cd900st questions
Jan 13, 2013 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MrViolin

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys, I've been looking through some phones for the higher end recently, and one of which is the cd900st.

Do the pads wear out as fast as the V6's pads supposedly can (~6 months-a year earliest I've seen)? If so, where can I get replacement pads for them?

I've also heard that these guys are A LOT better in terms of balance and detail than the v6/7506.

Are these meant to be amped? I would assume such,since it has a 1/4" connector. But then again, I'm not sure how studios work.

Answers would be appreciated! 

Jan 14, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #2 of 6
The pads are made from what appears to be the same material as the V6/7506 pads. I have used them for a few years and my pads have not worn out as of yet. However, this varies according to the environment and perhaps even your personal perspiration chemistry.

I don't know of a US source for the pads. However, the MDR-V6/6506 pads fit. But beware: the CD900ST pads are about 1/2 the thickness, and using thicker pads destroys the critical sound balance. You can modify V6/7506 pads by submersing into boiling water with a flat heavy object to press down firmly on the pads for a minute or so, then remove and dry the pads between towels with heavy weights bearing down on the pads while drying. Also, you will have to remove the foam layer from the V6/7506 pads that will otherwise interfere with the CD900ST's intended high frequency response.

It does not matter if you 'amp' these headphones. They have high voltage sensitivity making them ideal for portable players. I use them for portable applications and thus I cut off the 1/4" plug and installed a standard 1/8" plug.

The balance is extremely neutral through most of it's bandwidth; but the upper treble is rolled off more than many people prefer.

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #3 of 6
By foam layer, do you mean the part that covers the driver? >:0 the pads can take boiling water + being crushed? I never imagined...

Ah, do you sweat a bit after listening to them for a while? I sweat with my v-6's n wipe it off whenever there's still sweat on it. How have you taken care of yours?

Thanks a bunch searchenabler!

Jan 14, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #4 of 6
ill take a pic of my cd900st pads after using it for 3 years. just send me a PM so that it would remind me.

you cant use the v6 or dt250 velour pads because it will make the cd900st's sound very wrong. tonal balance will go haywire. also, the fit is less loose than v6, the cd900st literally just sits on top of your head. there is this "magic" thing going on to keep it on your head so that it wont fall no matter how you shake them. i guess its the sweat sticking to the pads and your skin.

and yep, they are ALOT better than v6/7506. take this with a grain of salt but IMHO the cd900st is about 5x better than v6/7506. could be more.

they are for studio use, so the 1/4 inch plug is a given. they sound great straight from your dap. i usually use them unamped since i terminated the plug using a 1/8 inch plug and made it shorter for portable use. the cd900st sound loud for a 63ohm because of its high sensitivity, just like searchenabler said.

amping them adds the amp's sound to the general sound of the cd900st since the headphone is very transparent and revealing. if you backread all of the older threads about the cd900st, some people even prefer its tonal balance than a cd3000.

also, these are not high end, but its enough to kill some "higher tier" headphones due to its transparency. lastly, the cd900st is a "hit or miss" headphone.

Jan 14, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
ill take a pic of my cd900st pads after using it for 3 years. just send me a PM so that it would remind me.

you cant use the v6 or dt250 velour pads because it will make the cd900st's sound very wrong. tonal balance will go haywire. also, the fit is less loose than v6, the cd900st literally just sits on top of your head. there is this "magic" thing going on to keep it on your head so that it wont fall no matter how you shake them. i guess its the sweat sticking to the pads and your skin.

and yep, they are ALOT better than v6/7506. take this with a grain of salt but IMHO the cd900st is about 5x better than v6/7506. could be more.

they are for studio use, so the 1/4 inch plug is a given. they sound great straight from your dap. i usually use them unamped since i terminated the plug using a 1/8 inch plug and made it shorter for portable use. the cd900st sound loud for a 63ohm because of its high sensitivity, just like searchenabler said.

amping them adds the amp's sound to the general sound of the cd900st since the headphone is very transparent and revealing. if you backread all of the older threads about the cd900st, some people even prefer its tonal balance than a cd3000.

also, these are not high end, but its enough to kill some "higher tier" headphones due to its transparency. lastly, the cd900st is a "hit or miss" headphone.

thanks Dyaems! will do.

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #6 of 6
Here are the pics of the pads. I personally think they get to look better after use lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back