CD3000 + RKV vs. HD600/Cardas + Cosmic...
Jan 13, 2003 at 9:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

vwap

Padawan.
Well, I'd better get the Chaplain ... thanks to doug, here goes the wallet -- again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyhow, if I weren't concerned in the least about portability, and sonic quality was my only concern, what would be my best bet?

I'm currently using a Headroom Cosmic with Base Station One thru to a pair of Sennheiser HD-600's with Cardas replacement cable, with the source being a Sony SCD-CE775.

Now, while what I don't know can't hurt me, the number of current HD600 --> CD3000 defectors has been pretty big. Could be a fad.. but I'm not sure. Anyhow, if my basic tastes are classical, jazz, and some soft-rock/pop [specifically, contemporary Christian], which combo would be my best bet? Or maybe even a switcharoo, with the HD600 with the RKV and the CD3000 with my Cosmic?

Also, on a somewhat related [but not really] topic, would it be prudent to SACDmods my CE775, or should I just use this for now and upgrade to a much better source later?

Thanks much everyone!

Jan 13, 2003 at 9:29 AM Post #2 of 33
Oh yeah.. and to possibly throw another wrench into the works... how about the AKG K1000 with the RKV? I checked out the Meier Audio site and it states: "This amp is our first choice to drive the K1000. The symbiosis of the two is unique."

But is it better than any of the other combos?

Thanks again

Jan 13, 2003 at 4:01 PM Post #3 of 33
save up and get a better source instead of modding. the rkv rules and you most likely won't be upset after buying it. the cd3000 sucks, it's just a passing trend that shouldn't be.

Jan 13, 2003 at 4:29 PM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
save up and get a better source instead of modding. the rkv rules and you most likely won't be upset after buying it. the cd3000 sucks, it's just a passing trend that shouldn't be.

Grab the RKV and stay with the HD600?

Or grab a RKV and a different set of cans, just not the CD3000?

Jan 13, 2003 at 6:55 PM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by vwap
Grab the RKV and stay with the HD600?

Or grab a RKV and a different set of cans, just not the CD3000?

the hd600 with cardas cables is considered one of the best headphones in the world, both for the price and just being a great headphone. lots of people start with this setup and then feel the need to buy more, when it's really just silly (unless of course you come upon a grado hp-1 for a good price). for the money, i feel that you can't get much better than the hd600 unless you go stax, or are just wanting to move towards another sound (cd3000 = eek).

the rkv makes the hd600 sound about as good as i've ever heard them, and i've heard a lot of amps with them. plus, with the impedancer, it can do a great job with other headphones as well. i think the rkv is a step in the right direction, but i also think upgrading your source and buying more music is the best way to get more out of your headphone setup. unless of course you want portability, then i'd say grab some etymotics..

it's all how you really want to go. i'm just making suggestions that would've helped me a year or two ago.
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2003 at 7:30 PM Post #6 of 33
No cable or headphone amp can turn the drab, dull, veiled and boring HD600 into a CD3000. The CD3000 does not need expensive replacement cables to ameliorate its flaws-- it already has a top-end, clarity, and soundstage, thank you very much.
There are lots of people who will swap out cables, sources and amps only to discover their dissatisfaction may be with their HD600s. If you have any doubts about the Senns at all, you should check out the CD3K or the better AT's.

And be aware of the RKV's less than stellar reliability.

Mark

Jan 13, 2003 at 7:58 PM Post #7 of 33
I think the CD3000 is a sideways move from the HD600, even without replacement cables. Much better would be to spend the money upgrading your source or making the leap to something on the next level. For me the next level is Stax.

Quote:

number of current HD600 --> CD3000 defectors has been pretty big

Follow your ears, not the hype. I wouldn't buy an expensive (i.e. > $50) headphone I haven't auditioned first, and I find it odd that so many people jump off and on bandwagons and often lose a lot of cash in the process. I've auditioned the CD3000 and found it to sound decent, but not as good as the HD580 with stock cables. Others love it to death. With your budget I'd go right to Stax, but that's my preference based on my auditioning. So my advice is to not get caught up in trends, and to audition, audition, audition!

