CD3000 that good?
Mar 21, 2004 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 111

gort

100+ Head-Fier
From reading CD3K threads last few days there appears to be universal praise for them. Is there anyone out there who doesn't like CD3K? If you don't like them can you tell me why? I want to hear some CONS instead of only PROS (hype) about them.

Mar 21, 2004 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 111
jpelg is one of the rather verbal opponents, try PM'ing him. WalliJohn, gerG, and a few others also don't like them, but to a lesser degree.

Mar 21, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 111
And you have not read any cons yet?.....then you haven ot read enough, in this forum you may find for each guy that likes the CD3000, about 3 that will bash it all the time, that is why I decided to take the torch from Dough's hands, he was ptretty tired of it, and begin the CD3KLF......
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2004 at 9:34 PM Post #4 of 111
Well, as an owner of the CD3k take what i'm saying with a grain of salt.. but I am trying to be objective.
biggrin.gif
So here goes:

1) The CD3K is a very coloured sound. If you don't want that, you won't like them.

2) The CD3K does *not* go well with a digitally harsh source, or a source with not-so-smooth treble. An example is the stock RME with the CD3K, which I found unlistenable.

3) They're very big, and quite substantial. Although I find they sit quite comfortably on my head, for some this is a problem.

4) Being a closed 'phone, your ears can get hot after extended use.

Hope some of this helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2004 at 9:44 PM Post #5 of 111
Colored sound can't be natural I take it? I joined head-fi less than 2 months ago and still learning all the buzz words. My dream headphone is one that'll produce the same sound as live music. With my 6 years of concert band and some marching band experience I know how each instrument should sound.

Mar 21, 2004 at 9:48 PM Post #6 of 111
Quote:

Originally posted by gort
Colored sound can't be natural I take it? I joined head-fi less than 2 months ago and still learning all the buzz words. My dream headphone is one that'll produce the same sound as live music. With my 6 years of concert band and some marching band experience I know how each instrument should sound.

Go for the Grado line of products then.

Mar 21, 2004 at 9:51 PM Post #7 of 111
as i've posted before, i found they had a reasonance/reverberation/echo/slowness (one of the above at least) that ruined some types of music for me (keep in mind that i'm not talking in absolutes, there is no such thing, this is relative to the k1000s, both phones on the same system/amp). they also (or perhaps related) sounded even more "closed in" than even my 7506s, despite the decidedly huge sound stage.

that said, they are the second best headphones i've heard and if you were looking for something that doesn't leak too much sound and has a somewhat tipped up towards the top in tonal balance, they're sure to please (assuming you don't mind/notice/hear what was noted above).

Mar 21, 2004 at 9:54 PM Post #8 of 111
Quote:

Well in my experience, the CD3K is actually quite good at making things sound "like they're supposed to".. i.e. with these headphones I literally said "so THAT'S what a sax sounds like!" or something to that effect.

To me, (and I mighr be wrong, hehehe) the word coloured implies it's not "true to the recording".. i.e. it has a non-level frequency range, or it brings out certain things whilst dampening others.

Now, in my opinion, staying true to the recording is silly, especially with rock, because a lot of rock is recorded and mixed badly.

But granted, some people prefer the non-coloured and "true to the recording" sound.

Okay, so recap: The CD3K is natural, but not neutral. In my humble opinion, my CD3K represents the music as it might sound live better than my HD590's ever did, and it's because of their coloured/natural nature.

EDIT: gort, I disagree with the comment that you should check out the Grado's.. I don't think they portray music "like it sounds live"

Mar 21, 2004 at 10:10 PM Post #9 of 111
I plead the 5th
wink.gif

Mar 21, 2004 at 10:10 PM Post #10 of 111
Quote:

Originally posted by the terabyte
as i've posted before, i found they had a reasonance/reverberation/echo/slowness

What kind of slowness?I thought they're very fast/dynamic

Mar 21, 2004 at 10:13 PM Post #11 of 111
Oh come on jpelg, a Team CD3K member like myself can comment on why people might not like it, but a "CD3K basher" like yourself won't say anything?!

...are you chicken?
very_evil_smiley.gif

EDIT: The above was a joke, btw... don't want people to think i'm an ******
eek.gif
*pokes jpelg* you still love me, right?
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2004 at 10:16 PM Post #12 of 111
cadobhuk- he may be confusing the CD3K's ability to convey trailing tones and echo effects very well. At first this kinda freaked me out, but once I adjusted I love it. Nothing like hearing those cool effects in Psychadelic Techno sound even trippier
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2004 at 10:16 PM Post #13 of 111
OK...

People that like the CD3000's like a sound that is bright, boomy, echoy, and sizzly. It's kinda like nails running down a chalkboard in an echo chamber. This is with many sources and amps (tubes or SS). And this is far from "natural".

Grados are anything but boring and flat. Their worst criticism is their smaller than average soundstage. But that is juxtaposed against their immediacy, and dynamic punch. The entire line from the SR40's on up (not to mention the classic Joe Grado line) are hands-down, way more natural than the CD3K's could ever hope to be (well maybe not the SR325's that are kinda bright too).

You can like the CD3K's. I don't care. Just don't ever call them "natural".

Mar 21, 2004 at 10:21 PM Post #14 of 111
Quote:

Originally posted by the terabyte
i found they had a reasonance/reverberation/echo/slowness (one of the above at least) that ruined some types of music for m

Was the echo in the recording accentuated or was it artificial (produced by CD3K)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back