone from each section)
Eva Cassidy - Live at Blues Alley
Allison Krauss & Union Station - live
Allman Brothers - At Filmore East
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Beethoven 5 & 7 - Carlos Kleiber and Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Sprial
2pac - Me Against the World
Jazz at the Pawnshop

Apr 12, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #17 of 33
Bob Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited is an album every fan of rock should own. It's possibly one of the most important albums in all of modern music, but it's also one of the very best. Rolling Stone Magazine even named it's opening song 'Like a Rolling Stone' the greatest song of all time, and a number of other media outlets gave it similar accolades.

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #18 of 33
Some things people haven't mentioned...

Rock:
"OK Computer" - Radiohead
"Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" - The Flaming Lips

Hiphop(could also be grouped in electronic):
"Donuts" - J Dilla

Electronic:
"Mesmerizing the Ultra" - Bassnectar
"Selected Ambient Works 85-92" - Aphex Twin

Apr 12, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #19 of 33
i'll add to what's been submitted -- hope to not duplicate anything.

jazz
- bill evans - waltz for debbie
- sonny rollins - way out west
- chet baker - chet
- ella fitzgerald - ella & louis
- diana krall - live in paris
- shirley horn - you won't forget me
- shelby lynne - just a little lovin' (really vocal, not jazz)

pop/rock
- beatles - sgt. peppers
- rolling stones - exile on main st
- led zeppelin - i
- led zeppelin - iv
- eric clapton - unplugged
- rem - document

classical (too much really to list here, just a few i listen to a lot)
- bach - goldberg variations
- mozart - clarinet concertos
- vivaldi - four seasons

Apr 12, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #20 of 33
Since there is a shortage of electronic albums..
-Lemaitre Relativity 1,2 & 3
-Purity Ring: Shrines
-Phantogram: Eyelid Movies
-Kill Paris: The beginning

I have about 20 more. But these are my top I suppose.

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #21 of 33
Rock:

Court of the Crimson King - King Crimson +1

Jazz:

Kind of Blue - Miles Davis +1
My Spanish Heart - Chick Corea

Hip Hop:

None Shall Pass -Aesop Rock

Pop:

Songs About Jane - Maroon 5
Continuum - John Mayer

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #23 of 33
Quote:
Bob Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited is an album every fan of rock should own. It's possibly one of the most important albums in all of modern music, but it's also one of the very best. Rolling Stone Magazine even named it's opening song 'Like a Rolling Stone' the greatest song of all time, and a number of other media outlets gave it similar accolades.

You got it. Even if you were not there, listening to this will give you an immediate appreciation of the era. Recommended with a Phil Ochs chaser:wink:

For Classical. The Solti Ring, once again a series of albums that stunned not only classical opera fans but music enthusiasts in general at the time by the pure excellence of the recording. It knocked more than a few bands off the pop top 100's in its day.

Bowies LOW, almost lost to the masses it is easily his most brilliant work from the era.

Jazz  Kind of Blue and Brubecks live double album the long version of Take 5 is awesome.

Can  Saw Delight the origins of Krautrock

The Jam, Setting Sons pivitol end of the punk age album.

Roger Waters   The Wall, Live in Berlin  The megalomaniac who opposed stadium rock, highjacks an entire city and most of the prominent musical acts of the time, with the very megaconcert designed as the protest. Awe inspiring by the pure mass hypnosis it engendered.

Tangerine Dream LiveMiles. New Age, perhaps, the birth of trance/electronica, definitely.

Mercedes Sosa Mi Historia, South America's legend recounting a life musically.

OOOPs Almost forgot. Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing. An album that almost never got released, saves a generations soul from the vapid hell of disco and launches M Knopfler on a career of unimaginable diversity.

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #24 of 33
Pink Floyd Animals, Delicate Sound of Thunder, Wish You Were Here, and The Wall. Yep, I like Floyd and since Dark Side of the Moon was listed already I second it.

Rush 2112 added again. Amazing.

Led Zeppelin 4...........

Fleetwood Mac the self titled album, and Rumours. Two amazing albums.

Heart Dreamoat Annie

I could go on but for now.......

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #25 of 33
Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd +1
Lateralus - Tool +1

^Two amazing albums.
For my suggestion...

Aqualung - Jethro Tull

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #26 of 33
Beck - Guero
Daft Punk - Discovery
Dr. Dre - The Chronic: It's a shame Dre didn't apply his talent to the Beats, but I really liked his first solo album, considering I tend to avoid gangsta rap like the plague. 
Gorillaz - Demon Days
Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Love Bad News

I would also highly recommend Earth, Wind & Fire, but most, if not all of their various compilation albums have been "digital remastered". Does anyone know how these remasters compare to their original versions?    

Apr 18, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #28 of 33
THIS

Good read...but the first review is TOTALLY right.

Apr 19, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #29 of 33
Quote:
THIS

Good read...but the first review is TOTALLY right.

The size of this book can be intimidating, but skimming it at least convinced me to try Dre's The Chronic despite my usual aversion to gangsta rap stacked with Dre's name on the Beats.

Still, I wished they found some other way to organize all the albums, rather than by chronological order by release. I don't really care when the album was made, since good music will be timeless. I think it would be easier to find new music if they sort albums by genre or something akin to what we're doing here in this thread.

On another note, turning it to a random page reminded me of this album I had that I forgot to mention earlier: Duran Duran - Rio. Another great rock album. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back