CD3000 + RKV vs. HD600/Cardas + Cosmic...
Jan 14, 2003 at 12:01 AM Post #16 of 33
vwap, just ignore all these fools, get a pair of rs1's and start enjoying your music
tongue.gif

Jan 14, 2003 at 12:05 AM Post #17 of 33
Another issue remember that the CD3000 could be virtually driven by any source is only 32ohms, opposite to the HD600 300ohms, that means that you could get the cans first, and then decided is it worth to keep the Senns or not to go for the amp later, just an idea....(and don't forget the impedancer with the RKV if you go for the CD3000 at he end OK?)

Jan 14, 2003 at 12:08 AM Post #18 of 33
And get later a big familiar tube of Aspercreme with aloe vera (just for the pain in ears) with the RS-1 after 1/2 hour of use for the first three or four months, later on, maybe you could resist them for more time without screaming....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2003 at 12:10 AM Post #19 of 33
roos, who knows.. I might just do that.. but I'd need to find a good deal on a pair of them.. but of course, I'd need to audition them first..

Sovkiller: yeah.. I'd probably order the RKV + Impedancer at the same time. I've got lowly SR60's to drive, too. :p

... maybe I'll put up a WTB ad ...

Jan 14, 2003 at 12:31 AM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by vwap
Well, I'd better get the Chaplain ... thanks to doug, here goes the wallet -- again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyhow, if I weren't concerned in the least about portability, and sonic quality was my only concern, what would be my best bet?

I'm currently using a Headroom Cosmic with Base Station One thru to a pair of Sennheiser HD-600's with Cardas replacement cable, with the source being a Sony SCD-CE775.

The HD600/Cardas on the HeadRoom Cosmic is not a bad pairing at all--even as a stationary system. You can get better, of course, but it'd be better if you stated what you felt was wrong with your system as it is. Different people have different preferences and priorities and without knowing what your complaints are, most advice here is useless.

Jan 14, 2003 at 12:59 AM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
The HD600/Cardas on the HeadRoom Cosmic is not a bad pairing at all--even as a stationary system. You can get better, of course, but it'd be better if you stated what you felt was wrong with your system as it is. Different people have different preferences and priorities and without knowing what your complaints are, most advice here is useless.

Fair enough. Well, honestly, I don't have any concrete complaints against my 600/Cardas/Cosmic combo. I've heard much about how smooth tube amps are from a whole lot of people here, and, while not as portable, I have the feeling it'd enhance my listening experience. Like I said in an earlier post, I'd like to A/B the two with both cans to get a better idea of what the big differences are, but I just can't afford to do that. Although, once I get my RKV, I may call up Headroom and have them send me a Cosmic and/or Max to audition. [If they'll send me a Max, that is.. I've always wanted to see how that thing sounded..
biggrin.gif
]

Anyhow, overall, while I enjoy my Cosmic setup quite a bit, I can't help but feel that there's a whole new level of sonic bliss I could reach with a similarly priced tube amp. However, honestly, if nobody bought my Cosmic, I'd be [almost be] satisfied with my system as it is... being able to lug it around and all...

So basically, while I'm not disappointed at all with my Cosmic, it's the knowledge that I could ahve something that suits me better for about the same amount.

However, I've yet to decide whether the 600's are better for me, or the CD3000s.

But in any case, what I don't know, can't hurt me. [Until I buy more stuff and then realize that I should have bought what I was initially considering
smily_headphones1.gif
]

Jan 14, 2003 at 1:08 AM Post #22 of 33
vwap
I can never remember who lives in what part of the country but I'm pretty sure I saw some Seatle meeting threads at one time. Why don't you try to get together with some of the Seatle people and try stuff out before you spend money on it? I'd hate to see you give up something you like and move into something you may not like as well blindly.

Jan 14, 2003 at 1:24 AM Post #23 of 33
Yeah.. there's been a few posts back and forth in the Meetings page about a Seattle meet... I've been trying to contact a local retailer that carries Stax to possibly audition some..

but looking at the profiles of the five or so that've responded.. it doesn't look like anyone has an RKV to look at..
frown.gif

Quote:

vwap
I can never remember who lives in what part of the country but I'm pretty sure I saw some Seatle meeting threads at one time. Why don't you try to get together with some of the Seatle people and try stuff out before you spend money on it? I'd hate to see you give up something you like and move into something you may not like as well blindly.