Jan 13, 2003 at 9:14 PM Post #8 of 33
Alright ... so lets say I want to audition the CD3K and some Stax's... Are there any retailers like Headroom that'll let me audition some CD3K's [and maybe a RKV/EMP/etc.]?

Likewise for Stax... What are the pros and cons of owning an electrostatic system? I see that HeadRoom has the Stax SRS-3030 Classic System for $1250. At this point, that would probably be the top end of my budget... Are there any other Stax systems that you [the reader] could recommend? I'm in the Seattle area... I've never really seen a great selection of cans at Magnolia Hi-Fi. I've seen the HD600s and maybe the RS2.. but it seems that's their high-end limit. =)

I guess now the questions grow...
smily_headphones1.gif
Stax... or a tube and HD600 ... or just keep what I have now...
confused.gif
I guess I've read way too much these past few days.. hehe.. in terms of a tube amp, now I can't decide between the ZOTL, RKV, or EMP, which has a pretty even split between each camp... which, in our Head-Fi world... applies to pretty much everything.
biggrin.gif

Anyone know of any good dealers around Seattle that I can check out?

[regarding portablility, I already have a pair of Ety ER4s.... so that's a plus for keeping my Cosmic... but .. the options!]

Jan 13, 2003 at 10:36 PM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
the cd3000 sucks, it's just a passing trend that shouldn't be.

Wow, I could just as easily have substituted Senn 600 in place of the CD3K here and been even more accurate. The trend of recommending the Senns over the Sonys to everyone should end, and the quicker the better.

I don't think that the Sony's are for everyone, but for those who are looking to buy something in this price range, and the Senns + cable cost MORE money, it should at least be reco'd to have the individual try them for his/her self. The combo of Sony CD3K and RKV is quite incredible, and takes the Senns and makes them sound like they really are - kinda sucky in many ways. Since it seems like vwap has read my and others' reviews, like MarkL's, he should by now be informed enough to ignore the ignorant ravings of people who listened to these cans at the WOHT for 5 minutes, and now jump on the trendy Sony CD3K bashing bandwagon forever afterwards. AC1 listened to these headphones at the WOHT, and at least he had the courage and integrity to listen to them with a different amp, and changed his mind 180 degrees on them. Some others should follow his example and stop their mantra diatribes every time someone considers these cans.

vwap and others: Just listen to all those who own the Sonys and own/owned the Senn 600s, and listen to those peope more than those who claim expertise in how something sounds from limited exposure, bad environment, and with a really bad combo that didn't work together.

One day the Senn 600s worship will end, and I for one hope that day is sooner than later. They are simply not that good, even with expensive upgraded cables. Period. They are no match when pitted against the Sonys, and in just about every way possible sound inferior to them.

[/rant][/time spent here]

Jan 13, 2003 at 10:40 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

number of current HD600 --> CD3000 defectors has been pretty big

Really, and notice how many are STAYING with the Sonys, even when they could sell them and go back at any time. THAT speaks volumes about the Sonys, and tells ME that the Senns just aren't what they're cracked up to be, and this "defection" proves that more and more with every "defector".

Jan 13, 2003 at 10:48 PM Post #11 of 33
Hey Doug,

With your RKV, have you experienced any reliability problems? I guess the RKV has a less than stellar track record.. but maybe there's been some that've gotten lucky..
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyhow, have you [or anyone else] A/B'd the CD3000 vs. the HD600 on a Headroom Cosmic/MOH/Max? I'd like to know if similar positive points hold up between the CD3000 on the Cosmic vs. RKV.

Thanks all!

Jan 13, 2003 at 10:50 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador

Really, and notice how many are STAYING with the Sonys, even when they could sell them and go back at any time. THAT speaks volumes about the Sonys, and tells ME that the Senns just aren't what they're cracked up to be, and this "defection" proves that more and more with every "defector".

