Cdnow swallowed up by Amazon?
Dec 4, 2002 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

SumB

500+ Head-Fier
What the heck gives? Last night I'm browsing my choice online music store when I'm abruptly greeted to a screen citing site maintenance, and as of this morning the cdnow.com domain links to Amazon's music page (note the presence of the Cdnow logo top left corner).

Is this a sick joke? Say it's so!

Things that separated that site from the rest were its artist' biographies, passionate reviews, clean and intuitive layout, and massive selection of streaming samples in multiple formats.

And now, it appears no more.
frown.gif

Dec 4, 2002 at 7:53 PM Post #3 of 22
I don't think so.

Recently, Amazon realized that their technology was one of the best in term of online shopping. So they sell now the use of their system to other stores, these have no costs of software devlopment anymore and amazon receive money, everybody's happy
smily_headphones1.gif

ooh it goes even further here, I was too slow
rolleyes.gif

Dec 4, 2002 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 22
If you want reviews check out AMG's allmusic.com

I really like that site.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Dec 5, 2002 at 2:06 AM Post #6 of 22
i'm pissed. amazon's site is ugly, even if cdnow's most recent page had a popup.

oh well, at least it still gives me the information that i mostly use it for: release date and track list.

Dec 5, 2002 at 2:34 AM Post #7 of 22
So basically...

Amazon, CDNow, Virgin and whoever else sell the exact same CDs and DVDs with the exact same interface, shipping, customer service, etc. .... right? So there's no difference?

Bestbuy.com still has a lot of stuff cheaper.

Dec 5, 2002 at 4:33 AM Post #9 of 22
This is not good news... I used to use CDNow.com to check track listings, song samples, and professional reviews... now they have Amazon.com's annoying interface and lack of information. Oh well.
frown.gif

I thought Cheap-CDs.com was a good alternative for purchasing, but they screw up orders, have bad software, and they pack CDs in such a way that they break in shipping. Very bad company.

Maybe this means that the best way to buy music again is to go to your local music store and buy it there!

Dec 5, 2002 at 4:35 AM Post #10 of 22
My local music stores never have what I want and won't let me listen to samples.

Dec 5, 2002 at 6:24 AM Post #11 of 22
Say it isn't so! Cheap-cds sucks? Great, I was planning to do a big CD order when I got my new headphones, but I guess it will be from somewhere else now. And I was surfing CDNow like three days ago! I too used it to check information & listen to clips as an alternative to Amazon...

Dec 5, 2002 at 8:05 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by DanG
Maybe this means that the best way to buy music again is to go to your local music store and buy it there!

Nooooo, I loathe the local shops.... Not much for the discerning listener, although the Britney Spears, J-LO, and Eminem fans must think they'd died and gone to heaven.

And I cannot stand the atmosphere (case in point, Futureshop with the latest flavour of the minute single blaring on their boom systems, or the watchdog employees keeping close tabs under the false pretences of wanting to "help" the customers). The fact that they became an acquisition of Best Buy gives me even less incentive to purchase there.

Then there are the long lines at the cramped confines of A&B sound where apparently I'm the only person aware of a thing called personal hygiene.

Dec 5, 2002 at 8:26 AM Post #14 of 22
Yes, I seriously doubt I could find any CDs from any of my favorite bands at my local CD store. It's that bad. It's just way too mainstream for me...

When complete genres of music that you like are missing from a store (punk, electronica, metal), you know you're in trouble...and I wouldn't even dream of finding import stuff there. Do large music stores carry imports? I wouldn't even know, I've never been to one.

Dec 5, 2002 at 2:42 PM Post #15 of 22
Kelly: Check out Virgin Megastore at Mockingbird & I75. You can take any wrapped CD to a kiosk which will scan the barcode and let you play samples from it. Very cool idea. Great selection, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back