CDMA iPhone coming
Oct 6, 2010 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

cswann1

Headphoneus Supremus
Finally Verizon and Sprint subscribers may be able to get an iPhone.   Read about it Here.

Discuss...
popcorn.gif

don't you hate it when you make a spelling error in a title >,<

Oct 6, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 8
I like it! If Verizon runs a good promo on new service, I'll pay off the AT&T contract and dump them. AT&T pulled some funny business with me by adding packages that I *specifically* told them not to. I also get spotty coverage depending on where I am, so I've been waiting for an opportunity to dump AT&T.

P.S. I fixed the typo.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
I like it! If Verizon runs a good promo on new service, I'll pay off the AT&T contract and dump them. AT&T pulled some funny business with me by adding packages that I *specifically* told them not to. I also get spotty coverage depending on where I am, so I've been waiting for an opportunity to dump AT&T.

P.S. I fixed the typo.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh man that brings back memories.  I moved a few times throughout the 90s and earlier in the 2000's.  Each time, when I called the phone company to activate service, I said "look, I just want a dial tone, nothing else. No this package or that service". Sure enough, first bill comes and I have to call and spend an hour on the phone to get them to remove the junk and adjust my bill.  This happened at lease three times.  I swear I think it was policy to pile on the add-ons and hope the customer was too lazy to deal with it and just pay for it.

Anywhoo.   I've been with Verizon for three years.  No complaints from me (that's actually pretty atypical for me lol). I like my BlackBerry but I've always felt that Verizon has let me down by missing out on the good phones.  First it was the iPhone that AT&T got. Verizon should have mortgaged the farm to secure that phone, but oh well.  Then Verizon announces the new BlackBerry Storm.  I almost got one, but decided to see if it was really OK. Man am I glad I passed on that turd.  So now, BlackBerry has what looks to be a winner of a phone with the Torch and who gets it?  AT&T. 
angry_face.gif

I'm really not too concerned with having the "cool" phone. My phone is a tool, and all I ask of it is that it work with as little fuss as possible.  But I've played around with iPhones to know that its a really fine tool.

Edit:  Thanks for the fix

Oct 7, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
I wonder if they will be able to handle the load.

if the iPhone comes this year, noway..

speaking of the iPhone CDMA, the rumors have been around since mankind..seriously it's old..seriously OLD!! Nothing new...atleast until Steve says so on stage at a keynote.
there is obvious facts we all know, first off the CDMA iPhone will come one day..yes Apple will expand the US market, this is a given. second we know Apple has to test the chips inside long before this CDMA version hits the market..most likely the CDMA iPhone has been around being tested along time now..Gruber is really good at the rumor mill so pretty much if he says it's testing then Apple is testing now, but again they most likely have been testing the chips for awhile. most likely there will be one iPhone with a dual chip inside, Apple loves to make it easy on the people so coming out with a CDMA only phone is not in their cards. if they are testing the N92 code then that is the next iPhone for 2011, (call it iPhone 5, or maybe iPhone 4GS)  if they release a phone with dual chips that means at the very soonest we will see a CDMA iPhone will be June/July when the 2011 iPhone is announced. also what ever network the CDMA Phone is released on you can bet your life the pricing for data and plans in general will be very close to AT&T, esp on the different data packages with different limits to each..VZ has already said they will go this route if they need to. AT&T has the iPhone contract until 2012 and rumor has it has been extended because of the great iPad unlimited deal that was around, of course Apple and AT&T can end the deal sooner but given how much work AT&T is putting in for repeaters and building the network up in allot of cities i would not be surprised to see a CDMA iPhone come 2012/2013, which would make sense if Apple just started to test CDMA chips now. VZ has a large network but not a strong network needed to host the iPhone, watch and see how much upgrading they are doing over time to give you an idea if the CDMA iPhone is soon.

but then again the fun part of apple is the CDMA iPhone could come tomorrow..lol thanks for the link, either know the talk is old i didnt know Gruber commented on the testing of n92 recently..i needs to keep up on my daring Fireball studies!

Oct 7, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
Oh man that brings back memories.  I moved a few times throughout the 90s and earlier in the 2000's.  Each time, when I called the phone company to activate service, I said "look, I just want a dial tone, nothing else. No this package or that service". Sure enough, first bill comes and I have to call and spend an hour on the phone to get them to remove the junk and adjust my bill.  This happened at lease three times.  I swear I think it was policy to pile on the add-ons and hope the customer was too lazy to deal with it and just pay for it.

Anywhoo.   I've been with Verizon for three years.  No complaints from me (that's actually pretty atypical for me lol). I like my BlackBerry but I've always felt that Verizon has let me down by missing out on the good phones.  First it was the iPhone that AT&T got. Verizon should have mortgaged the farm to secure that phone, but oh well.  Then Verizon announces the new BlackBerry Storm.  I almost got one, but decided to see if it was really OK. Man am I glad I passed on that turd.  So now, BlackBerry has what looks to be a winner of a phone with the Torch and who gets it?  AT&T. 
angry_face.gif

I'm really not too concerned with having the "cool" phone. My phone is a tool, and all I ask of it is that it work with as little fuss as possible.  But I've played around with iPhones to know that its a really fine tool.

Edit:  Thanks for the fix

btw you realise the only reason AT&T gets all these phones is because of the big US networks its the only one that uses the same set up as most of the rest of the world, if you make for gsm/umts then you get access to a huge market.  if you make for cdma you dont. 

Nov 3, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
btw you realise the only reason AT&T gets all these phones is because of the big US networks its the only one that uses the same set up as most of the rest of the world, if you make for gsm/umts then you get access to a huge market.  if you make for cdma you dont. 

Well, corporate back-scratching is as common as political back-scratching, and  I think a lot of it has to do with how well the "lobyists" do their jobs. The US CDMA market is still strong enough to merit serious consideration by any cell phone manufacturer methinks.

Quote:
Actually Apple went to Verizon first but they wanted most of the control which we know would have seriously crippled the phone.

Figures.  I hope Verizon learned from that bad decision. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back