You know.. I was just thinking this... I rarely see a CD3000 in Gear For Sale or on Audiogon... but I see Sennheiser 580/600's with Cardas, etc. all the time...

But perhaps this can be attributed to the sheer number of people that own 580/600's vs. the number who own the CD3000s... but then, maybe not...

Jan 13, 2003 at 10:57 PM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by vwap
Hey Doug,

With your RKV, have you experienced any reliability problems? I guess the RKV has a less than stellar track record.. but maybe there's been some that've gotten lucky..
smily_headphones1.gif

The reliability issue stems from two things: the blowing of fuses when turned on; transformer mounting onto the MB. So far mine was shipped from Germany to Canada, then Canade to the US. Tomorrow it will make the journey in my luggage to Ecuador. I wll report how it made the trip, but considering how badly luggage is treated I don't think any problems will be related to build quality. It is packed into a box with a ton of padding around it to prevent shock damage, so hopefully it makes it safely. Guess I'll know about midnight tomorrow night once it gets unpacked and ready to be plugged in.

Mine is a Mark II, so a lot of these issues have already been resolved. The blowing of fuses is stated in the manual, and you just turn the volume all the way down until it comes out of warm-up. Easy to forget, but so far I've not forgotten. Bad design, yes. Great sounding amp, you bet. Can it be beat at $800, I doubt it seriously, but that's just IMHO. I've yet to hear anything that sounded as god to MY ears, including the Ear HP4 that I had almost an hour with at Hirsch's place. Hirsch did finf some really awesome tubes since then, so my opinion might change after hearing it again in a couple of years. But then again, ad a couple times the price of the RKV, it had BETTER sound better!
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2003 at 11:38 PM Post #14 of 33
vwap:
If you are looking for something better of your HD600/whatever....is just because your are not 100% satisfied with the setup you currently have, or am I wrong? At least this happened to me, I can tell you that in my case I did not have the chance yet, of listening the CD3000 through anything closer to an ideal combo, not even a dedicated amp for low impedance cans, but to listen it through my Amp Two headphone jack, was more than enough, to think in selling immediately the HD600/MGHead/premium tubes combo, to raise money to go for a better amp for the CD3000. YES IS THAT GOOD!!!!....this is one of the cans I can live with, the rest of my life, without worry too much of any other, sorry I can't say the same about the HD600 even in a more closer to an ideal conditions setup, with all the respect it deserves.... I really encourage and reco you to give the CD3000 a carefull audition/consideration in a nice setup, you will be the only judge of whatever happen, and after that carefully and without rush listening, I will assure you that you will do the same as I did. What you noticed, is not a coincidence and I'm not saying that all these peole sold the HD600/580 to go for a CD3000, but at least to go for something else:
"......You know.. I was just thinking this... I rarely see a CD3000 in Gear For Sale or on Audiogon...but I see Sennheiser 580/600's with Cardas, etc. all the time...But perhaps this can be attributed to the sheer number of people that own 580/600's vs. the number who own the CD3000s...but then, maybe not....."
OTOH servinginecuador, hirsch, markl, and me, and not so many others here, have owned both cans for a long time, and I think that WE can talk with a little bit more accuracy of the differences or prefferences between these two cans....
Another remark, I don't know what better source are people talking about here, the Sony you have is an excellent source, there are a lot of pleople here that even made some reviews, connectig with PCDP, MP3s and even soundcards, etc... these are really worst sources than yours!!!!
On the other side according to the opinions of other headfiers, as I've never heard any, the electrostatics will never give you the bass extension, that you will find in the CD3000 in a nice setup, if you like bass, go away from electrostatics....
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Jan 13, 2003 at 11:56 PM Post #15 of 33
So far, I've put up an ad to sell my Cosmic. Although I'd love to keep it in order to A/B cans, sadly, I can't finance an RKV without it going. So, someone please buy the package.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyhow, I'll probably keep the 600s around for a while and save up to get a pair of CD3000s to A/B against with my future RKV... Then I'll make a decision as to which cans to keep. =)

But first.. it all comes down to selling my Cosmic.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back