CDR burner/media problem
Dec 19, 2003 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

10SNE1

100+ Head-Fier
My CDR burner which is only a little more than a year old seems to be having trouble producing usable burns of MP3 files on some older 12x media which I bought in bulk and haven't opened to use in a couple of years.

To date, it seemed to work fine, burning CD copies of my original music CDs for use in my car.

Now I have a CD MP3 changer installed and just want to burn collections of my MP3s as files.

Using NERO, I sometimes get burn errors, unable to properly close the burn project. If it does complete a burn, the MP3 changer and another MP3 CD player I use have trouble playing the disk back - long seeks, garbly output.

Anyone have any similar experience? Is my CD burner going south? It is a Aopen 32x12x40 (rebranded as Cendyne).

Dec 19, 2003 at 9:18 PM Post #2 of 11
The first step would be to try some different CD-R's and see if you've still got a problem. It could be a simple compatibility issue between the older CD-R's you described and the burner. I wouldn't reach conclusions about the burner based on any one brand of CD-R.

Dec 19, 2003 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 11
I have tried several brands and speeds - 4x, 16x, 24x - all have problems to some degree when burned at rated or lower speeds.

The inconsistent results have me thinking that the burner LED may be going bad, or perhaps the lens is dirty.

When I have the time, I will take it apart and try to clean the lens (it's off warranty).

Dec 19, 2003 at 11:19 PM Post #4 of 11
you may want to re-install the Nero software and updates first. check for file associations. make sure that other programs are not set to take controll when they are started up; otherwise the system may hang. I have also heard that Nero6 does strange things which Nero5 did not with CD burners.

I had this type of problem when I installed Windows Media Player 9. I think it was the Adaptec Roxio plugin. Now I get rid of it whenever I re-install Windows Media Player.

And if you use Creative Audigy software, make sure that the Disc-detect isn't running in the system tray.

And as always, make sure that DMA is set in your CDRom properties. If you have a DVD on the same chain, make sure the CD burner is Master.

There's a NERO "laser calibration" which can be run before starting a burn.

Methinks that your problem may lie in the software you used to convert to MP3s. If it is Winodws Media Player (especially if being used with WXP), make sure that the encryption is turned off. Likewise, I suggest that you do NOT use variable bit rate recording as many players (especially DVDPs) have problems with v.b.r.; some DVD Players cannot use very high bit rates, nor under 128br. What does your car CD player manual say?

And as always, never buy CDRs that you can see through (which are usually the cheap off brands like Digital Research, etc. Me, I like TDK, Memorex and Philips. You can't give me Sony or Fuji).

Dec 20, 2003 at 2:11 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by 10SNE1
or perhaps the lens is dirty.

When I have the time, I will take it apart and try to clean the lens (it's off warranty).

Try using canned air first, not a lot at a time, as it can cause condensation. Just spray it in the opening in the tray toward the laser.

Dec 20, 2003 at 11:44 AM Post #6 of 11
Also check to see if your make of cd burner have issued any new firmware recently. I take no responsibility if you make a hash of installing it though
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 20, 2003 at 11:52 PM Post #7 of 11
Thanks to all that replied.

I think the problem may have been that I had THREE dodgy cakeboxes of CDR media - two 12x and one 16x.

I have been burning several disks of data on some 32x media at that speed and so far, the burn process and data integrity look good. The 32x media is a generic brand sold by Fry's called 'GQ'.

Almost sprung for a new DVD burner, but now I can wait until the price goes below $100 (by this spring, I predict).

I did upgrade to the latest drive firmware but still had problems with the 12x and 16x media.

Dec 21, 2003 at 2:58 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by 10SNE1

Almost sprung for a new DVD burner, but now I can wait until the price goes below $100 (by this spring, I predict).

I've already seen them well below $100 this shopping season.

Dec 21, 2003 at 5:08 AM Post #9 of 11
since it's for use in your car, always keep an eye on Best Buy sales. I bought 100 Philips CDRs for $1 after rebates ($20 before rebate).

Likewise they sell 100 packs of 40x Memores for $10 every now and then.

when you can get them at these prices (I usally keep a 100 pack for reserve), why bother with cheapy brands?

if you buy in bulk (spindles) you'll have to keep an eye on CD cases. Office Max usually has good sales. This past week they had 100 cases for $0.01 after rebates.

Dec 21, 2003 at 7:55 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

keep an eye on Best Buy sales

Yes, some of their post-rebate prices are attractive - if you can wait the months it takes for the rebate to be fulfilled.

Ironically, some of the bad disks I have were acquired in past rebated sales - but I didn't bother to sample them to see if they would actually be compatible with my burner. Next time, I will always sample the disks so if they do not work, I can return it for refund or exchange.

Dec 22, 2003 at 2:53 AM Post #11 of 11
Rebates are a pain in themselves. Sometimes you get them, sometimes you do not. Yeah, there's a separate rebate thread here.

Now answer me this - Why does Dell offer rebates when they ship straight from the factory??? Or maybe it is because they now sell on the Home Shopping Channels? But still, if you call 1-800-Dell, why have rebates at all?

As far as CDRs, I try to buy the packs with holders. Bulk packs are a pain if you run out of holders and then have to buy holders at retail prices. And some holders are better than others.

When Best Buy sells the Memorex 30 packs with holders for $9.99, that comes at 33 cents a piece. It's those 50 packs with holders for $10 that I want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back