CD3000 vs. K1000 initial impressions
Mar 10, 2004 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

the terabyte

100+ Head-Fier
my cd3000s came in today and i've just been listening to the past couple hours (no burn in, i know) and just switched back to the k1000s, which i was unsure of in the past, due to their missing lower octave. let me emphasize the fact that both these phones are connected to the same amp, which is definitely not worthy to power them
wink.gif
, but should still provide some kind of baseline (i'm basing this more off their signatures than small intricacies). once a victor emerges, the loser will be sold (i can't afford two headphones and amps) to finance a nice amp.

anyway, when i first put on the cd3000s and started playing some music, they sounded quite good (the first music i had heard yet today). very comfortable and surprisingly light for their size (they don't feel huge at all on the head). the sound was perfectly balanced to me, with a maybe a bit of elevated treble that i like. then, about an hour and a half into my listening, i put on santana's supernatural. different from the other albums i had listened to before this, there is quite a bit of time between some of the notes (rests for you music people) allowing me to see the limitations of the cd3000s closed nature. unlike i remembered songs like "corazon espinado" being incredibly punchy and airy, it all seemed to run together. i'm not sure if this is reverb or what, but definitely not a good thing, in my opinion (i know others like this). it did seem to harm the phones detail a bit, as there was just more sound going all over the place.

now i pulled out the k1000s and gave them a listen. beyond the absence of this reverb and increase of detail, they made the cd3000s sound almost bloated or nasal-y. the upper-midrange or something thereabouts was so prominent on the cd3000s in comparison that when i went back to listening to them, it was all i heard
frown.gif

at any rate, i'll give them to the end of the week, but at this point, i think they k1000s have a permanent home here.

Mar 10, 2004 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 16
The CD3000's definitely have a reverb to them -- your ears are good to pick it up. One way to test this is to generate a sound file that contains point sounds (blips) and listen to them on the CD3000. The presence of reverb should be obvious when comparing with a differen 'phone (such as the K1000 or even the V6.)

Mar 10, 2004 at 9:49 PM Post #3 of 16
Unfortunate. Let us know how it ends up after burn in. I am interested in a closed pair of headphones for monitoring purposes that's better than my V6s.

Mar 10, 2004 at 9:59 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
Unfortunate. Let us know how it ends up after burn in. I am interested in a closed pair of headphones for monitoring purposes that's better than my V6s.

yes, i think the reverb factor might hinder that, but i don't have too much experience with headphone monitoring (i use the house sound). the bass extension isn't equal to what the V6s have, but there is a bit less of the mid to upper bass, which i like. the high end doesn't have the sparkle of the k1000s, i should add, as well; its more comparable to the V6s in extension at this point than the k1ks.

Mar 10, 2004 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 16
I wonder if sound deadening material added to the inside of the driver cups will alleviate this. or at least acoustic cotton (after removing the foam donut).

I also wonder if this isn't a case of midrange suckout, as I expressed in another thread.

Mar 11, 2004 at 4:10 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
I wonder if sound deadening material added to the inside of the driver cups will alleviate this. or at least acoustic cotton (after removing the foam donut).

I also wonder if this isn't a case of midrange suckout, as I expressed in another thread.

i'm not sure i want to crack them open before my 30 days are up, but i think that could definitely make them more listenable of it worked.

they're really great headphones, don't get me wrong, but it just sounds to me like the k1000s are on the next "level," whatever that is.

Mar 11, 2004 at 6:11 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by the terabyte
i'm not sure i want to crack them open before my 30 days are up, but i think that could definitely make them more listenable of it worked.

they're really great headphones, don't get me wrong, but it just sounds to me like the k1000s are on the next "level," whatever that is.

Just curious, where did you buy them? I haven't found any store that gave a 30 day money-back guarantee on the CD3000s.

Mar 11, 2004 at 6:41 AM Post #14 of 16
Hollies' "Little Woman With A Red Dress On."

Hey, I also like the way it does pianos. Or anything with transient attacks (or riffs) (other than kettle drums). Horns I find a little strident. I haven't listened too closely to oboes, but I do like violins and clarinets on it.

I definitely have to get some Santana, prefably DVD-A or SACD.

Mar 11, 2004 at 8:31 AM Post #15 of 16
terabyte,
your descriptions are exactly why i don't like the CD3000's. that effect kills the separation and detail, imo. and that nasaly sound doesn't do them any good either. i sold my AT W1000's for the very same reasons. i think you might benefit from trying the HD650's (although your wallet may think otherwise). they have such blackness in between notes that it doesn't even feel like you're listening to headphones. this further adds to their ability to be able to attack notes with extreme accuracy and an almost scary quickness...so very lifelike. another member named tubroller said that the HD600/650 are the closest thing you can get to listening to speakers...i agree with him 100%.
i heard that K1000's at a meet once and they are similar to the open Senn 600/650's in that they can display an incredible ability to separate quick notes and sounds with extreme ease. imo, i think headphones benefit much more by having nothing else but your ears (basically no inclosed chamber) effect the sound coming out of the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back