cd3000 really that good?
Sep 22, 2003 at 10:18 PM Post #31 of 178
with all of the hype team CD3000 makes in here.. i bet someone will have them in the next meet
tongue.gif

and sorry for headphone bashing, i'm a part of that.
hope you'll have a better day tomorrow. and listen to lots of music to make it better.. that's the important thing of all!
screw hi-fi!
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2003 at 1:31 AM Post #32 of 178
Quote:

Originally posted by Sean H
Anyone else feel this way early on?

Yep.

My CD3000s have got about 130 hours on them so far and I still find them somewhat bright. I'm gonna' stick with it though...

Sep 23, 2003 at 1:46 AM Post #33 of 178
I had the issue that the treble just sounded to prominent; along with being slightly bright. I really noticed it with the gilmore v2 se because the amp has so much resolution. However, the brightness went away with break in. I then switched the interconnects to something a little darker and really hit on a combo I enjoyed. Now back to your original question, are the cd 3000's that good; absolutely. But it may take a little experimentation to get them to your liking.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 23, 2003 at 2:53 AM Post #34 of 178
The CD3000 is a decent headphone but the HD600, DT880, K1000, and K271s (roughly in that order) all outperform them.

To me the sonies have an overhyped brittle sound with a colored bass and "plasticky" sonic signature.

Edit: The brightness is a problem, when comparing sonies to live classical music they are MUCH brigher than BEING the musician (this is coming from a dude who spends 4-6 hours a day on the violin). The sennheisers are not as bright as BEING the musician but I'll be darned if I couldn't find a headphone that sounds as close to being in the audience as the HD600.

Cheers,
Geek

Sep 23, 2003 at 6:40 AM Post #35 of 178
Geek,what;s your source?
I believe the sony outputs whatever rubbish the source is spinning... because they're extremely detailed and transparent.
Before this I had marantz 6000OSE and the cd3k revealed all the sad truth...
tongue.gif

I had to settle for the MF A3 .. and finally they make a nice combo
biggrin.gif

I agree with you sony tends to be a bit on the bright side
wink.gif
. But it can be tamed easily with the IC change, power cord etc
wink.gif

Sep 23, 2003 at 7:36 AM Post #36 of 178
i take geeks coments very seriously because of a couple things...
he even has a sort of bright source, a sony cd player, and still says his HD600's are very natural sounding.
and also because he, like me, has had a lot of first hand expereince with instruments...both playing them up close and personal, and sitting in a music hall at a symphony.

Sep 23, 2003 at 8:16 AM Post #37 of 178
The bigger question is how long Geek had those phones. I haven't had the K1000, but all others I've had (with the K271 being the shortest time) and in no way do those outperform the CD3K.

Sep 23, 2003 at 8:36 AM Post #38 of 178
check out the other thread bangraman.
geek is all about the senn sound.
careful though, it is dangerous over there.

i can see his point, not many regular phones match the sonic signature of the cd3ks(ath-100ti, grado) in the sense of how much the music is right in your face.

Most other phones sound like crappy sennheisers, so that is how many are conditioned to think music sounds like.(and maybe it does)

So when one puts on sennheisers it sounds like what they are used to hearing, just infinitely better quality. That is how it was for me, my first "good" phones were senn hd525

I know alot of people that would choose the sony v-crap over my 100ti's(and grados) because of how "harsh" they sound.
Personally, I am a musician(jazz sax, rock drums) and have worked around live sound alot, the cd3000's come the most close to making me feel like I am up on stage. That makes them the best to me.

Sep 23, 2003 at 9:02 AM Post #39 of 178
Quote:

Originally posted by raif
I know alot of people that would choose the sony v-crap over my 100ti's(and grados) because of how "harsh" they sound.
Personally, I am a musician(jazz sax, rock drums) and have worked around live sound alot, the cd3000's come the most close to making me feel like I am up on stage. That makes them the best to me.

You want to feel like you're up on stage when listening to music? That's certainly unusual, all right. What do you do when you get around a pair of speakers, stick your head into them?
tongue.gif

Sep 23, 2003 at 12:43 PM Post #40 of 178
i won't second raif, but he's got a point.
for me, the sony's are quite laid back - but they sure give you the essence and excitment of the real life, and are more speaker like then the HD600 for sure, the frontal sounstage is amazing.. i have no effort at all seeing things in front of me with no crossfeed. it chalages the L/R separation of headphones.
now i see why markl don't like crossfeed, if he's got CD3000 and even that better sony..
and talking about drums.. the CD3000 is MUCH better with the drum system balance then any other i tried. drumming with no balance between the different parts of the set ain't no real musical base for the music. my only complain against them is that the cymbals are a bit too echoing with their lower frequencies.
but it's nothing like the shortcomings of the HD600 in this area.

Bangraman,
did you fix that comfort thing of the CD3000?
biggrin.gif

what was uncomfortable??

Sep 23, 2003 at 12:58 PM Post #41 of 178
Quote:

Originally posted by zeplin
i take geeks coments very seriously because of a couple things...
he even has a sort of bright source, a sony cd player, and still says his HD600's are very natural sounding.
and also because he, like me, has had a lot of first hand expereince with instruments...both playing them up close and personal, and sitting in a music hall at a symphony.

Well if you know, hd600 is on the dark sounding on the more neutral equipment. I believe somehow that the bright sony will counter the dark sounding senn and the synergy is quite neutral. That is system matching. That's why people with senn likes the x-can too..coz they're bright
tongue.gif

Sep 23, 2003 at 1:31 PM Post #42 of 178
yeah, Zeplin, that was a self goal there
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2003 at 3:47 PM Post #43 of 178
Quote:

Originally posted by AdamZuf
Bangraman,
did you fix that comfort thing of the CD3000?
biggrin.gif

what was uncomfortable??

No, I never fixed it. Unbelievable as it may be, they were too small for me
eek.gif

Sep 23, 2003 at 6:54 PM Post #44 of 178
wow.. you really got a big head
biggrin.gif

i remember: "does anybody else find them uncomfortable?"
i wondered what's not comfy about them, even when i didn't have them.
mmm...you like the sound.. can't you do something about this? like, somehow making a bigger upper (the hard) headband ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back