cd that might destroy hi-fi equipment
Aug 30, 2007 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

onyu

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Bought a cd on ebay wich claims that the playback on hi-end gear might destroy it.

this is the cd 'Namanax - Multi-Phase Electrdynamics'

This is the back of the case
namanax50rp1.png

And now the question...

Any one willing to try this disc on his high-end gear and see if it is possible?
biggrin.gif

ow yeah my cdplayer is an old pioneer laserdisc player not really high end
tongue.gif

Aug 30, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #2 of 28
Lovely choice, turn it up!!!
wink.gif

Aug 30, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #4 of 28
sounds like a lot of bull for "we buggered the recording of this up by setting the recording level to high"

give it a go, I bet there's newer released mastered even hotter.

Aug 30, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #6 of 28
Nothing like that will "destroy" my hi-fi rig, I have PLENTY of head room to spare, especially at normal listening levels.

I ain't skeered, send that bugger to me,,, I'll play it!

Aug 31, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #8 of 28
It's just a warning that if you crank it up too high, you can blow out some cheap equipment (i.e. consumer grade) because everythingis pushed so high. Just turn it down for starters, and turn it up to a level you want to listen at.

Aug 31, 2007 at 11:18 AM Post #11 of 28
I've seen this before on an experimental album... had something to do with it not conforming to the red-book specification.

Yeah, just dug it up... it's called "Release Your Mind". It says on the cover:

Warning, several tracks were mastered with continuous over-level indication and sub-bass processing that can and will destroy speakers and/or stereo components.

And inside it says:

Tracks #5 and #13 were digitally mastered using the SPL Vitalizer, and Sony DAL-1000 in conjunction with the Sony PCM 1630. All efforts were made to exceed typical limitations of 16-bit linear digital technology - compression, limiting, and equalisation curves have been created to deliver maximum gain structure. The PCM 1630 master tape for this recording was printed with continuous overlevel indication (OL) at the request of the artist/producer, this CD is not in accordance with Sony Phillips Red Book Specification, nor is this process advisable in the process of CD manufacturing. Please exercise extreme caution when utilising this Compact Disc on consumer grade high fidelity playback equipment.

Aug 31, 2007 at 11:23 AM Post #12 of 28
Ah; there's the difference. While the OPs quote didn't specifically suggest that bass was also enhanced, I guess we have to assume that as well.

Aug 31, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #14 of 28
Oh, just realised my disc has the same warning -- the picture in the OP didn't load when I first read this thread!

My CD is also by Release Entertainment.

Quote:

they know it will generate many more sales

Yeah, I think that's part of it too.

Aug 31, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #15 of 28
Ok thanks for the replies

I didn't know about the warning when i bought that disc so it was not a reason to buy it
tongue.gif
Just bought it because it was cheap and noise
icon10.gif

Disc plays fine on my low-fi cdplayer and it didn't do anything to my Stax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back