Jan 14, 2003 at 1:30 AM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by vwap
Yeah.. there's been a few posts back and forth in the Meetings page about a Seattle meet... I've been trying to contact a local retailer that carries Stax to possibly audition some..

but looking at the profiles of the five or so that've responded.. it doesn't look like anyone has an RKV to look at..
frown.gif

That's too bad. As you probably know, I do like the RKV quite a bit even though I'm not a fan of the CD3000 (many here are these days). A point I'd make to you is this: the CD3000 sounds quite different from the HD600 and the RKV sounds quite different from the Cosmic. If you're close to what you like now, you're taking quite a risk to jump ship for something completely different.

Jan 14, 2003 at 5:16 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

That's too bad. As you probably know, I do like the RKV quite a bit even though I'm not a fan of the CD3000 (many here are these days). A point I'd make to you is this: the CD3000 sounds quite different from the HD600 and the RKV sounds quite different from the Cosmic. If you're close to what you like now, you're taking quite a risk to jump ship for something completely different.

Any idea if there's anyone that offers a 30-day satisfaction guarantee on it? Meier doesn't seem to have one... but I wouldn't want to be shipping it back to Europe anyway..
smily_headphones1.gif

It seems, with either of the two US distributors, they don't offer a return policy.

Anyhow, I guess I'll just wait to see if anyone wants my Cosmic first...

Kelly, I've read your impressions on the 600/RKV. Between the time you wrote it and now, has anything changed your impression of it? If you've heard your 600/Cardas with one of Headroom's higher-end amps, what would you say was the most striking difference between the 600/RKV and 600/HeadRoom *X*?

Thanks much!

Jan 14, 2003 at 5:30 AM Post #26 of 33
vwap
The things I've always complimented the HeadRoom amps for, and particularly the Max was the blackness, speed and bass. The HeadRoom amps are very good at defining a three-dimensional space because of excelling in these qualities. It has only been recently that i've heard the Max equalled in these areas by Meier's latest offering.

Compared to the Max, the RKV's true strength is its open soundstage. I think the RKV produces a better out-of-your-head experience than any of the crossfeed filters do, but take that with a grain of salt because if anything is heard differently from person to person it is the "headstage" we talk about. I do think the RKV has a better handle on the HD600's loose bass but at the expense of being a little heavier than neutral on bass. No one seems to mind that though since the quality of the bass is so good. The amp is slower and there's a definite price for that but the liquid smoothness of vocals and airness in the treble region make up for it with me.

These are all very nice amps, just different. The Cosmic is much like the Max but the Max is just more of it -- blacker, cleaner, more articulate and even better bass response.

EDIT: Oh and sorry, no idea about 30-day return policies. To get anything like that you'd be looking at paying the full $1300 probably. I don't even know where to get the CD3000 new these days--I think most people pick them up from eBay.

Jan 14, 2003 at 7:17 AM Post #27 of 33
Another thing that's made me want to get a new amp is the fact that I can't just buy interconnects without wondering whether they'll fit... While I'd like to get a pair of Cardas Neutral References, I'm not sure whether they'll fit. In the Headroom Forum, Tyll said the diameter of the RCA input was 0.5". Cardas labels the Neutral Reference at 0.355"... so in theory, it _sould_ fit... but it just looks so damn big, and there's no Cardas distributors near where I live... [not that they carry the Neutrals anyway... checked with'em yesterday..]

Anyhow, I'm having second thoughts now about getting an RKV.
smily_headphones1.gif
If I sold my Cosmic, I'd be without a driver for my Ety ER-4s... and so.. I dunno. Maybe I'll save up and buy an RKV after I've paid off my car.. :p

Jan 14, 2003 at 7:49 AM Post #29 of 33
Of course, HeadRoom offers DiMarzio interconnects that fit the Cosmic.

Cables terminated with the smaller WBT locking plugs will also fit through the Cosmic's cable holes (assuming the cable itself is no thicker than the plugs) -- the locking collar on the small WBT fits through with enough space so that it can still be turned and locked/loosened. Again, I'm referring only to the small WBT plug, not the bigger ones.

One cable that I liked that I'm pretty sure will fit is the Audioquest Coral. It has a straight-barreled plug (non-locking) -- maybe someone on the forums who owns this cable would be kind enough to measure the plug diameter on the Audioquest Coral or Viper.

Jan 14, 2003 at 8:04 AM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by jude
I have Cardas factory-terminated Neutral Reference interconnects, and I happen to have a Cosmic Reference handy -- the Neutral References I have will not fit through the holes in the back of the Cosmic.

Damn. Well, I knew there was something fishy about the two measurements.

Jude, between the Cosmic Reference unit you have and your Max, what sort of differences are you seeing? Kelly pointed out the blacker blacks, speed and bass... are you experiencing about the same?

Also, what're your thoughts on solid-state vs. tube amps? I noticed that you've got mainly solid state stuff.. but if you've tried specifically the RKV with your 600s, what're your thoughts on it?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back